Tipper work

Hello all, been offered a trial for a tipper firm. I’ve no experience in tippers but he said he’s willing to give me a go. Seemed a really decent bloke, honest and upfront.

Any advice really on what to expect and what to avoid? Any thoughts on tipper firms around Huddersfield/Halifax way?

I dont know what driving experience you have but from driving rigid tippers at 32 tonne its totally different than than a loaded curtainsider take your first few turns ALOT slower than normal. if your going a bit fast you will start to feel the load pull you out of the corner and its not funny then .
If your loading out of a quarry the weigh bridges can be very tight and so can wheel washes .

A good habit to get into is turning on your beacons when going on to a site no matter what , just after tipping your load drive forward 1 or so meters then jam on your breaks then you’ll hear a bang then lower the tipper to be sure no stones get stuck in the back door (BUT look for over head lines first )if its on air and you go back to load the door wont be closed .

OH and sites are not like normal roads theres people ,machines and the likes flying everywhere no one gives way and no one looks where there going . :smiley:

Get yourself some rigger boots, or wellies. as when it rains heavy you can find yourself paddling through four inches of mud. If going offroad, do bear in mind the weight of the truck will allow it to get stuck very quickly, so use common sense as to where you venture. If on building sites look out for uncovered manholes, metal spikes sticking out the ground, house bricks getting wedged between your wheels etc.

It real easy work, but you’ll be expected to drive (how can I put it diplomatically - at a sprightly pace) to get the loads in.

Just take it easy till you get used to the characteristics of the vehicle.

Watch out for overhead cables when tipping, also don’t tip if the vehicle is on uneven ground.

Check the tipper body is clean from time to time. Brickies don’t like bits of stone in their sand. Expect plenty of h and s nonsense if hauling out of Hansons etc.
Check what material you’re being loaded with if on a muckshift as different materials cost different amounts. Clean broken concrete is mainly a free tip, as is usually decent topsoil.
Be aware when someone on site says “this load’s good topsoil.” They’re after a free tip, don’t trust them; If you wouldn’t like it on your garden check with the office.

We could help more if you were more specific about the type of work that you will be doing.There have been tipper threads on here in the past.