Tipper Bodies

A brand new Kelberg bodied 8w Daf went past just now and to be fair they’d probably be alright for our line of work. Clearly lighter than a Thompson and not suitable for a demolition firm, but for us doing a mixture of work they’d probably do.

andrew.s:
now my boss has made a few more enquiries to different suppliers, we have a few more options-
mv commercials are trying very hard to flog us a daf with a 400 engine-much better than a 440 according to their salesman.much better on fuel blah blah-i’d prefer a 440 obviously.and they are really plugging a “Greismann” body.i don’t know much about them but they are going to supply us with a Volvo fmx as a demo with one fitted.
I still feel a 440 daf with Thompson loadmaster is going to be hard to beat.thats my preffered choice at the moment.
it is nice to be able to have some input though :sunglasses:

Ask him exactly what engine it is MX11 or MX13? as Im sure the MX11 is available with up to 440bhp so he could be talking out of his arse.

Daf were pushing the MX11 for emissions as it could work in its happy band all the time and keep the exhaust nice and hot whereas the MX13 will just lollop along at low revs with no effort but exhaust cant be kept hot enough to keep it clean.

Trickydick:

andrew.s:
now my boss has made a few more enquiries to different suppliers, we have a few more options-
mv commercials are trying very hard to flog us a daf with a 400 engine-much better than a 440 according to their salesman.much better on fuel blah blah-i’d prefer a 440 obviously.and they are really plugging a “Greismann” body.i don’t know much about them but they are going to supply us with a Volvo fmx as a demo with one fitted.
I still feel a 440 daf with Thompson loadmaster is going to be hard to beat.thats my preffered choice at the moment.
it is nice to be able to have some input though :sunglasses:

Ask him exactly what engine it is MX11 or MX13? as Im sure the MX11 is available with up to 440bhp so he could be talking out of his arse.

Daf were pushing the MX11 for emissions as it could work in its happy band all the time and keep the exhaust nice and hot whereas the MX13 will just lollop along at low revs with no effort but exhaust cant be kept hot enough to keep it clean.

Yes it is mx11 engine.i’m sure I can convince the boss to go for the 440(he knows nothing about lorries,that’s why he’s letting me have an input into what we buy)I reckon the 440 will be slightly better on diesel anyway.

As a favour if you give me your bOsses number I will advise him they also go as low as 310bhp on the MX11 :grimacing:

Trickydick:
As a favour if you give me your bOsses number I will advise him they also go as low as 310bhp on the MX11 :grimacing:

If you told him it was better on fuel at 32 tons he’d believe you!!!
We’ve had to hire a lorry for a few days as mine is in for mot ,and we’re still waiting for this demonstrator to turn up-ended up with a 10 plate daf with 360 engine-it is as sweet as a nut!! Lovely to drive and the crane is like new.its fitted with a kelberg body and tares at 16200 which I think is pretty good

Only problem with it is the Union Jack colour scheme ffs :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

andrew.s:

Trickydick:

If you told him it was better on fuel at 32 tons he’d believe you!!!
We’ve had to hire a lorry for a few days as mine is in for mot ,and we’re still waiting for this demonstrator to turn up-ended up with a 10 plate daf with 360 engine-it is as sweet as a nut!! Lovely to drive and the crane is like new.its fitted with a kelberg body and tares at 16200 which I think is pretty good

Only problem with it is the Union Jack colour scheme ffs :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

MX11 didnt come out until 2014 so the might have been a PR engine but dont know if they went that high on bhp as they are only 10 litre, PR was replaced by MX11.
PR is one eriously old school tough engine, million ks with zero engine work is quite normal, in face Ive never seen one with the heads off, unlike the MX12.9 :grimacing:
Our MX11 are only 310bhp running 32 ton artics and highest km is around the 400mark and no major engine work so far.

I’m sure the 360 engine is a 12.9 It likes to be revved though!!! And it’s a little bit gutless on long hills-could do with a splitter!!
I bet your 310 artics have a sixteen speed box though-daf only supply 8x4 chassis with 16 speed if hub reduction axles are used I think…

12 speed astronic medium duty in the 63 plate and older models, 12 speed astronic the big version on the 64 plate onwards.

If you look at the engine MX12.9 has a one piece black plastic rocker cover, the PR engine has two small alloy rocker covers, the MX11 also black plastic but only about 3 inches deep, the MX12.9 is a good 6 inches deep.

Used to see a lot of Daf tippers pre 2006 they had the XE engine (bigger version of the PR) good tough lump like the odd head gasket, then they went onto the MX12.9, I only ever saw one with hub reduction and HD rear susp it was one of them silo erection trucks, pretty rare beast different rear springs and enormous diffs/axles.

The fact it liked to be revved suggests to me its the PR engine.

I picked up the fmx demonstrator with the gleeson body today- tailboard assembly has hydraulic rams to open it and lift it right up in the air-extremely bad idea in my opinion,all those moving parts and the potential for damage.
whats wrong with a normal tailboard ffs??
on the plus side it looked good(apart from the tailboard assy) and was quite light-16100kgs.the fmx was fitted with the 13 litre engine ,but only had a 230 odd litre fuel tank I think.
it also sat very low-the curve of the body was almost as low as the chassis rails,and the sides were very low aswell which is handy for a grab. when it was fully loaded you could have easily lost another five ton in the back without it looking overloaded lol :sunglasses:
its a shame that the floor seemed very thin-when I was grabbing type 1 out of it the floor was flexing quite abit.

I don’t get why so many grab bodies are so deep. You want shallow ones so you can’t overload.
Which reminds me, how do weighers work on grab tippers? Obviously you can’t lift the body whilst loading.

You’ll forever be lifting and dropping the tailgate to get it shut properly. If you close it to fast it’ll bounce open and won’t catch on the hooks.

mucker85:
You’ll forever be lifting and dropping the tailgate to get it shut properly. If you close it to fast it’ll bounce open and won’t catch on the hooks.

Similar to a flat Thompson one then, they don’t always shut and miss the tailgate lip.
Best one is a Thompson/Charlton raked version they are certainly shut when down (although I’d still get out and check).

I really can’t see the point of any sort of auto tailboard on a grab as you have to get out to lift the crane obviously …then sweep the muck off the rear underun bar on a new one
That gleeson body really did have a low center of gravity though.
And a front end ram-never ever seen that on a grab before-still not as fast as Harsh twin ram underfloor on my daf though.that tips in about ten or 12 seconds!! :sunglasses:

Slight update on engine reliability, the euro6 MX11 motors are starting to fail quite expensively.
This has all happened very suddenly 64 plates all of them, first of all throttle issues, high pressure pump cam lobe breaking up contaminating fuel system with swarf, BPV failure is also getting silly.

Well bugger me ,we finally got our “new” motor lol
Ended up with a 65 plate daf cf with the 400 engine
Only done 27000 kms!!-drives like new .epsillon crane(obviously),Thompson body.poxy binnotto single ram tipping gear(very slow but I can live with it lol)
Feels a little bit underpowered,doesn’t like to rev hard ,but I’ve never driven a euro 6 daf before,perhaps I just need to get used to it!! And the driver tips and “nicely anticipated” thing that comes up on the dash can eff right off !!
It is very quiet indeed-not sure if I like that or not …
Plus points -mx engine brake(superb!!! A must have option on a daf in my opinion.as good as a volvo engine brake.
Air con ,electric mirrors ,and it’s a manual!!
It drives lovely,feels much more spacious inside than my old 11 plate cf for some reason.radio works as it should-old one was crap .first impressions are that it’s a definate step up from the old model ,despite not pulling quite as well.
And it’s at least 250 kilos lighter than my old one.

This is my old lorry in the tip we normally use-(this was after some dreadful rain in August !!!). Managed to not get stuck-just.
The new one has to be as good as this off road or winter will be a bloody misery for me!!