TIR plates??????

Have been reading this months Trucking mag and the article about Destination Doha,in it they say Quote ‘‘the syrians had relieved the trio of their TIR carnets at the entry border’’ .
My question is what do they mean TIR carnets and what does TIR mean■■?

Transport International Routier, or words to that effect.

In fact it might be Transit International Routier, Both are used.

TIR Carnets are a custom document which supposedly allows easier movements of goods in sealed trailers without the need for long checks of the goods at borders. Not used as much these days with the ever expanding EU.

Thankyou :wink:

Typically transport under TIR means the load is checked and sealed at it s point of exit for customs purposes. Provided that the seal was intact at the destination office with no sign of tampering it would be a straightforward clearance, On older Lancashire Flats, Trailers and Containers the TIR plate was also able to be sealed either by a small hole in a wingnut or a bracket that was able to be custom sealed.

Without plates or paperwork the load was going no further

Wheel Nut:
Typically transport under TIR means the load is checked and sealed at it s point of exit for customs purposes. Provided that the seal was intact at the destination office with no sign of tampering it would be a straightforward clearance the TIR plate was also able to be sealed either by a small hole in a wingnut or a bracket that was able to be custom sealed.

Could’nt exactly get all that Wheelnut?.As I remembered it TIR trailers are/were usually tilts or box etc and have to be tested and approved for TIR use with a valid test certificate.The trailer is sealed at port of exit and the carnet covers all borders crossed on route and is then discharged at the border crossing of the destination country if the seal is ok?.But the plates just show that the load is running under a TIR carnet and there’s no seal on the plates?. But containers usually travel under inland clearance not TIR?.

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:
Typically transport under TIR means the load is checked and sealed at it s point of exit for customs purposes. Provided that the seal was intact at the destination office with no sign of tampering it would be a straightforward clearance the TIR plate was also able to be sealed either by a small hole in a wingnut or a bracket that was able to be custom sealed.

Could’nt exactly get all that Wheelnut?.As I remembered it TIR trailers are/were usually tilts or box etc and have to be tested and approved for TIR use with a valid test certificate.The trailer is sealed at port of exit and the carnet covers all borders crossed on route and is then discharged at the border crossing of the destination country if the seal is ok?.But the plates just show that the load is running under a TIR carnet and there’s no seal on the plates?. But containers usually travel under inland clearance not TIR?.

Have you ever heard of open TIR?

To add my two pennorth, customs in Dover seem to now be so out of touch with TIR that they can manage to sign all volets but not remember to stamp all of them - if the driver also doesn’t notice you’ve a nice delay and big bill for manifest and customs ■■■■■■ to destination heading your way :imp:

Wheel Nut:

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

Maybe it’s for when using trailers not made specifically for TIR work as a guess ■■.But it would be something I’m not familiar with.But I think that even curtainsiders could’nt get a certificate for the types of work I know of ?.

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

Maybe it’s for when using trailers not made specifically for TIR work as a guess ■■.But it would be something I’m not familiar with.But I think that even curtainsiders could’nt get a certificate for the types of work I know of ?.

unece.org/tir/handbook/engli … ev9_En.zip

A little light reading about the TIR convention, but in my youth as a commercial bodybuilder we had to follow many regulations in order to keep up with legislation. I remember having a shelf full of new TIR Plates, brackets, wingnuts and sealing point protectors amongst my oil cans, brushes and dog clips. But basically as a lorry pulled into the yard after discharge we had to lift off the container or flat and do a quick inspection, if all was ok it was serviced or put back into the export stack. If not it was booked into the workshop for repair, refurbishment or replacement. It was in these faraway days that I recall the reason for the TIR plates having a sealing point and a document holder being a legal requirement.

I am not 100% certain where to find the relevant information today, but it comes in the construction and manufacture of ISO containers custom manuals. Have you ever followed a container and it says this vehicle must be repaired with Corten Steel? Well it goes a lot further and even the door hinges, floor bolts & paint must come up to a standard, there is a requirement to use Avdel blind fasteners or Huk Bolts in the repair and construction of ISO containers. Authorised repairers had to follow these manuals in order to meet the standards. To carry goods under customs seal, each unit will then have a plate fitted with a certificate number or you can have an individual examination which we know as GV60 / GV61 certificates, basically a description and dimension of the trailer with a photo and any markings plus the maximum number of sealing points.

This flatrack unit could travel on open TIR to any destination that is part of the agreement.

Not sure of the exact rules but look on the early pages of the astran forum and there is regs about running tautliners and euro liners on TIR rules. Some of the guys on the me in recent times will know for sure on the ins and outs.

Also see en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIR_Treaty

This topic has had me thinking for a while… :smiley:

Searching deep in the memory, I can remember the days when I did some TIR work to Spain. :open_mouth:

Some jobs needed to be customs cleared at either Irun or La Jonquera, whilst others were for border transit for forward (inland) clearance in Barcelona TIR park (or other TIR parks were available in other cities) whilst other jobs were needing a factory clearance at Zona Franca.

Who remembers the nice light (9t) work to the Phillips TV factory on Zona Franca?? (Circa 1982/3.)
That was a nice handy forward clearance, cos there was a well-cheap Makro restaurant nearby. :wink:

And yes Malc, I also remember the drilled bolt and wing-nut being secured by customs seal. :wink:

Carryfast:

Wheel Nut:

When travelling under TIR with a trailer,as I mentioned in the Chapman and Ball thread on the “Old firms forum”,the trailer number is put on the TIR carnet,which is a multi page document describing the load and can have as many pages as you may need for the number of borders you have to cross.
When the carnet is stamped up by customs in the country of departure,the TIR plates on the trailer are also sealed.
One page of the carnet is stamped and removed on entry and exit from every country you travel through,and the slip left in the carnet is your receipt that this has been completed.When arriving at an Arabic country,the contents of the TIR carnet are translated into Arabic on a manifest that accompanies the carnet,but the driver must take the TIR carnet back to base with him to prove the load got to the final customs point.