'Tired' crash worker to get £1m

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/6587995.stm

Makes you sick.
I wonder if he would have got that result if he had killed 2 or 3 other people in the resulting crash.
Last I heard, free will is still an option in this country. Unless he was handcuffed to the steering wheel with a gun against his head, this accident is down to him.
Blaming the company is hiding the real issue - companies will always ask for more, it’s up to the worker to decide how much they get.
“A willing horse gets worked to death” - almost literally in this case.
And the real scream is that we end up paying for this, one way or another.

Well I disagree. He is a victim in all of this.

There are still drivers around ready to attack people in the industry who have been browbeaten into working hours they are unhappy with, or which cause a driver to be unsafe at the wheel.

No wonder we aren’t taken very seriously.

Off at a bit of a tangent here.
How many drivers would still go to work if they had a bad nights sleep and were still very tired?
To answer this, imagine that you are the only available driver and you have the truck keys and the load is due to go out at 4am - the boss has access to the spare keys but he is away on business, not due to come back till 9am.

In an ideal world I would agree with Smoker. Sadly this is not an ideal world.
It is interesting to note that the MD of the company was too tired to stay awake and presumaby he he had worked the same hours as the young driver.
Long hours have for too long been the mainstay of the haulage industry(although this wasn’t a haulage co) and if Smoker was correct in his assertion then there would have been no need for the EU to implement the 48 hr week.
Any hgv driver working regular nights cannot fail to have seen tired drivers wandering across the lanes, not because they WANT to go to work tired but because if they don’t go in then they will soon be out of work.
As I say , this is not an ideal world

Harry Monk:
Well I disagree. He is a victim in all of this.

There are still drivers around ready to attack people in the industry who have been browbeaten into working hours they are unhappy with, or which cause a driver to be unsafe at the wheel.

No wonder we aren’t taken very seriously.

Good job he wasn’t an airline pilot.

ROG:
Off at a bit of a tangent here.
How many drivers would still go to work if they had a bad nights sleep and were still very tired?

The simple answer is quite a lot. There’s some scary driving to be seen on the motorways around 4-6am.

I once worked at a firm like this where the boss used to say to us that firm tips all night to which my reply was simply they work all night but “I Don,t” so if you want to work all night be my guest and tip it yourself ! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Another firm I once worked for when they brought in the 15hr day.
Our T/M was telling us that he wanted us to work the 15 hr day when required and when I said when you fall asleep at your desk your head hits the desk and you wake up, when I fall asleep (if I am lucky) I will wake up in an ambulance or worse not at all cos, I will be in a coffin possibly along with some poor innocent people who just happened to be in my way when I fell asleep.

After giving his response to this which was I expect you work the 15 hr day unless you have a good reason not to (is tiredness a good enough reason, not according to him it wasn,t, his reply was have a sleep for 15 or 20 mins?) he then said I am off home for a rest as I have been doing this for 12 hrs and need a rest “nuff said” :angry: :angry: :confused: :confused: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: .

A fine example of how to lead by the example of “do as I say not what I do” ! :angry: :angry:

what we are forgetting here this isnt a transport firm its a kitchen fitting firm and they mostly work all hours on price work.

i would bet they had been on a job starting early in the morning and then well into the night finishing off. and i bet they got a fortune for it. its all to common in kitchen fitting and shop fitting game.

i used to work for shipyard in southampton and 4 off us got sent to ship in newhaven worked 32 hours ( no joke or eggaration ) then drove back home to southampton afterwards.

it does go on … not so much now but it still happens.