Tipper Driving

I picked up a guy in my cab last night who is a class 1 driver, so naturally we got talking about me wanting a job!

He said there are 6 tippers sitting doing nothing in their yard so i’ve got a good chance of a look in. He’s given me his name, his gaffers name, and a phone number to reach him on. I’m going to call him tomorrow, but i’m unsure about how to approach the subject of being a new driver.

The conversation will go something like this…“Hi, I have spoken to one of your drivers ‘xxxx’ who says you may have some class 2 work available” “ok, what experience do you have?” “erm…”

Do I just come clean and be completely honest (I’ve had my cat C since Sept but not managed to do any work yet!) or do I (dare I say it) make up a few days that I’ve done through agencies?

Really don’t want to mess this possible chance up :exclamation:

could be they have no work for those tippers - that sort of thing has been mentioned on here before - ask company if they are looking for drivers first then go forward from there

The thought has crossed my mind, but it’s got to be worth a call!

Robster_1981:
The thought has crossed my mind, but it’s got to be worth a call!

no harm in following up a lead :smiley: :smiley:

tipper driving is easy peasy,

all you realy got to worry about is the back door being close, the sheet over the load and that the box is down and the pto is off.

as for tipping well just pay attention.

phone them up and ask if they have work etc then say you spoke to one of his drivers earlier, i started tipping with hooklifts but its basically the same thing, except i have to get out and open the back door and i can remove the box easily.

Just make sure its not in Italy! :smiley:

The most important thing about tipper driving: make sure you’re on firm level ground before you tip. The last thing you want to do is put the whole thing on its side.

However, saying that, I would suspect the most likely reason that chap has loads of tippers parked up us that there is no work for them. There’s no lack of drivers about so if they wanted them on the road I’m sure they would be on the road.

Paul

bugcos:

Ha, ha! And if it is Italy - make sure “Patrick” gives you his surname! (and take a bullet proof vest!)

:unamused:

ANDY1961:

bugcos:

Ha, ha! And if it is Italy - make sure “Patrick” gives you his surname! (and take a bullet proof vest!)

:unamused:

and a spare battery

lol.

And a fire extinguisher lol

bsically if his names patrick avoid at all costs.

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ClSy-bm5w

nice video that gogzy

makes me think of the times I was tipping with the rollon/off but with scrap fridges in them, used to get a fright when youd open the back doors and one would come bounding out at ya

haha yea ive had many of them open and stuff falls straight out, used to be paper lol.

though later on the day i made that video i opened a brick one and got a facefull of dust, i should have videoed tipping that one lol.everyone stayed away from me witht hat one cause it was blowing a gale