Tipper interview advice

hi guys,

I have an interview today for tipper work, I haven’t driven an hgv for 9 years, any advice or pointers would be gratefully received, i.e- how to behave onsite, what to do when actually tipping, what to do in respect of cleaning wagon for next job, where to put excess product after tipping,

thank you

Ian !!

My advice is to buy a face mask, or dust filter, to prevent breathing in the very fine particles that are airborne when tipping.
Dust and particles from some products may harm your lungs,eyes and throat.
If on farm bulk work, there is soya, oil seed ■■■■, wheat and barley.
Adr loads, such as fertiliser.
A big brush is needed to clean out the trailer.
Delivery times will be tightly scheduled, leaving not much option but to break speed limits.
At the docks and mills, there may long queues for the weighbridge and to get loaded.
Never fly tip your load or waste on a public road,big fines for this.
Farms will be down narrow lanes, and not much room to manoeuvre on the farm, some cab cleaning kit is ideal, polish and a small brush.
Park anywhere for free, not theft attractive for a load of maize or stone chippings.
No low bridges to worry about.
A tv for nights out is a must have item.

What sort of tipper work, aggregates, asphalt, muck?
Generally, watch for overhead obstructions like cables and trees. Bigger sites will have candy cane goalposts to warn of cables-do not tip between them.
Beware of backfilled trenches. Even if they’re stoned up, they can still sink, cracking sewers etc underneath.
Walk into a new site first.
Check out for metal pins sticking up (reinforcing rods, surveying tools etc)
If you need all diff and cross locks to get into a site, you’ll probably need towing out. :wink:
Check back wheels for rocks and mud.
Even if your tailgate is automatic and it’s shut, check it is as certain materials will jam it part open.
Make sure you have a shovel, especially if backloading as many quarries will bill hauliers for contaminated loads, but be wary where you are allowed to climb into the tipper. Certainly never do it anywhere near the loading point.

thank you very much for all your advice, I think I’m tipping muck/aggregate, not sure as haven’t work in this line before,

Just wondering chaps, when I’m sweeping out the back of the wagon, any advice on where to dispose of the remnants from the previous load,

once again many thanks guys !!

silvasurfa67:
thank you very much for all your advice, I think I’m tipping muck/aggregate, not sure as haven’t work in this line before,

Just wondering chaps, when I’m sweeping out the back of the wagon, any advice on where to dispose of the remnants from the previous load,

once again many thanks guys !!

Would of thought you would be on the site where you have just tipped, and they would point you in the right direction for sweeping out the back.

How did the interview go?

Interview went well, the guy interviewing me was a nice guy and we seemed to get on ok, gonna let me know soon, fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Fingers crossed for you.

If you’ve got a bit stuck in, check what you’re doing next. If you’re on rubble, that will scrape the floor out and put a nice shine on it, saving you the trouble of shovelling.
Check with site and office regarding what box to tick on waste tickets. Clean broken concrete will normally get you a free tip, a mixture of brick rubble a couple of quid per ton or say £35/load whereas muck can be around £90/load on an 8wheeler.

Get some bits of paper or card and keep a marker pen in the cab handy. When in a quarry write what you want on the card and put it in your window for the shovel driver to see. You can get in trouble in some quarries for walking around.