Tipping trailer hydraulic oil quantity

If I have a bulker with a 5 stage ram and it only goes up about halfway before running out of oil roughly how much do I need to add to the tank to make it go all the way up? Just need to know so I buy something like the right amount.

TIA,
Paul

how big is your tank ?

Denis F:
how big is your tank ?

No idea, it has an alloy combination derv and hydraulic oil tank but there’s nothing on it to say how big either part of the tank is.

Paul

Do you know who the maker of the tipping gear is
if so ask them direct ,as they should be able to give you
a answer also a question is there no dipstick on the tank with
minimum and normal leveles marked on it

brit pete:
Do you know who the maker of the tipping gear is
if so ask them direct ,as they should be able to give you
a answer also a question is there no dipstick on the tank with
minimum and normal leveles marked on it

No idea who made it and there’s nothing on the tank at all to give you a clue as to levels.

There can’t be much difference between makes of rams though, I just need to know roughly how much oil the top 2.5 stages will take…

If all else fails I’ll just get a 25l drum, stick it in and if it still won’t go up to the top I’ll get another one and keep going until it’s enough…

Paul

what about lowering the ram all the way down, then fill the tank to just below the top of the filler neck to allow for expansion :wink:

it’s what i used to do on plant machinery with the same type of thing :smiley:

shuttlespanker:
what about lowering the ram all the way down, then fill the tank to just below the top of the filler neck to allow for expansion :wink:

Well, I don’t know how much that will take so even doing that I don’t know how much I need to buy, but the main reason not to do that is that on bulk work payload is king so I don’t want to have any more in there than I actually need.

Paul

repton:

shuttlespanker:

Well, I don’t know how much that will take so even doing that I don’t know how much I need to buy, but the main reason not to do that is that on bulk work payload is king so I don’t want to have any more in there than I actually need.

Paul

Before you fill the tank the hoist needs to be closed with the body on the stops, the tank needs enough oil to fill the pump, pipework and ram with a small reserve for leaks and temperature fluctuations.

If you lift the hoist and then fill the tank, you may have oil spraying out everywhere and you may burst the tank, pipe or spray Lindsays clean washing with hot hydraulic oil when you lower the body. :wink:

fplreflib.findlay.co.uk/articles … e_poor.pdf

lustyems.com.au/documents/CS … Manual.pdf

It’ll need to be almost full Paul.
Used to reckon about 35 gallons. I thinks the Renault split tanks are a bit bigger than that from memory.
I would put 5l in see how much farther it goes up, keep doing that till it will go to the top, then add another 5 litres. When you’re finished I would bleed the ram (1/2 " allan key bleed stud on the top of the ram)

dip your tank when body is down and see how far it is off the top you should be able to work out how much will go in

if you ever end up on sticky horrible stuff you will need every inch of that ram so dont skimp

Isn’t there a sight glass on the tank?

Zetorpilot:
Isn’t there a sight glass on the tank?

Not on the ali ‘split’ tanks. There normally is on the standard steel tipping tanks.

Thanks for all the replies, I think the way forwards will be to buy a 25litre drum and put it in a bit at a time and see what happens…

I assume I just need “hydraulic oil” for it, or is there more than one type of hydraulic oil?

Didn’t know about the bleed screw on the ram, thanks for that one renaultman. I think it must have some air in as it’s a bit jerky as you lower it down.

Paul

yes just normal hydraulic oil

try a few different tractor dealers around you prices are all over at the moment
robson tractors were the cheapest for engine and transmission oil this week £70 per 40 gallon drum cheaper than our usual supplier
i think they have a depot out your way

As Jonnieboy says
Just normal Hydraulic oil
I’ve always used T27, my local motor factors were always the cheapest

renaultman:
As Jonnieboy says
Just normal Hydraulic oil
I’ve always used T27, my local motor factors were always the cheapest

Whatever you buy, it will certainly be cheaper than Pirtek bringing you some oil when you are stuck on site and the body will not raise high enough to tip.

It need to be nearly full, roughly 2-3 inches from the top with the tipper body down and everything in driving position.

If you run to often out of hydraulic, it will cost you a pomp and if your unlucky valves etc., when ram is in top position you still need to have approx a gallon in the tank to cool and lubricate the pump.

Luckily is hydraulic oil not very heavy (approx 0.8kgs per liter), buy a decent oil with corrosion inhibbetors and anti wear additives to save your ram and pump.

To bleed the ramp, lift the body up approx half a meter, and open than carefull open the bleedscrew on top of the ram, preferbally bleed when body is empty, so you have less pressure.
Wear decent gloves, and safety glasses as hydraulic fluid is not very healthy when you get it under your skin or in your eye.

Keep the area around the tank clean and replace filter at least once a year.

The mathematical answer or you can just keep topping it up till it is almost full :stuck_out_tongue:

Rectangular Tank volume = height x width x length, or V = H x W x L

Now Caledoniandream has given you the specific gravity of 0.8 - 0.85 you can buy just sufficient oil if you measure from the top of the liquid.

If the tank is cylindrical then you are looking at Pi x diameter/2 x length

Google is your friend :wink:

From my time at Romac and my observations there, I would say that the size of the hydraulic oil tank was dictated by the requirements of the ram, with the body lowered the fluid was always a couple of inches below the filler neck and so as Wheel Nut suggested, the best bet would simply be to fill the tank to that level.

Well I’ve bought a 25l drum today, heading over to the wagon tomorrow to put it in and see what happens. I’ll keep you all posted.

Paul