Tips & Tricks

Apologies if there exists such a thread but I thought a thread for tips & tricks for slightly more than newbies could come in handy!

I’m still fairly new to HGVing and I’m sure there are a lot of little things that I’m not doing only 'cause I don’t know about them.

I’m talking about anything from (legit) tricks with the tacho to manouvering to the best way to win the ‘traffic light grand prix’!

Steve

If you are running up through France, and your mate is running down through France, meet up at a service area halfway and swap peage tickets, then both leave the Autoroute at the penultimate peage, saves a fortune! :wink:

When doing bulk tipper work be sure to leave the passenger door unlocked, they always fall over on the drivers side leaving you with a handy emergency exit.*

*Except on E.R.F’s the windscreen always falls out

always carry:
jump leads,
socket set,
bag of pigs blood,
bolt cutters,
spare air dryer filter,
4’ scafold tube,
screwdrivers,
muslim deterent,
wheel brace,
crossbow,
photo copy of driving licence,
photo copy of passport,
anti muslim cream,
toilet roll,
and a copy of the koran.

Good idea for a thread. I was minded to start similar sometime ago but never got round to it.

On curtain sided trailers, to make it much easier to lift the front pole out & replace it, drop the unit suspension.

Along the same theme, if having to load from the back by pallet truck, (or cages) again drop unit suspension (and lift trailer if necessary) until the trailer is sloping down hill to the front. Makes the job so much easier.

Be careful about reversing this for tipping though. Pallets trucks don’t have brakes & untethered cages will follow you down the trailer when your back is turned.

Never take an “empty” trailer, without checking that it is really empty.

The one time that you try to be helpful and show someone else how to do something will be the time it goes horribly wrong and you will get the blame :laughing:

NEVER let anyone interupt you when carrying out your coupling (especially split-coupling) procedure.

Santa:
Never take an “empty” trailer, without checking that it is really empty.

been there done that… :smiley: TM’S fault though…

never eat yellow snow…

Don’t listen to drivers, they’re full of BS :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

On fridges to get a peaceful nights sleep get another job or drop the trailer and pull forward about 10 feet that’s just enough to deaden the worst of the noise.

To annoy other drivers at night…drop your loaded fridge trailer in between two sleeping drivers, then park behind it… :laughing: :laughing:

if on containers, 2 spider bungies, and a rubber type mallet/hammer can be handy.

use the spiders to hold the doors open, securely, when shunting around, and backing on bays, and hammer handy, for banging stubborn container door handles shut, also if you get a sticky twistlock, hammer is easier, than trying to kick it free.

Some pretty obvious things …1st two i didnt think of until i was told

1: When blindside reversing in a truck with electric mirrors adjust the passenger mirror as you reverse … that way you can always see the back of the trailer :slight_smile:

2: When dropping your trailer lower the suspension as you pull out from underneath it …that way you dont slam the legs down …you dont ruin the top of the mudgaurds … you dont look like a male chicken when you drive away from the trailer with your truck looking like a dragster (back end right up)

3: NEVER buy stuff from motorway services you will spend way to much… take enough food for the day in the form of sweets / fruit / biscuits ect ect aswell as your sarnies, never leave the house without a 2 litre bottle of juice in your bag … seriously BOYCOTT motorway services …rip off swines

4: Carry a pack of Baby wipes with you at all times … great for wiping minging trucks down …wiping grease off you …most importantly they are great for refreshing your face when you feel tired

Before climbing back into your cab when pulling off a dropped trailer have a quick glance behind the cab to check you’ve taken the suzie’s off.

When some stroppy goods-in clerk says “We can’t tip you for four hours, Driver”, don’t get angry, just say “Brilliant, I could do with a sleep, I’ll go back to bed, give me a knock when you’re ready”, and Old Harry personally guarantees he will be banging on your cab door ten minutes later to put you on the bay.

Reverse psychology, see. You have to know how to manipulate these idiots. :wink:

ALWAYS check the pin release arm is still engaged and dog-clipped before setting off after leaving the truck for a while. :bulb:

On a more serious note, follow a routine for coupling un-coupling IE; clip, susies, legs number plate handbrake and reverse the procedure to un-couple. Welshman’s tip to check everything before you get in the cab has saved me many times. Make sure you have the correct trailer, the paperwork and seal number match, if you find any damage make sure you report it. Get yourself a good atlas and spend 5 minutes planning your route, if in doubt don’t be afraid to ask. There’s loads to learn and this is the right place to get the correct info.

never ever tell the gaffer you hate going to london but love it up scotland, deny him the pleasure of ■■■■■■■ up your day

On a rear axle steering trailer, make sure you lock it before trying to reverse on a bay. :grimacing: :grimacing: