Tipper experience

Why do firms insist on experience for tippers? I’ve never driven one but I worked in a quarry for a bit and it didn’t look to be rocket science, surely 10-15mins being shown how to work it would be fine?

But, as I said, I’ve never driven one so; why the need for experience?

its so you dont drop it on its side thats why

Or electrocute yourself :open_mouth:

Right, don’t take this the wrong way but wouldn’t that be something that could be learnt quite quick too; i.e most people have the sense not to tip it when parked at an angle and to watch out for the load kinda sticking- and overhead hazards. you’ve gotta start somewhere though, same as anything else. So, how would you get a start on them?

No offence intended, I’m just asking the question as I’m curious.

Comparing the various things that could go wrong with different LGV jobs then tipping is one of those that probably has many more than most especially when setting up and tipping the load

We could do a list of things for each type of LGV job but in the majority of cases it takes a few minutes good instruction to make sure a newbie is ok

I heard that a lot of tipper firms will run 2 trucks to the same delivery at the same time if a newbie is in one of them so that the experience tipper driver can oversee the tipping as it don’t take much for things to go [ZB] up

I’m sure anyone who has done tipping on here can list those many things but not me as I’ve never done it - I’ve only heard some horror stories from those that have done it

darkseeker:
Why do firms insist on experience for tippers? I’ve never driven one but I worked in a quarry for a bit and it didn’t look to be rocket science, surely 10-15mins being shown how to work it would be fine?

But, as I said, I’ve never driven one so; why the need for experience?

I have got photo somewhere of why you need tipper experience, I will put it on when I find it. I had about 35 years on tippers and it’s a dodgy old job, things still go ■■■■ up at times however long you have been on the job. It’s a catch 22 situation you can’t get experience without doing the job, and you can’t get the job without the experience, if you can get a job on tippers without being asked about how much you know about it I would, I would stay away from that firm, there cowboys and will push you into trouble. Good luck with it.

darkseeker:
Right, don’t take this the wrong way but wouldn’t that be something that could be learnt quite quick too; i.e most people have the sense not to tip it when parked at an angle and to watch out for the load kinda sticking- and overhead hazards. you’ve gotta start somewhere though, same as anything else. So, how would you get a start on them?

No offence intended, I’m just asking the question as I’m curious.

it seems soo easy but generally its not very hard to put it on its side.

ive done tippers a few times, always had a more experienced guy with me though, most of my tipping work was with hooklifts on landfill sites, still some scary moments up there on soft land plus the centre of gravity was really high with them.

That’s the point though, surely it’s not difficult to train someone up to a certain degree and keep them on the simpler jobs for as long as needs be.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not ranting and raveing about not being able to get on them - I’m not bothered really, I’m after a nice cushy rdc job :laughing:

Here’s what set me wondering though;

The quarry I worked in has tippers clearing two school demolitions both less than half a mile from my house, they’re flat out and an agency asked me if I had any tipper experience this morning (turns out it’s almost certainly this job), unfortunately I haven’t.

The quarry is nice hard ground and I know how they run things there, in effect it looks like it’d be a nice simple job that shouldn’t be a problem with a bit of informal training but I’ve no chance because I’ve no experience. Shame really.

If this is for a firm at W-st hughs, the TM is clueless and acts like a schoolkid

Lycanthrope:
If this is for a firm at W-st hughs, the TM is clueless and acts like a schoolkid

:laughing: isn’t that in the job description for t.m’s?

Nah, he’s a bit closer to home than that mate - not short of a few quid :wink:

I went for a tipper job yesterday. The bloke asked if I could start Monday knowing I had no tipper exp he said i’d go out with another driver for the day then i’d be on my own. but alas it’s not for me it sounds like boring work ( on class 2). :unamused:

So it is possible.

when tipping,make sure.
your on level ground.
check for power lines & fone cables.
take sheet off (with some materials) so it doesn’t build a vacuum up & ■■■■ your sheet in.
remeber to put PTO in gear & don’t forget to take it out (on older motors) or you could bugger the gearbox up.
don’t reverse too close to objects behind you else the back door will catch & get damaged.
& finally don’t forget to open the back door :wink:
i’m sure theirs a few things ive forgotten(as ive only been doin tipper work 32 years)

andy.

:smiley: Thanks Andy but I’ve got no work for tippers and none in the forseeable.

Reading through what I’ve said I can see it’s come across as arrogant, I didn’t mean it like that - it just seems a bit daft, unless there’s plenty if experienced tipper drivers to go around.

164480:
i’m sure theirs a few things ive forgotten(as ive only been doin tipper work 32 years)

you did mate - you forgott to mention…

…while your tipping your load have a walk round the truck and check

1. the Quantum Slipstream, 24 coil low distortion Variable Geometry Transwarp system for any cracks/damage.
  2. the matter-antimatter transkinetic reactor mix chamber for any blockages.
  3. the fluid level in Negative Polarity Hydrogen-based Ionised Liquid Plasma Coolant system.
  4. the Tricylclic Input Manifolds for dead flies.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

you need to learn how to effectively block a whole yard when tipping or being loaded, and drive the thing like a go-cart…

EBGBz:
you need to learn how to effectively block a whole yard when tipping or being loaded, and drive the thing like a go-cart…

No that just comes on it’s own given time. :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

artics tend to go over easy than a 8 legger but u can soon get one off those over the green and silver tippers big firm give you two weeks training and you dont need previous exp. Things that could go wrong are endless its what action you take to stop it that counts. The one exp i have is tipping a load off sand on a building site early one winter morning, two banks men watching in a concrete block floored bay, the sand had froze overnight i had fired it up just got to top when there was a very loud creaking and banging when i looked the nearside drive axles had sunk the blocks causing the body to twist nearly going over i dropped the body faster than anything. :blush: :blush: :blush:

I had ten minutes of training on bulk tippers in the yard, then I was off. I learned the rest on the job, and by talking to other drivers, but it really is very simple stuff.

Only tip on firm and level ground, don’t go near electrical lines (not just touching them, the power can arc 6 metres), watch the bucket all the way up, abort it if it starts to lean, watch out particularly for wet or claggy loads, especially in sub-zero temperatures. Prepare to be a social pariah in the trucking world. :wink:

If it goes up 2 segments of the ram without a serious lean it should be o.k, rigids are quite difficult to have over but bulkers will topple even on level ground (anyone remember pre-coated chippings) the work I enjoyed, being paid 20% of the load and driving like a bank robber I did’nt.

You also need to wear the correct uniform 1.rigger boots 2.vest 3.mirror shades 4.ripped jeans 5.very short haircut. Equipment you will need 1. lump hammer and chisel 2. 4 foot length of scaffold tube 3. crow bar. Things you won’t need 1. copy of the highway code 2. brakes on the trailer 3. cheery disposition.

mike68:
You also need to wear the correct uniform 1.rigger boots 2.vest 3.mirror shades 4.ripped jeans 5.very short haircut. Equipment you will need 1. lump hammer and chisel 2. 4 foot length of scaffold tube 3. crow bar. Things you won’t need 1. copy of the highway code 2. brakes on the trailer 3. cheery disposition.

Absolutely. When even truck drivers look down at you, you know you’ve hit rock bottom :wink: