Tipper Work

Hi Everyone,

Can anyone tell me what Class C Tipper work is like to do.
What are the Hours, Pay etc is it good work to do ?
The reason I ask is I see a hell of a lot of Tipper trucks in East Kent and being an experienced class c driver I’m getting fed up with Multidrop or travelling to Maidstone, Aylesford etc to get work.
All views welcome please and I presume I would need some training.

Cheers

Depends entirely on who you work for. You could ask the same question on the Prof Drivers Forum as there are a few tipper drivers on there, a couple from your area in question.
If you work for plant hire/recycling companies you’ll be mostly driving 8wheelers with steel bodies on muckshifting work. Many small operators will run as franchisees for the large quarry firms like Hansons, sticking to aggregates and asphalt haulage.
Then you might work for a firm with bulk bodies (the really tall tippers that carry grain, coal, aggregates etc) and these can involve normally more nights away than muckshifting companies (although there are an increasing number of sleeper cabbed muckaway trucks around). A good way to see what sort of work an operator does is the type of tipper on the back. Very low ones (often with Thompson, Boweld or Predator maker plates on them) are muck shifters- made of heavy duty steel to withstand sticky crap and demolition rubble.

Some people will tell you tipper work is easy. In terms of no roping and sheeting or strapping down the load that is true. However tipper work takes more driving skills at times than other driving. I work out of a quarry and carry either dry ie stone, chippings, dust etc or tarmac. In terms of the dry that is loaded by the loader but some of the places you deliver to ie building sites etc are normally very tight and take a great deal of care and thought when getting there and tipping the load. The tarmac drops out of a hopper and its down to you to position the truck and load it correct yourself. Then you need to get it to site and l can assure you that some of the places we go are very tight and very narrow ie 7.5 ton weight limit road or smaller. We are exempt because of road maintenance but still need to go where normally no trucks are allowed. Then you need to reverse onto a paiver and stay on whilst being pushed. In short it’s not as easy as some people would have you believe. In terms of pay that depends who you work for some pay a percentage of the lorry, some pay hourly and some salary. It may not be multi drop but there Are still deadlines to meet especially when carrying tarmac. Take too long and the tarmac is no longer any use and will be rejected.

a tipper company i know in West Midlands… working under domestic rules pay £120 a day [ self employed
6 am untill 4pm
thats probably more than average pay around here

MuddaTruckka:
a tipper company i know in West Midlands… working under domestic rules pay £120 a day [ self employed
6 am untill 4pm
thats probably more than average pay around here

I was on this working for an apparently well known company operating fridges in the west midlands. I was there to be sent out to another (larger) company on contract to deliver ambient goods.

The agency have me on 7.5t work at 7.5 pay tomorrow :cry: :frowning: :imp:

I was even planning on getting a new car and everything.

i was on tippers for over 20 years,class 1 and 2,working out of the quarries.some firms pay a low basic wage,plus a percentage of the lorry’s earnings,so you can have good weeks,and bad weeks,depending on the work,and in some cases the weather.work is pretty easy,but expect a fair bit of waiting time,if you are on tarmac.i’d go for it mate,i enjoyed (most of) my time in the bowl :slight_smile:

p.s. if you do work out of a quarry,don’t fall out with the shovel driver!

Thanks for your replies and comments everyone.
It is food for thought as there seems to be 100s of Tipper Trucks around near me.
Plus it looks like more sociable hours compared to what I’ve been doing.

carryfast-yeti:

I’ve worked briefly at aggregate depots and we hardly ever met the shovel drivers, except in the tea room. The person you’ll meet most often is the weighbridge operator. At the company I worked for near Staines they were mostly nice ladies, but your experience may vary.

IndigoJo:

carryfast-yeti:

I’ve worked briefly at aggregate depots and we hardly ever met the shovel drivers, except in the tea room. The person you’ll meet most often is the weighbridge operator. At the company I worked for near Staines they were mostly nice ladies, but your experience may vary.

i worked in mountsorrel quarry @18 years,and got on fine with all the shovel drivers…but if anyone peed off big steve,you were likely to get an ‘extra’ half a ton over your legal weight :laughing:

IndigoJo:

carryfast-yeti:

Geoff at Hansons’ Kidlington. If ever there was a reason for abortion post birth, then it’s him. Lazy, ignorant, rude to drivers/customers but be rude back and find yourself banned.
Glad we get type 1 delivered into our yard on artics from Hansons now. After being messed about for upto an hour per load, it works out cheaper. And I’ve avoided an assault conviction. :grimacing:

You can’t do much worse on a tipper than class 2 multi drop, financially speaking I wouldn’t have thought in most cases.

Tippers are good fun, typically monday-friday, half day saturday home every night/sociable hours, you get to know the people and the fiddles on your patch. But they have their pitfalls as well, plenty of site work means plenty of wear and tear, VOSA know this, and will pull you accordingly, you will be changing tyres on the side of busy roads when you roll over some crushed concrete with rebar sticking out of it, people will flag you down saying a brick ‘fell off’ you and damaged their car etc etc.

You’ll work for your money, but its a laugh

Great way to avoid the “stone fell off your lorry” claims is not to have your company name on the tailgate. Either that or just put the phone down on any chancers.