Tipper operator (help)

Tipper driver needing some advice please.I have been given the chance to start up my self as a franchisee,fuel ,truck tax & insurance on account, but can’t sort my own O licence as I have no CPC or 7k in the bank. No deposit required for the truck & will get payed every month so money will start rolling in farly soon. So my question can I operate on some one elses licence as this is a cheeper option.One of the other guy said I could use his as he has a spare slot, for a small price. I have done some reserch on the web & can’t find any reason why not ■■ Any advice would be great. Thanks. :slight_smile:

You will still need your own operators licence but there is nothing to stop you employing a CPC holder if you don’t hold your own. As far as I’m aware “using” an empty slot on somebody else’s licence is not quite so legit. I’m guessing you’d be franchised to one off the big outfits and I would guess that they would require the operators licence in the name of the business they were dealing with.

I would seriously suggest you do a stack of research before committing even one penny to this kind of deal. The building industry is currently on its arse and you won’t have to spend long on the net to find tales of woe from franchised hauliers across the country who are desperate to release themselves from the kind of deal you are considering.

Cheers
Neilf

Hi, I can not see why using some ones spare slot would make any differnce as long as they are ok with it, I have found know legal reason not to do this . ■■? :question:

Tipper junkie:
Hi, I can not see why using some ones spare slot would make any differnce as long as they are ok with it, I have found know legal reason not to do this . ■■? :question:

:laughing: You’ve got to be on a wind-up.

You can use space in someone’s operating centre. But using another operators licence could land both operators in very deep water without a paddle. If you want to be an operator you need an O licence in your own company name and either a) you need your own TM CPC or b) you need to hire a TM CPC holder as part of the criteria to fulfil the O licence application.

7 grand is only the start. You would also need enough resources for a couple of months of fuel.

By the way, I’m not an operator. Just info I have gleaned from research.

Not a wind up , sorry. I can not find this written any where so is it leagle ■■ I do know other people that are doing this & have been for several years so I can only asume they have ticked all the boxes . Don’t want to do any thing wrong but it this ok then … :laughing:

Do you honestly think that operating a vehicle on somebody else’s licence sounds legal? Of course it’s been done and I imagine still happens. That’s fine until something goes wrong - an accident, argument over money, jealousy etc etc.

Frankly, I’d walk away if I were you.

Look at it objectively, what’s in it for you? Effectively, all you’re doing is saving the company who owns the franchise an awful lot of money and reponsibility. You’ll never get rich at it, as for being your own boss… You would be anything but.

You won’t get any insurance without your own operator licence, ring up and try and get a quote.nobody will touch you without one.

Can you tell me this then, how do others get away with it ■■ insurance ect…

Tipper junkie:
Can you tell me this then, how do others get away with it ■■ insurance ect…

Bloody hell man, mates/bribes/backhanders/hush-money/corruption/favours call it what you want.

You’re not cut out for business, to put it mildly.

Tell us the whole story , milage payment etc etc …and you will get answers from poor sods who have lost everything doing what you are thinking of.
IF there was a profit in it they would have there own trucks and drivers…DONT DO IT !
Especially running a dodgy method of O licence.

Just trying to bottom out the O license thing before I decide what to do. All you peps say it’s wrong but I have not seen any hard evidence to corroborate this . ■■ Back it up chaps. :imp:

Tipper junkie:
Just trying to bottom out the O license thing before I decide what to do. All you peps say it’s wrong but I have not seen any hard evidence to corroborate this . ■■ Back it up chaps. :imp:

If you are having trouble believe the information you are being given by forum members, try ringing VOSA for there take on things, just get ready for a lot of told you so’s from previous posters on the subject :open_mouth:

Ring your local Traffic Commissioner (can you name him or her?) and tell them your plan. Go the whole hog and tell them the names and addresses of the people involved, I’m sure they’d be quite interested and will provide you with all the “back up” you’re likely to need.

Tipper junkie:

Ring Towergate insurance and ask them for a quotation for the vehicle your wanting to buy, or are you going the hole hog and not planning on having any insurance along with no O licence?

Shoshaye:

Tipper junkie:

Ring Towergate insurance and ask them for a quotation for the vehicle your wanting to buy, or are you going the hole hog and not planning on having any insurance along with no O licence?

sorry just re read your op, so they’re are going to provide fuel, insurance etc. Just how much are you going to be left with each month?

Shoshaye:

Shoshaye:

Tipper junkie:

sorry just re read your op, so they’re are going to provide fuel, insurance etc. Just how much are you going to be left with each month?

After truck depreciation and maintenance costs, and paying someone About £150 per month to be your companies O licence holder what do you expect to earn out of it, as I bet they even load the diesel price .
If you dont want to discuss it on here, pm me the whole details And i will give you an opinion from a retired OD. It will worry you with the realities I bet.

Yep that was good thanks , phoned towergate & ratclifs about insurance, guess what !! they never even asked about O licence. Been talking to some other about it & 1 of them offered a place on his to as long as I paid the cost of putting it on there. Both said that they where not aware of this & they have multiple truck. So some one is barking up the wrong tree.Seems this is a grey area for some people. Had a look on VOSA & there is not any thing on there to say other wise. :question: :question: :wink:

THERE IS NO GREY AREA!
some o/ds might be on another hauliers o licence, it will be only a matter of time before they get found out!
O licence rules are quite simple and the fact is if you are unable to follow these rules you stand little chance of being round for long never mind making it pay as an o/d
How about letting us know who this muppet is that will let you put a truck on his licence?

After re-reading this post I think this must be another auto ■■■■■■■■ post just to get a response and keep the page views up!

Tipper junkie:
Yep that was good thanks , phoned towergate & ratclifs about insurance, guess what !! they never even asked about O licence. Been talking to some other about it & 1 of them offered a place on his to as long as I paid the cost of putting it on there. Both said that they where not aware of this & they have multiple truck. So some one is barking up the wrong tree.Seems this is a grey area for some people. Had a look on VOSA & there is not any thing on there to say other wise. :question: :question: :wink:

So when you run bent or get nicked for something serious your mate is willing to stand in the dock and take the punishment and possibly lose his business ?
With the type of cavalier attitude you are showing to the rules you should not entertain becoming an OD , it will end in tears for all concerned in my opinion.