Tips on driving lefthand drive lorries

Boomerang Dave:

mucker85:
the roads are bigger and the junctions are , mostly, much better.

Where?

Most places I’ve been to in Europe have more space available to them. I’ve used minor road junctions over there that would put some uk dual carriageway junctions to shame.

Can’t help as I haven’t driven a left ■■■■■■…

However, I think that it will soon click as has been said. Especially when over the water. I’m sure the experienced lads will correct me if I’m in error, but I imagine the hard bit is driving the left ■■■■■■ here rather than abroad. Especially when you get back here after being on the continent for a week or two.

mucker85:

Boomerang Dave:

mucker85:
the roads are bigger and the junctions are , mostly, much better.

Where?

Most places I’ve been to in Europe have more space available to them. I’ve used minor road junctions over there that would put some uk dual carriageway junctions to shame.

Where though?

Truckulent:

However, I think that it will soon click as has been said. Especially when over the water. I’m sure the experienced lads will correct me if I’m in error, but I imagine the hard bit is driving the left ■■■■■■ here rather than abroad. Especially when you get back here after being on the continent for a week or two.

Need to be able to drive them here first… Its very daunting knowing that very few UK only companies are interested in me so then to fine someone thats prepared to chat to me about going aboard providing i can pedal lhd and get on with everyone certainly puts the pressure on. Go on brain yeardleys website and they want 5years lhd experience in france italy and spain, i’ve only had my car license a year longer than that :open_mouth:

Saaamon:

Truckulent:

Need to be able to drive them here first… Its very daunting knowing that very few UK only companies are interested in me so then to fine someone thats prepared to chat to me about going aboard providing i can pedal lhd and get on with everyone certainly puts the pressure on. Go on brain yeardleys website and they want 5years lhd experience in france italy and spain, i’ve only had my car license a year longer than that :open_mouth:

You need to focus on the fact someone IS willing to give you a shot at what you want.
Don’t keep saying you can’t believe it - from what you say it sounds like it happening. Sometimes we do get a break. Don’t keep dismissing it. Don’t keep doubting your abilities either. There’s nothing more dangerous than being in charge of 44t and not having confidence in yourself. You need to remember they are interested in you because they have seen something they like. Focus on that and enjoy the experience for what it is.

Saaamon:

Truckulent:

I honestly think you’re worrying too much. Jump in and you’ll soon find out if you can do it or not, it really is the best way to learn. These days everybody is obsessed with box-ticking and arse-covering excercises, whilst the actual core business of moving goods gets less efficient almost by the day.

Every real job is smothered in red tape now, you being the age you are see it as normal, but it wasn’t always that way.

Don’t worry, just do it. You’ll be fine, I know you will because you’ve taken the time to ask sensible questions which means you have an interest in it. That’s half the job anyway :wink:

Well, if you can find a trailer in Immingham, I’d say you be golden.

You do seem to be worrying a little too much, but that is understandable. You’ll soon find out that driving a lorry no matter what side the steering is on no matter what country in is just like driving a lorry anywhere else. European work is easy, don’t let all the big men with their scaremongering stories worry you. Its easier to drive a truck in Europe than it is UK. Few days and you’ll soon get used to a LHD, and maybe even prefer it. Given the choice I’d have a LHD truck over a RHD one any day. You’ll get the job and get on with it, don’t let your confidence desert you and you’ll be fine.

It is an odd experience first time, for me i found it upset my peception of the vehicle width and so made it harder to get your road position correct.

Dont take to long for the brain to adapt though.

I don’t think there’s anything major to worry about, but Europe is HUGE! talking about it like it’s just one monolithic place - that’s just plain wrong. Lots of Europe is very very challenging, it depends on where you are sent. Germany and Holland are very civilised. Roads are no better than here, neither are the services. Most people speak very good English - which helps. Wait while you are sent through Poland to the Ukraine

Or Russia - then through Hungary to Croatia, or on a round trip of Italy.

Getting from one end of France to the other will cost a few hundred quid return - or several days… as with Spain.

What it is though… is deeply enjoyable, I think all HGV drivers tend to have the adventure gene and it does satisfy some of that.

Boomerang Dave:
I don’t think there’s anything major to worry about, but Europe is HUGE! talking about it like it’s just one monolithic place - that’s just plain wrong. Lots of Europe is very very challenging, it depends on where you are sent. Germany and Holland are very civilised. Roads are no better than here, neither are the services. Most people speak very good English - which helps. Wait while you are sent through Poland to the Ukraine

Or Russia - then through Hungary to Croatia, or on a round trip of Italy.

Getting from one end of France to the other will cost a few hundred quid return - or several days… as with Spain.

What it is though… is deeply enjoyable, I think all HGV drivers USED to have the adventure gene and it does satisfy some of that.

Fixed that for you :smiley:
Not any more, I know quite a few who think that the answer to everything is to phone the office. It’s a shame, the amount of licence-holders there are now. I don’t blame them totally, but some of the things I’ve been asked are shocking. Things I knew before I left school, in some cases.

After doing the m/e for two years in a right ■■■■■■,I went for another job and they gave me a driving assessment in a left ■■■■■■,fully freighted through the middle of Hanley and Stoke.My first time in a L/H and talk about a white knuckle ride!
Anyway,I got the job,and after the first trip I’d got into it driving either side of the water.
Got to the stage where when I changed jobs,I would only go to firms that had left hookers,it’s more hair raising driving a right ■■■■■■ over there than a left ■■■■■■ over here,believe me!

bestbooties:
After doing the m/e for two years in a right ■■■■■■,I went for another job and they gave me a driving assessment in a left ■■■■■■,fully freighted through the middle of Hanley and Stoke.My first time in a L/H and talk about a white knuckle ride!
Anyway,I got the job,and after the first trip I’d got into it driving either side of the water.
Got to the stage where when I changed jobs,I would only go to firms that had left hookers,it’s more hair raising driving a right ■■■■■■ over there than a left ■■■■■■ over here,believe me!

I always felt the opposite, scary stuff driving LHD in the UK, but never a bother with RHD abroad. Vive la difference! :smiley:

Scanner:

bestbooties:

I always felt the opposite, scary stuff driving LHD in the UK, but never a bother with RHD abroad. Vive la difference! :smiley:

Oui, Vive la difference!

I always have to think harder for the first few mins back in the UK,… than I every have on tother side - regardless of RHD or LHD. Odd, if I do say so myself!

Does anyone know if the Turkish border guards still take bribes, otherwise keep you waiting until the end of time?

Had a lhd car in Kos a couple of weeks back…first half hour was a bit daunting as ■■■■ all felt right but soon got the hang of things…except flicking the ■■■ ash out the window…that caused some screams from our mate and howls of laughter from me and the respective partners!! :blush: :laughing: Oh…and (dunno if it’s the same throughout) when you were on a roundabout, you had to give way to those that wanted to enter it! :open_mouth: They also had some ‘interesting’ information boards at the side of the road!!

edited to add the pic

SAM_1559.JPG

mucker85:
In the uk you will feel like you are driving in the hedge, it’s normal but feels wrong. Over the water will be much easier, the roads are bigger and the junctions are , mostly, much better.

Don’t forget the sunscreen for your previously Lilly white left arm. :wink:

Have you not driven in Holland then?

When I got my first left ■■■■■■. I turned off the radio for two days to allow me to concentrate. An old mate used to drive a roadsweeper and he showed me how to line my left knee up with the kerb so as to be always in the right position on the road.

There was someone here who frightened the instructor to death when they drove a RHD lorry in Holland

I find reversing a LHD truck easier than RHD, no idea why, its essentially just a mirror image of the same thing. Perhaps its because our trailers over here are longer, with less rear over hang so they just feel easier.
I don’t envy you driving a LHD truck in the UK though, with all the angled approaches to junctions and roundabouts, so that if you dont have the cab in the correct position, you’re not able to see traffic coming round the roundabout etc. I think driving a RHD truck in Europe is far easier, purely due to the difference in road layouts, meaning you can actually see, regardless of the side of the cab you’re sitting on.

Don’t worry too much about it Simon :wink:

The most helpful tip I was given 20 odd years ago was to line up your left knee with the gutter :smiley: That’ll take care of the road positioning roughly enough for you. At first every lamp and sign post will look like it’s trying to jump in front of you :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: but you soon get used to that :grimacing:

Approaching a roundabout or junction hang back a bit from the line, so as not to lose line of sight. Set your passenger side wide angle mirror beyond what you would in your right ■■■■■■, that way if you nalls up the last bit you’ve got a fighting chance :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Set your kerb mirror further out also, to begin with, to keep a better eye on the mythical “blindspot” area. You may be so busy concentrating on everything else you miss a car sat just out of normal range of it otherwise :imp:

Reversing is going to be easier than you think. Having experience in a righty will help your brains spacial awareness when blind siding it :wink:

Just relax and take your time pal. You’ll have it cracked in no time :wink:

Good luck with it all. It’s nice to see someone on here who seems to be a driver not a steering wheel attendant :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Oh and be prepared, regardless of UK plates or not, to be generally abused and unhelped by the knuckle dragging elements of the business. I’ve lost count of how many gobby heroes suddenly skulk off when the bloke in the left ■■■■■■ gives em a gob full in English :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

In all honesty, it absolutely frightened the ■■■■ out of me, would move the wheel whenever a lamp post or telegraph pole approached, was a danger at junctions too, especially the ones at an angle, and nearly killed a poor car driver, it was terrifying, but as time went on, it did become easier, and i found it was even worse on the continent, cos my side was the same side as their drivers coming towards me, my head was like noddys, only from left to right with the mirrors, forever looking, so just take your time, dont rush, be steady, always check your mirrors, be careful to line your self up at junctions, and on roundabouts, and at the end of the day, it will be like riding a bike all over again, and you never forget, a little nervous maybe, but never afraid…good luck