Tipping your own container

Carryfast:

simcor:
Think it’s pretty obvious they meant to the rear of the container for them to fork lift pallets off.

Worried about word getting back to the governor, thereby setting inconvenient precedents, bearing in mind that a lot of container work involves handball not pallets.
That’s the only logical explanation.
How many times have we heard on here of a mythical rule that container work supposedly means no interaction with the load.More like it just means that drivers know that it’s mostly handball work so they rightly just say no and the governor accepts it.( So far ).
Everyone knows that box work often means using a pallet truck to shift pallets to/from the rear of the deck to be forklifted off and on.

I love how you talk big but have a history of just doing whatever the boss asks, to the point of permanently damaging yourself. Not everyone is so weak willed and not all bosses are so devious.

The truth of it is, is that the container is temporarily leased by the owner of the goods. Therefore there is the liability issue if the driver, or anybody who is not employed by that company gets injured whilst inside the container.
Years ago the union had to fight to stop firms putting pressure on drivers to assist with the unloading of containers…so, especially in Liverpool, you would not dare go near the load. There is also the issue of the next driver being told to help unload, because the other driver did. That will go down great back at the yard. Prepare to be shunned.
If asked, and there is a valid reason, and if I am sure there are no conflicting interests, I would trolley pallets, but never handball.
The one thing I would never do is bleat some concocted story about a dinner date just to get a quick turnaround. Some people are just plain embarrassing.

Harry Monk:
… We had a container turn up at our yard on a Friday afternoon a week or so ago. Our goods-in staff checked his paperwork and said “You’re not booked in until five o’clock”. This was about two o’clock.

He said “Can’t you do me any earlier, I told the wife I’d take her out tonight, I’ve got to get back to Carlisle”.

Even if there was nobody on the bay AND the yard staff accommodated him straight away at two ‘o’ clock… allowing a reasonable amount of time for tipping… what time was our hero’s dinner date, and what were his chances of making it through the Friday traffic in time for any sensibly timed dinner date in Carlisle :question: :open_mouth:

Answers on a postcard. :grimacing:

:bulb: I’m not so sure about Carryfast cos I think I believe him on this one, I think it’s more like dozy and a steak dinner. :smiley: :smiley:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
Worried about word getting back to the governor, thereby setting inconvenient precedents, bearing in mind that a lot of container work involves handball not pallets.
How many times have we heard on here of a mythical rule that container work supposedly means no interaction with the load.More like it just means that drivers know that it’s mostly handball work so they rightly just say no and the governor accepts it.( So far ).
Everyone knows that box work often means using a pallet truck to shift pallets to/from the rear of the deck to be forklifted off and on.

I love how you talk big but have a history of just doing whatever the boss asks, to the point of permanently damaging yourself. Not everyone is so weak willed and not all bosses are so devious.

You seem to be confusing hindsight with talking big.Being devious goes with the territory of being a boss who’s job is to maximise profits including staff utilisation.
‘Something’ made him sit there rather than do what any bulk pallet
/box body drivers regard as routine and I think I’ve explained possibly why.
I didn’t do ‘what the boss asked’ I did what the union had agreed to on my behalf without my knowledge.
Not many options at that point especially after refusal had turned it into a disciplinary matter not one of being ‘asked’ to do anything.
Expect to see more of that type of issue as distance work is reduced and ‘drivers’ are redeployed to ‘other duties’ to make their time up and to save increased warehouse labour costs.

dieseldave:
:bulb: I’m not so sure about Carryfast cos I think I believe him on this one, I think it’s more like dozy and a steak dinner. :smiley: :smiley:

Or even ‘rather than’ Dozy’s dinner reservation.

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

You seem to be confusing hindsight with talking big.Being devious goes with the territory of being a boss who’s job is to maximise profits including staff utilisation.
I didn’t do ‘what the boss asked’ I did what the union had agreed to on my behalf without my knowledge.
Not many options at that point especially after refusal had turned it into a disciplinary matter not one of being ‘asked’ to do anything.
Expect to see more of that type of issue as distance work is reduced and ‘drivers’ are redeployed to ‘other duties’ to make their time up and to save increased warehouse labour costs.

I do love the elaborate tapestries you weave

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

I do love the elaborate tapestries you weave

There’s nothing ‘elaborate’ about the scenario of container driver arrives with a loose loaded container.Customer says no one here available to tip it you’ll have to do it.
Guvnor says what’s the problem you tipped the last one without any issues get on with it.
Or the scenario of arrive at the hub, drop trailer, park the unit, on the bunk and get the portable tele on as usual.
Someone knocks on the door says get on the dock and start tipping the trailer you’ve just brought in.
Then when you’ve finished that you load up the one you’re taking back.( All handball ).
To which politely declined.
Followed by disciplinary and suspension for refusing a ‘reasonable’ management instruction.
So leave the job at that point and prospective new employer asks the question reason for leaving previous employment and please provide a checkable reference.
Claim dole DWP asks same question.
It’s that simple.

He was early…HE should have done all that was required to help in the discharge…I would not mind betting that if the driver had said I will chip in with a hand they would have told him to stay in cab out of the way

Franglais:

the maoster:

shullbit:
some drivers are simply bone idle

And usually linked to stupidity too. How did the driver ever expect a different outcome?

All true.
And what will happen if another driver shows up, maybe with a genuine reason to get a quick tip? After this sort of attitude what will the yard staff think the next time?

It would have been poetic justice if the 18:00 delivery had shown up early and them tipped him with the forks and helpful driver, right in front of this knob’s cab. :smiley:

Carryfast:
There’s nothing ‘elaborate’ about the scenario of container driver arrives with a loose loaded container.Customer says no one here available to tip it you’ll have to do it.
Guvnor says what’s the problem you tipped the last one without any issues get on with it.
Or the scenario of arrive at the hub, drop trailer, park the unit, on the bunk and get the portable tele on as usual.
Someone knocks on the door says get on the dock and start tipping the trailer you’ve just brought in.
Then when you’ve finished that you load up the one you’re taking back.( All handball ).
Followed by disciplinary and suspension for refusing a ‘reasonable’ management instruction.
So leave the job at that point and prospective new employer asks the question reason for leaving previous employment and please provide a checkable reference.
It’s that simple.

‘Prospective new employer’……….good that you didn’t trouble yourself trying more than one

As I said recently I believe all your issues were personality based and fact you couldn’t manage to provide a single good reference from a near 20 year career just sort of backs that up doesn’t it.

switchlogic:

Carryfast:
It’s that simple.

‘Prospective new employer’……….good that you didn’t trouble yourself trying more than one

As I said recently I believe all your issues were personality based and fact you couldn’t manage to provide a single good reference from a near 20 year career just sort of backs that up doesn’t it.

‘Prospective’ new employer obviously means ‘any’ and by definition more than one.
You did read the written commendations I’ve posted.Strange how you choose to just ignore them.
Obviously moot if then left the job under a disciplinary suspension.
The fact that my guvnors later put me back on more or less the last proper trunk left on the firm, driving a more demanding configuration than a poxy artic, is reference enough.

I can understand the reasons ‘why’ the example in this case chose to decline the offer and it had absolutely nothing to do with not wanting to shift a few pallets from/to the rear of the load deck, or even from/onto a loading dock.
Which common sense says wouldn’t have been a problem.At least with Midlands-Carlisle type distances between drops/collections.
The clue is contained within the scenario described by the OP.Containers generally involve the implication of handball and lots of it.Pallet load today loose load tomorrow.

We do ferry trailers, and one particular place we go to, is 52 pallets of empty 25litre drums. If we want a quick tip, we are on the back like a shot, and all done and off we go. If we are not bothered, then we wait, but as all of our drivers like to get away asap, guess what is done without quibble?

Ken.

Container drivers its normally company policy not to go in. My contract clearly states under no circumstances must i be in the container. Most of our regular clients doors they open themselves.

Carryfast:

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

Change the record Carryfast, you polloute every thread to which you contribute, with this written diarrhoea.

Star down under.:
Change the record Carryfast, you polloute every thread to which you contribute, with this written diarrhoea.

Exactly what have you contributed to the thread.
I’ve made the case as to why the container driver probably would have declined the offer of helping to tip the load.
Especially in an environment moving towards more localised work involving ( much ) less driving time between drops/collections.
If you want to do the job of labourer/driver maybe you should leave Australia and apply to help reduce the ‘driver shortage’ here caused by drivers voting with their feet.

Carryfast:
‘Prospective’ new employer obviously means ‘any’ and by definition more than one.

Pluralisation exists for a reason, this. So be honest then- how many jobs did you apply for but turned you down?

Carryfast:
box body drivers regard as routine and I think I’ve explained possibly why.

Didn’t you read that back and think ‘hold up, this makes me look a bit spineless’? Fact is you worked yourself into a disability, you did what they demanded. Refusing only once you broke your back is somewhat akin to closing the stable door 15 years after the horse left on a glue lorry

This just sounds like another place that loves to ■■■■ your day up , 30 empty bays & they can only tip on one until the door / dock leveller breaks & then they can tip you on the next bay
And you’d think with Harry being a driver , and by the sound of it not doing a lot of anything other than earwigging conversation he’d of rolled his bloody sleeves up & helped a fellow driver out , get home
The only thing I can Blaine this driver is apparently accepting this crap , if it meant I wasn’t getting home they’d of got both barrels & some , ZB would I have a diplomatic conversation with a load of clowns ■■■■■■■ my week up
And as for all these drivers standing on the side of some goods in ■■■■■■■ , shame on you

Haven’t read the entire thread but if pallets were loaded double stacked then he would wouldn’t be able to unload out on the street.

However, I suspect the, ‘Missus is waiting for me’, ruse is just that.

Containers tend to stacked to the gills so who knows.

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

Pluralisation exists for a reason, this. So be honest then- how many jobs did you apply for but turned you down?

Carryfast:
box body drivers regard as routine and I think I’ve explained possibly why.

Didn’t you read that back and think ‘hold up, this makes me look a bit spineless’? Fact is you worked yourself into a disability, you did what they demanded. Refusing only once you broke your back is somewhat akin to closing the stable door 15 years after the horse left on a glue lorry

It’s clear that I meant ‘any’ prospective employer.

You seem to be a bit confused.
1 I didn’t have any back issues when I ‘refused’ to work on the dock at the hub.
2 I couldn’t apply for any jobs while under a disciplinary suspension on full pay.
3 I only went back under an ultimatum by the union work according to agreements or be sacked.
4 My back problems only started ‘after’ that and before I was put back on a direct trunk run.At which point no one knew what the problem actually was until after the GP hospital referrals and diagnosis had been completed.
5 I was later required to go back to hub system working and again refused.
6 The rest is history.Obviously all moot from 4.
Healthy horse treated like a mule and as a result was ready for the glue factory within a matter of months but just didn’t know it.
As I said I can understand the container driver’s reasoning.

Londontrucker123:
Haven’t read the entire thread but if pallets were loaded double stacked then he would wouldn’t be able to unload out on the street.

However, I suspect the, ‘Missus is waiting for me’, ruse is just that.

Containers tend to stacked to the gills so who knows.

If they’re double stacked pallets elf and safety says trying to move the stacked pallets with a pallet truck won’t cut it regardless of the dinner party.The forklift needs to go into the box to get em.
If it’s pallets today it’ll be handball tomorrow sounds more like it.