Tipping into a tarmac spreader

Hi guys

could someone please explain to me the procedure for tipping a load of tar into a spreader?

i’ve never done this before & i start a new job tomorrow. dont want to look like an idiot.

also, how much sand should i spread in the back to stop it sticking??

many thanks in advance.

I’ve moved your topic here, because it’s more likely that you’ll get answers to your question in this forum. dd. :wink:

a light dustin will be enuf.when on the paver its all about little and often,genrally someone at the back will shout when to tip a little more.if you tip too much you"ll block the hopper then someone will have to dig it out.dont roll away from the paver[esp when pavin down hill]as you will dump it in the road in front of the paver and someone will have to shovel the lot back into the hopper.it aint rocket science you"ll soon pick it up

Keep one eye on your O/S mirror don,t let the truck become separated from the machine or you will learn some new swear words. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Keep it out of gear and your foot on the brake “slightly” after tipped in the spreader.
Keep steering straight ahead and just let the spreader itself push you along as its own pace.
Watch in the RH mirror for the spreader drivers hand coming out to tell you to tip it up more.
Tell the spreader team your new at the job and somebody will keep you right for the first few loads. :wink:

dont hit it is good :laughing: also careful with the sand bit ,if on wearing course as it may get rejected if it has too much in it
yeomans at theale use water in the body

Roundabouts can be fun as well!! :laughing: If the paver gets bogged down (and they often do on loose stone) the gang might ask you to either tow it out or reverse rapidly into it to try and jar it free, tell them to s*d off as I saw a chap rip his rear axle out doing that a few years ago. Gang’s used to get the hopper full to the brim, wind a great load out either side of the bed, and then wonder why it sat there with it’s wheels spinning going nowhere except downwards, just enough to keep the material flowing is fine. Oh the memories, seems an age ago now. :blush:

Pete.

Remember to hitch up your mudflaps with the chain and catch thing or they will break off. I see some folks squirting diesel onto the base of the tipper box.At the quarry. YOU must wear full PPE even at the toilet!!!They dont want you out of the cab at all really.The quarry people are very very powerful and are well aware of this fact,they issue 2 day and 3 day barrings think red or yellow cards so mind your Ps and Qs.The paver machine has rollers at the front that contact your rear wheels to slowly push you along.As has been said not rocket science so watch look and listen I rate it as one of the better jobs.

the bloke on the paver normally tells u what he wants u to do easy really once u have had a go at it :smiley: as someone said they will soon start shouting at u if your not doing it correctly :open_mouth: