Tipping trailer weights

Hi all,

I was wondering what tipping trailers people on here are using, i currently have a stas op 67 yard, but with my new tractor unit (scania 164 480) i am taring in at 15:26 tonne :frowning:

Ideally i need to drop the trailer on a bridge and weigh it, the stas web site is saying it should be 6.275 tonnes, but that seems a tad optomistic, considering the size of it.

There is a Benalu for sale at Newton Trailers, they say its light, but ive not heard much about them, any info on the above would be great thanks :grimacing:

now, this is not a dig against the truck that you drive, especially when you bear in mind what my sigs are :wink:

but, have you considered changing your unit?

from what i hear, the V8 is over half a tonne heavier than an inline 6

if you swapped for an inline 6, that would put you approx 14.75 (ish)

jimmy,
your still 1/4 tonne lighter than the V8 actros I had for a short while! that was with a weightlifter on steel wheels.
On the other hand the mighty erf tared in at 14.10 fully fueled. that was with the new fruehauf. with the wilcox off T.O.F it was 14.48.
Keep the mighty V8 and treat yourself to a Newton spec Fruehauf on dca’s if theyve got any left. that will weigh 6.28 ish. bugger to wash but you cant have it all ways!!! or get a p cab 380 lol

Regards from the No1 tipper driver in the universe, Dozer x

shuttlespanker:
now, this is not a dig against the truck that you drive, especially when you bear in mind what my sigs are :wink:

My 105 and a 67 yard C/F goes 15-500/600 so Dafs ar’nt light

Are Kel-Berg still going :question:
They make a decent light bulker trailer T100 was it :question:

Found it T25 Lightweight:
kelberg.com/truck_search/det … 1&header=5

Dont Kelberg just put their name plate on other companies trailers? I know they did with a Boweld steel body and had the cheek to call it their own.
stick to fruehauf, weightlifter, PPG, wilcox or Montrecon ( with a wilcox body) all with Merc axles (5 yr warranty) and you wont go far wrong.

CRISPY - That Early GT Fruehauf are heavy old boats. Newton reckoned they weighed about 6.8 tonnes so the big daf would tare 15.100 with a Newton spec 65 Cu yd. :wink:

CRISPY:

shuttlespanker:

i never said DAF’s were light, i was comparing a topline 6 pot with a topline V8, not comparing a topline V8 with any other make, if i was going to do that, i would suggest a flat top renault premium, they are about the lightest out

dozer:
jimmy,
your still 1/4 tonne lighter than the V8 actros I had for a short while! that was with a weightlifter on steel wheels.
On the other hand the mighty erf tared in at 14.10 fully fueled. that was with the new fruehauf. with the wilcox off T.O.F it was 14.48.
Keep the mighty V8 and treat yourself to a Newton spec Fruehauf on dca’s if theyve got any left. that will weigh 6.28 ish. bugger to wash but you cant have it all ways!!! or get a p cab 380 lol

Regards from the No1 tipper driver in the universe, Dozer x

Well young L K, newton have got those new ppg’s there, 6,180kgs so they reckon, i am going to try and weigh the trailer at padeswood tomorrow Ces, ideally, a smooth sided one is better with that gear i carry, without saying to much!!

Regards from north wales’s No 7 tipper driver!! :grimacing:

shuttlespanker:

My previous motor was a topline 420 shuttlespanker, that was taring in at 14.900 kgs, but that meet an untimely end, when a transit van hit me

I think its time to sell the stas :grimacing: :grimacing:

CRISPY:

shuttlespanker:

I take it it’s a twin steer and they aint. Have borrowed an R420 with a huge WBS trailer this week. Twins steer 2 tanks doing itself no favours. Weighin in at 15.4t a tonne heavier than my li’l old CF DAF and nearly a tonne heavier than the Renault

Well the new 85 we got with a 67 yard 2009 ribbed Wilcox behind it goes 15-300

dozer:
Dont Kelberg just put their name plate on other companies trailers? I know they did with a Boweld steel body and had the cheek to call it their own.
stick to fruehauf, weightlifter, PPG, wilcox or Montrecon ( with a wilcox body) all with Merc axles (5 yr warranty) and you wont go far wrong.

Had a Kel-berg T99 insulated trailer with SAF discs for four years and took everything the quarry/tar work could throw at it.
Was one of the first KB trailers in NI and now there are a pile of the KB tippers running about here due to their VERY light tare for bulker work.
Used to be able to get a 30t payload on it and my Renault Premium loaded with 800l of diesel and steel wheels all round :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:

Things may have changed since 2004 but think they made the bodies in Poland and the chassis in England.

The newer fruehauf trailers are built to light no end of problems

(CHASSIS BENDING) round this area give dinky lomas a ring at buxton
How light can you go before your trailer’s built out of sod all ?

Personally I don’t know why anyone would buy a V8 Scania for bulk work. Every kg counts and surely the extra 10bhp between a 470 and a 480 Scania isn’t worth the most-of-half-a-tonne of lost payload? Half a tonne is over 2 grand a year in earnings if you’re on bulk work full time. My Premium/Fruehauf rig tares at about 14500kg and personally I still think that’s about half a tonne too heavy. That said I could get 150kg off that by putting alloys on the unit (the trailer already has them). The DAF thing is also a pitfall many seem to have fallen into. The 105.460 seems to be a good half a tonne heavier than the 95.480 which has caught a few people out.

Paul

repton:
Personally I don’t know why anyone would buy a V8 Scania for bulk work. Every kg counts and surely the extra 10bhp between a 470 and a 480 Scania isn’t worth the most-of-half-a-tonne of lost payload? Half a tonne is over 2 grand a year in earnings if you’re on bulk work full time. My Premium/Fruehauf rig tares at about 14500kg and personally I still think that’s about half a tonne too heavy. That said I could get 150kg off that by putting alloys on the unit (the trailer already has them). The DAF thing is also a pitfall many seem to have fallen into. The 105.460 seems to be a good half a tonne heavier than the 95.480 which has caught a few people out.

Paul

Personaly, i dont know why anyone would choose a renault premium for anything!! :grimacing: :grimacing:

I, for one, do the job for two reasons, firstly because i love what i do, and if you cant enjoy what you drive, whats the point :unamused: :unamused:

Secondly, I am fortunate to have excellent work, so as long as i can get 29t in the box, then im happy :grimacing: :grimacing: