Tips please!

Well, off in a week and a bit to go drive for the Americans, you guys can line up and give me tips a class 2 driver should know about her CDL A test and driving semi’s on the wrong side of the road…

I take it that someone will be training you before the test. rent a car, preferably manual shift and drive around for a day or so. Buy and read the Comercial drivers manual well before the test / tests, certain chapters will tell you the different procedures for making turns (which are different ot the Uk)

When are you leaving :question:

Tips please!

Don’t eat yellow snow!! :astonished:

Alli,
The class A CDL for harvest drivers is soooooo easy you’ll be laughing about how easy it was when you pass!!! Just try not to Crunch those dam Range change boxes too much and let on to the examiner your double clutching when your actually using no clutch at all and “feathering” the gears and its all a doddle.Don’t forget that a 16 year old can get his class A CDL as long as they’re driving those big rigs on harvest work only (Scary thought or what) :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :wink:

I’ll probably find double-declutching easier anyway, I’m used to it. I spent 3 months driving an Iveco with a dodgy synchomesh and had to use it to get into a quarter of the gearbox :open_mouth:
Other question then, does it actually count as a full CDL if you’re a sensible age? And would I have to do it again next year?

Provided you also pass the “doubles/triples” and “Hazmat” there is nothing truck wise that you’ll not be able to drive and the licence itself lasts for 3 years,mine is up for renewel in May 2005.

Do I have to do much for the double/triples? And Haz-mat is just common sense most of the time isn’t it? IE, if it’s likely to go boom any time you call the fire service and tell them what it is, and what’s happening?

You will need to study for the HazMat test. I had let mine expire, and last year I decided to renew it for the first time in 8 years. It took me about 3 days of studying to get it down.

Coming from Europe, you’ll need to learn how to manage with longer trailers. 48’ is the shortest you’ll likely pull, with 53’ becoming the most common. They are 102" wide, and 13’6" tall. Most times, you’ll be driving with the tandems (sliding, on most trailers here) set anywhere from 40’ to 43’ back, measured from the kingpin to the last axle. Some states allow you to run “Texas style” with the axles slid all the way back, even on a 53’. Others require a maximum setting of 42’, 41’, or, for California, 40’.

If you get out west, you may very well end up pulling a 57’ trailer. With it set for the 40’ axle setting for california, that will leave you with about 15’ swinging behing the axles-good luck parking that in a truck stop space!!

The trannies on our truck are nearly all non-synchro, but are built extremely strong. 10-speeds are the most common, with 9-speeds and 13-speeds also being common. All use a range-finder, and the 13-speeds use a splitter as well.

You might want to study the US Bridge Law requirements, but most drivers know almost nothing about it, so don’t spend a lot of time on it.

Looks like I’ll be going book shopping then. Any recommended titles Alex? And locations to pick them up in a quiet place like Wichita?

She will be ok with the width and height Alex, most euro trailers are around 14’6", in the Uk they can go up to 16’6", also most euro trucks are about 6’ - 8’ wider than here, the wardrobe in most sleepers are situated at the end of the bed but I can still stretch out without touching either that or a wall. Most cabs are the same width as the 8’6" - 9’ trailers.

You don’t need any special books Alli,just get the reg Dep of Transport driving books, sort of the American version of the highway code.At the test station there is a small foldaway paper on the hazmat get this as its got all the answers in it.One guy with me was 57 years old and passed the works all first time,its all done on a touch screen computer and you can pass on a couple of questions as well as getting a few wrong!!!
The tests you will need to have are,Main DOT car driving,Combination,Airbrakes but it helps to also have doubles/triples and Hazmat.I even paid the “massive” amount of $5 and did the Motorcycle test as well,passed it without even looking at anything in the main book about bikes as most of it was common sense anyway.

You know, Pat, I doubt that trucks over there get that tall. Last time I was in England, I don’t remember the trucks being that big. In fact, I thought they were actually quite small. Here’s a pic of the kind of truck I used to drive:

That trailer is 13’6" tall, 8’6" wide, and 53’ long. Now, I’m looking at the pics posted on the photo section, and, as a fairly good judge of size, I don’t doubt that the trailers are as wide as American trailers are, but everything I see there looks like it’s between 12’6" and 13’ tall. Most trailers look to be about 42’ long, as well.

Now, as far as the differences in equipment over here: curtain-side trailers are quite rare, really only being used in the lumber delivery industry to any great extent. You will almost always find a dock, but some of these old docks might’ve been designed for the old days when trailers were 40’ long. You will find a lot of docks like that in the northeast. Be ready to do a lot more reversing than you are used to.

As far as studying-you’re best choice would be to take a quick junior-college course, one that will go through the basics, give you a truck to take the test in, and will give you enough classroom time to learn the hazmat info you need. Some companies will provide you with free training, provided that you stay for at least 1 year. If you really want to make mileage, join a company that hauls refrigerated freight.

Click Here for the guide to UK trailer dimensions

The section on Gross weights is out of date!! but the rest is accurate

Courtesy of Chris Hodge Trucks

13’6 tall eh? Only short then :wink: I’ve had a few at 14’ in my time here, and we go up to 16’ over here. Width wise, I trust Pat to say that they’re not much wider. Longest motor I’ve taken for a spin was a full size drawbar unit, which is what 56’ or so? Did ok on that on the old Brit roads, out in the plains states, 70’ shouldn’t be too much of a problem. I’ll keep an eye out for the books and the answer sheet :wink:
Of course I’ll go for everything I can, it all helps. Won’t go for bikes as I’ve not touched one in years here, and only have the moped entitlement. Cars and trucks tho :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

When I worked for Swifts (not the US company) we had three 16’6" tautliners and they were a pain in the rear end.
Most UK car transporters are loaded 3 decks to 16’3".
Also Alex the Volvo I drive now has the same design drivers section as an FH12 in the UK but due to the extra width the UK model has an extra panel in the dash and an extra storage compartment above. You, just as I did thought that they were smaller than here but as I have driven both I can tell you that they are not, the cabs here are much smaller, remember that an FH12 Globetrotter is a very high cab,. The Volvo VN I drive here has a much lower driving position (at least 10") then add the high roof and you couldn’t get one under a 13’6" bridge over here.

13’6 counts as a low bridge in my books, I tend to slow right down if I see anything with less the 14’ clearance, and just double (or triple) check the height marker on the truck. Agreed, many of the high top cabs over here are going to be over 13’6", the FHs and magnums are going to be 14’+. If Pat is right, and I’m sure he is ,these narrower cabs are going to be interesting. Most bunks here are across the back of the cab, and are 6’6 long bunks, which, if you add bodywork on, you’re looking at an external cab width of 7’ or so, plus mirrors adding another foot to that.

Sorry, Pat, but I’ve been in the business since 1988. To carry anything taller than 13’6" on any interstate highway requires an oversize permit, a route plan, and an ■■■■■■ car. Often requires police ■■■■■■, too. The NY state thruway, for example, has a maximum height of 13’6", and only allows overheight vehicles on special permits with planning ahead.

I’ve seen those Swift “Taughtliners”, and they are 13’6" tall, just like 99.9% of all the trucks on the interstates. Car carriers are likewise limited to 13’6". NHTSA sets the limits for federal roads, and states set the limits for non-federal roads. A quick look through my Motor Carrier’s Atlas shows that most states limit height to 13’6", a few limit it at 14’0", and one (Nebraska) at 14’6".

Many places in the US have height restrictions. The Pennsylvania turnpike does not allow vehicles over 13’6", due to tunnel clearance. The Eisenhower tunnel in Colorado requires all overheight trucks to use the pass, since it too is limited to 13’6".

When I first joined this industry some 16 years ago, an old driver gave me some advice: Believe only half of what you see, and nothing that you hear.

Alex, You missunderstood me Buddy.
I was refering to Swifts transport in the UK, I have only been here for 5 years. The 16’3" taughtliners were in Britain as are the car transporters.

That is certainly one thing I’ll have to remember then, that standard bridge/tunnel height is 3’ lower than over here. British (and I believe most European) bridges are always 16’6" or more, or marked if lower. Though I do know of a footbridge that has a hieght warning marker, and it’s got 20’ clearance! :open_mouth:

56’ draw bar on a new class II license!!!