TM Bedford Warning Light

We have a warning light coming on. Its our 8V92 TM, speedo has a very small red light with a ! sign, comes on and off but stays on even with key off. Can anybody tell me what it means? Thanks

If this is in the tachograph it is because there is no chart in it. The two man tacho requires a chart in each position to turn the lightoff. If it is intermittent it is because the lid is not closed and locked properly. IIRC there is either another light or the same light which comes on as an overspeed warning on a Lucas Keinzle tacho, this is adjustable, but at the moment I cannot recall how to do it.

IIRC I thought the overspeed warning came on at 50mph and couldn’t be adjusted?

Heres a pic, might make things clearer

Open the Tacho, when fully open you should see a small white nylon screw head, small flat blade screwdriver and turn the screw, anti clockwise to lower the speed warning light.

You mean open the speedo? Is it not dodgy that its staying on with the key off? Its just started doing it, its like its got a short isn’t it? I have to turn isolater off to get light out

That is a Lucas Keinzle two man Tacho. It needs to have a chart fitted in the second man position as well as one in the driver’s position in order to extinguish the light. This second chart either needs to be a special plastic one or it needs to be renewed for each shift. This is because with no change of activity etc taking place the stylus will cut right through the chart in the same place and jam up the mechanism with paper swarf. The lid also needs to be closed properly and locked shut with the key.

If the tacho is an electronic version then if the battery goes flat the speedo needle will be stuck as far as it will rotate clockwise even when power is restored. To reset this open the lid and then lock it closed again.

Man I am completely lost when your talking about charts and paper. We have owned this truck for 20 years, never heard about that or had any previous issues with this light.

Huffa:
Man I am completely lost when your talking about charts and paper. We have owned this truck for 20 years, never heard about that or had any previous issues with this light.

Are you a gypo or classic enthusiast?

Do you use this vehicle on the road and in connection with earning your living?

you want it to look like this

tang tacho.jpg

Yes the TM is used to shift our earth moving equipment around on the road, my father drives it mostly, it is directly connected to my living and business
youtube.com/watch?v=LW172k77Um4

I am probably not alone in assuming that someone posting a message is based in the UK unless they indicate otherwise somehow. The type of speedo you have in your TM is called a Tachograph and is used to record the driver’s working hours. This requires a paper chart to be inserted. The device traces lines on this chart which show vehicle speed, distance travelled and what the driver ‘claims’ to be doing at the time. The ‘transport police’ for lack of a more easily understandable name, can stop the lorry to examine the charts. I expect you use a logbook for the same purpose.

As for the light, I suggest that you open the lid and check to make sure that there is not a lot of screwed up paper inside which may damage the mechanism and stop it working as a speedo. If you have not got a key to the lock have a look on ebay. Otherwise just ignore it.

Nice TM by the way. Carryfast will be having ■■■■■■■ over the Detroit.

picclick.co.uk/Analogue-Tachogra … 30188.html

Edit add: At the top of the tachograph are two round knobs. Since you don’t use the tacho, turn them so they both point to the symbol which looks like a bed, otherwise if the vehicle is parked unused for more than a couple of days the tacho can flatten the vehicle batteries.

Ahhh that explains things, yes sorry I should have said that I am in NZ, not many people here know much about the TM. I will follow your suggestions and see how we go. Thanks for that