Tipper Work for Beginners

Hi All,

I’ve just started my Class 2 career, currently working out of one of the big wholesalers breaking my back on multi drop work. There is an opportunity coming up my way for tipper work with training given to beginners. The money seems ok and I could do with as much experience around the industry I could get.

Are there any pitfalls to this kind of work for newbies? At the moment anything would be better than squeezing trucks of ever increasing length down streets that aren’t getting any wider and then having to handball a few tonnes of goods a day for good measure!

Cheers

The main pitfall is the tendency for the boss have you push like crazy to get the loads in. Ends up like wacky races.

Dont forget to drop the body aswell.! Haha! Im a new driver too mate looking for tipper work.

Stuff multidrop its bad enough in a van! Lol

Tipper work is good if you have a good boss and you don’t mind cracking on… I’m going back to tippers next week and coming off the walking floors!

They need X amount of loads to cover overheads etc so if you don’t want that type of work I’d give it a wide birth!

Overall though it’s stupidly easy, better than fighting with a curtainsider in the wind anyday :wink:

Some tipper drivers are ■■■■ though and insist on driving round in convoy with their cb’s in their hands with the beacons on causing carnage!

Expect to be thought of as the lowest common denominator by your fellow peers.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I know its hard BUT don’t rush around!!! .just because everyone does doesn’t mean a thing …are they going to look after your family if you kill someone…it aint the 80s anymore everyone and the dog has a phone to film ya .
a hint for ya always check the tailgate is locked after tipping and clean the stones etc afe the back ,look up as power cables can and will jump and make a bad day even worse. ower all its a good job on tippers forget the billy big riggers and the swampdonkeys on piece work there are good jobs out here and always remember YOUR REPUTATION WILL FOLLOW YOU WHEREVER YOU GO …GOOD OR BAD. jimmy.

pitfalls on tippers? :open_mouth: none that i can think of :wink:

apart from lorry falling over whilst tipping :frowning: done it got the t-shirt,ans seen many others go over in my 25 years on tippers
forgetting to drop the body…seen it several times
working for a percentage of lorry earnings…so having to drive like a bat out of hell
dealing with some obnoxious tossers on sites
shovel drivers over-loading you on purpose…didn’t happen to me though :slight_smile:

apart from that…all good :smiley:

i mostly loved being on tippers though,a good crack with loads of good people.

8 wheel tipper work is sound, money’s usually better than it would be on a rigid curtain and hours are probably shorter.

My first job was on tippers and we got 22% on an 8 wheeler and 20% on artic, 10 or 11 hours a day made me a decent wage and I was home every night. They used to add up all the waiting time and pay all the blocks of 30 minutes or more too, not sure if percentage is legal now though…

Just some knowledge for the future, scrap / batteries rates tend to be the best of all, glass is usually good too.

PS. If you rush round like an idiot the shovel driver / loaders will purposely slow you down just to annoy you, be rate with them and let them do their job in their own time and you’ll save more time that way than rushing around.