Tiredness can kill

But not in this case, driver seems to have come out relatively unscathed. Not sure if diff lock alone will get him back to tarmac.

swindonadvertiser.co.uk/new … ng-asleep/

Gives me a…

Chance to tell the famous old story.

Lorry driver falls asleep at the wheel and ends up in a field off the motorway.

‘What happened?’ asked the police as they arrived on scene.

‘Dunno mate, I was asleep at the time’.

If I felt tired, then I would stop for a 30 min in the bunk.Used to tell the office, if they asked. What is cheaper, 30 min pay or a recovery charge? :smiley:
Never got told off.

i think with that luck an investment in a lottery ticket is needed
also a real life demonstation of what happens working long and variable hours

Extending drivers hours consultation answer right here :unamused:

His fault for having cruise on

dozy:

You’re suggesting…

That we ditch CC because it’s dangerous?

yourhavingalarf:

dozy:

You’re suggesting…

IMO yes in its current form
CC but needing to have the foot anywhere on the pedal except fully up or down would be much safer

ROG:

yourhavingalarf:

dozy:

You’re suggesting…

CC but needing to have the foot anywhere on the pedal except fully up or down would be much safer

It’s current form…

Hasn’t changed up until the last few years with adaptive CC coming onto the market.

How have all the major truck manufacturers missed this dangerous piece of equipment?

They told us at my place,if youre feeling sleepy,first thing is turn the cruise control off.If I feel sleepy,I drink 2 cans of costa,that does the trick with me

Getting a sudden sharp pain like perhaps a heart attack means the body automatically pulls the knees upwards so the CC keeps going = not a good idea and never has been

If that was…

As big a problem as you seem to think it is, then CC would have been banned years ago.

ROG:
Getting a sudden sharp pain like perhaps a heart attack means the body automatically pulls the knees upwards so the CC keeps going = not a good idea and never has been

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: come on now :smiley:

Cruise control isn’t the problem, the problem is the companies that insist that cruise control is used at all times, which is 12 months of the year, that is when cruise control, controlled by those companies, Is when it becomes a problem.
Cruise Control should be only used when the driver deems that it is safe to use, never by those who they work for!
Only once thankfully, in 33 years of driving a HGV, have I fallen asleep at the wheel in 2000 and got away with it (adrenaline works better than caffeine), and will only use CC when I think it is safe to do so, which is very rarely.

ROG:

yourhavingalarf:

dozy:

You’re suggesting…

If your going all health & safety just think of the repetitive strain/arthritis issues that would cause. And then all of the issues that would then cause.

There are monitors that can alert drivers if their eyes close for longer than a blink, their head falls forward or their eyes are not looking forward.
These monitors set off an audible alarm and vibrate the driver’s seat. They can be a bit annoying when reversing a triple road train, as that requires the driver to look into the mirror for an extended time. A minor annoyance.