TM Cpc home or classroom

Hi guys im hoping to do my TM Cpc this year I am considering the home study then test so to avoid the additional cost of the down time from work to do classroom based course. Is the home study any good? I realise it’s a lot to take in and would have to be very disaplined to study properly is it really a viable option on passing first go?? Who’s done it successfully and who hasn’t ■■

Thanks in advance for your input

Mrp:
Hi guys im hoping to do my TM Cpc this year I am considering the home study then test so to avoid the additional cost of the down time from work to do classroom based course. Is the home study any good? I realise it’s a lot to take in and would have to be very disaplined to study properly is it really a viable option on passing first go?? Who’s done it successfully and who hasn’t ■■

Hey, I am currently do the home study for the PSV TM CPC, got the pack from Friendberry and it seems to be OK. As you already said I have found it requires a lot of disapline, from my point it has not been bad studying it along my university work a bit each week. But I am still going to book at least the 2 day revision course before the exam.

I guess it really comes down to how well you study by yourself, the course is aimed to at the same level of completing an A-Level to give an idea of the level of study. And best of luck with it.

I did it

Hello mate. I recently did my TM CPC using home study and it is not easy but definitely “do able” if you apply yourself fully. I got a first time pass for both R1 and R2. Most training providers use the EOS training manual and you can go direct to them to buy it. Google EOS and You will save a fortune and they really are good people to deal with. The only other tips I can give are - structure your training and study each module in the manual then do the sample exam in the manual straight away. Do not move on until you fully understand the subject in that particular module. Allow yourself study time each day and stick rigidly to it (away from kids and telly if possible). Take the revision notes in the cab with you and look through them at every opportunity, find who your local CPC training provider is and book yourself in for the 2 day workshop course before the exam date as you will need to know specific ways of how to word the answers to the R2 case study paper questions. Good luck!

I dI’d think about the home course. However after attending a 8 day course and watching others come in at the last minute from home study and not have a clue or using out of date notes. I would recommend a course.
I can’t speat for all training providers however the one I used was very good ( bazed in Crawley)

Thanks for the input guys it’s given me some food for thought for sure hard to know what to do for the best especially with two young kids at home ! Don’t want to end up being penny wise pound foolish lol

For my sins, I used to teach the operator CPC course, but decided to ditch it to keep my focus on ADR and DGSA back in 2008ish after giving it a try for a couple of years.

My first observation is that there is no one-size-fits-all solution to gaining the operator CPC qualification, because all people have differing abilities and so learn in differing ways.

Speaking very generally, I remember that the guys who’d done the classroom course tended to fare much better in the CPC exams.
IMHO, this was because they had the opportunity to interact and discuss things with their classmates, which I often saw led to a “we’re all in the same situation, so we’ll help each other out and beat it together” attitude.

Still speaking very generally, I remember that the guys who’d done home-study tended to fare much less well in the CPC exams and needed more re-sits.
During the time I spent helping these people to get on-track, it became clear that the reasons for them failing their CPC exams were variously and in no particular order:

• Lack of focus on the task they’d set themselves
  • Using poor quality training materials
  • Using out-of-date training materials
  • No opportunity to discuss anything that they didn’t understand, which invariably led to them having to make assumptions
  • No realisation of the time/effort/standard/discipline needed to accomplish the task they’d set themselves
  • Inability to measure what progress they’d made, or areas of improvement needing to be addressed
  • Lack of reality check
  • Unfocused/unguided revision

Putting it quite simply, not everybody has the ability to gain the operator CPC qualification, because not everybody is capable of passing an exam that’s levelled as approximately equivalent to an “A” level in terms of the degree of difficulty involved.

My honest wish is that there should be a compulsory assessment and offer of assistance requirement on any provider who offers this qualification in order that unsuitable candidates don’t waste their time and money.

I’d advise candidates to avail themselves of the ‘taster day’ that reputable operator CPC providers offer, but I’d also advise candidates to be realistic and not let their heart rule their head because a reasonable standard of English and maths WILL be needed in order to pass the CPC exams, so the ‘taster day’ really IS your friend.

That way, a candidate would have some idea of what’s required before making the home-study Vs. classroom decision, or even whether any of it is a good idea for them.

:bulb: Cheapest isn’t always best. :wink:

I have had both the National and International CPC’s for over 10 years now, so the training may have moved on since I did them.

However echoing what Dave said I would go for the classroom course. The vast variety of things you have to know is daunting, and I can’t see how a home study course can give a student a grasp of something they don’t understand. I think the ability to discuss things with a tutor and other students is invaluable.

Mrp:

All the previous tests are online mate, aswell as the guidelines that the markers have to follow. so you will be able to assess your own performance from there.
You will note that a scheduleing question is probably worth 12-ish marks, as is the costing question, as is the case study question that’s normally focused on application and what forms are relevant to that case study.
Nail these three areas and you will pass.
With regards to all other chapters, then flick through these whilst on a loading bay, but it won’t make a difference if you do or do not know if you are legally required to carry snow tire chains in Finland or how many toilets an employer should provide if haveing 50 employees on his work premises.
Just nail Euro driving hours, costings, and the O’ licensing process and you’ll pass it.
The advantage to the one-three week daily classes prior to that will be your head will be in exam mode and rested accordingly, rather than wound up from the weeks ■■■■■■■■■ if you were on the road.
Don’t automatically assume that class hours alone will get you the pass, but you will already be able to assess your own ability and the likely advantages of having class time.

Unless you are hoping to be an owner driver and want to get into an Operator Licence on the cheap, the CPC on it’s own isn’t enough of a qualification to get a job as a Transport Manager. If you can afford it I would recommend the classroom course as it gives all the rules and regulations some context, and you can claim to have had some industry relevant training.