Tipper Bodies

That’s just it time moves on, Scania apart from the cab interior and a few other bits and bobs are basically the same underneath as they we’re donkeys years ago
I still think the reasons they are so popular is the competitions not up to much!

kr79:

Punchy Dan:

kr79:
What you need on a tipper proven simple layout

IT was called Foden.

Much of my earlier tipper years were on them and I owned one.
Good on there Day but time moves on

Still a few about some 02 & 04 regs doing a days work, do you remember the little fella was around for years drove for a mob (the Sullivans?) out of Norman Rd SE10 always in a Foden?

Talking of Renaults, Splitshift, I’ve seen some with payloads of 20.5t, and not Landers but the new Range whatever they call it. The same operator also runs Iveco Trakkers with the same bodies as the Renaults (alloy Wilcox Wilcolites) and they carry 21.
Another one which impressed me was a CF Construction with what I call an alloy muck body (Kelberg) which carried 20t. These weights aren’t dealer or driver talk but what the weight plates on the body says.
For the work I do I’m hoping for either a Loadmaster Lite or a Charlton Superlite, with a raked auto’ tailgate, and no side scan nonsense. That’s what mirrors are for.

splitshift:

kr79:

Punchy Dan:

kr79:
What you need on a tipper proven simple layout

IT was called Foden.

Much of my earlier tipper years were on them and I owned one.
Good on there Day but time moves on

Still a few about some 02 & 04 regs doing a days work, do you remember the little fella was around for years drove for a mob (the Sullivans?) out of Norman Rd SE10 always in a Foden?

Yeah billy he always looked like he would never reach the pedals.
Long retired now.
They run a mined bag now daf Renault and Volvo.
Yeah still a few fodens about but you can’t keep going forever with them.

Have you tried kelberg they are up your way normally have motors ready to go.
Sides can and cameras are here to stay though.
Cameras can help one of our elite Eastern European plant operators backed in to my lorry never said a thing and denied it.
All on the dash cam though

kr79:
Have you tried kelberg they are up your way normally have motors ready to go.
Sides can and cameras are here to stay though.
Cameras can help one of our elite Eastern European plant operators backed in to my lorry never said a thing and denied it.
All on the dash cam though

We did about 2 years ago but they were more expensive than HTC Daf. Problem (for me) is all the stock Dafs are manual 'boxed, and so are the MANs yet they come with auto as standard.

Bloke I know had a few MANs he reconed once the warranty was up he reconed every day the feeling of panic that one was going to break down again was like trying to defuse a bomb wearing boxing gloves

kr79:
Bloke I know had a few MANs he reconed once the warranty was up he reconed every day the feeling of panic that one was going to break down again was like trying to defuse a bomb wearing boxing gloves

The last ones Smiths had on 63 plates have been bad so I was told. Our TGM has been a good motor though.

Aparentley the egr ones were most problematic. The scr were a lot better but spare parts prices are meant to be very high.
Volvo seem to be suffering too I hear of a lot of problems on new ones and a few men round our way who have bought Volvo since the f7 days have gone elsewhere mainly Scania.
We have five euro 6 fm and fmx artics and 8 wheelers all but one has had an ad blue pimp and one has had loads of silly little faults

Ref the dafs we have a few 64 plate CF tractors with the MX11 engine and they have had lots of niggling issues and I mean lots, very clever high tech motor lots of low down grunt but lots of hight tech gizmos bolted to it, one being the BPV = back pressure valve (exhaust brake to you and me) which wears the shaft out and need replacing sadly it contains various sensors/injectors, then theres the electrically driven oil vapour catcher module that goes wrong and costs a fair few quid, some have had new nox sensors already, none are over 400k yet.
I remember when the MCX11 came out and they were changing engines due to camshaft issues.
If the rocker cover isnt removed in the first couple of years and the offside rear bolt not greased it will snap on next time the cover is removed, they run fine with the bolt missing, but if some twerp had applied a little grease when it was put together from new it wouldnt be an issue now.

We also have a lot of scania 65 plate tractors and whilst they have been fine so far mechanically the same cant be said for the electrics, various breakdowns apparently because the ecu needs updating, non stop ebs and lane departure warnings all requiring dealer attention, quite a few diff pinion seals as well, we have also noticed the offside track rod end is wearing fast as well and of course thats the one crimped to the track rod so needs whole new assy.
They are the last of the 4 series and are just the same underneath as they were when they first came out in 95? they still have grease ■■■■■■■ on the shackle pins, thats seriously old fashioned even daf did away with them on the 8 wheelers in approx 2005.
I am told they have the highest resale value of any of our old trucks and theres guys always waiting to buy them, why I havent a clue as we have 5 old ones with 1.2/3 million k on the clock and at any one time there are always two against the fence needing repair so thats 40 percent vor all the time, cant wait for the new ones to age!

At my part time job (retired old ■■■■ but can’t leave the lorries alone lol ) we have 5 65 plate FMX’s the main faults have been Ab Blue pumps &prop shaft centre bearings but I’ve got to say the I shift & engine brake are superb I think the gearbox software is now is a lot better for site work as I very seldom have to use manual on soft ground with the older ones it was manual & diff locks to get on & off plus a shove up the rear sometimes! lol

Funny you should say that about centre bearings. My mate works for easy load and all there’s have had centre bearings go

looks like we are getting a brand new 8 wheel grab thanks to my mates excellent work in smashing the Hino to bits :laughing:
i’m still trying to convince the boss to go for a P410 Scania(450 would suit me better but never gonna happen!!).
whatever we get will have a M125 epsilon crane,and hopefully a Thompson body-
I think i’m loosing the battle to sell him on the idea of a Scania,he’s been looking at stuff from Kelberg,and they can supply a Scania but its six grand dearer than everything else. so if the Scania option is a no no,its a straight choice of merc arocs(very poor off road,and we go properly off road at some tips so its a big issue for us) ,MAN or Daf cf 440. they are all around the same price and he’s told me to choose(even told me to go to kelbergs to have a look at them all and drive them, but it will be a daf with manual box I think as that’s what I have now and its been a good tool for us.)
the salesman is trying his hardest to convince him to get a kelberg body(well he would wouldn’t he!) -same price as a Thompson ffs.
has anyone got any experience of a kelberg body on muck/grab work? I think they look a bit cheap and I cant fault the thompsons ive had over the years considering the nature of the work we do.

It looks like the Kelberg has a lip on the inside of the body which I think muck would stick to. On the other hand they are lighter. Saw a 15 plate Volvo with one had a payload card asking for 19t.
Quite a bit of utility upgrades going on around here, and it seems they’ve all shopped at Kelberg. More expensive but almost available off fhe shelf.

Muckaway:
It looks like the Kelberg has a lip on the inside of the body which I think muck would stick to. On the other hand they are lighter. Saw a 15 plate Volvo with one had a payload card asking for 19t.
Quite a bit of utility upgrades going on around here, and it seems they’ve all shopped at Kelberg. More expensive but almost available off fhe shelf.

I thought they might be slightly lighter,but I don’t think two or three hundred kgs makes a great deal of difference to us,the strength and durability of a Thompson is bloody hard to beat -my current lorry is nearly six years old and whilst the body is scabby all it needs is a shotblast and paint and would be as good as new again.
i’ll be pushing for a Thompson.no easy sheet,just gets in the bloody way(ive used it two or three times in the last four years!!)we don’t ever carry rubbish,just muck / type one /sand, and I carry tarmac sheets which I can use in an emergency lol.rope hooks will be handy though

A lot of new grab wagons around here don’t have sheets,and now Smiths wont let them load out of their gravel pit (always been no sheet no load at the stone pits). One or two very local to the pit have fitted those drag back cheap things whereas the other firms simply buy their aggregate elsewhere now. Plenty of choice, one gravel pit and three inert wash plants nearby so if one brings in a silly rule, just sod off down the road to the others.

now my boss has made a few more enquiries to different suppliers, we have a few more options-
mv commercials are trying very hard to flog us a daf with a 400 engine-much better than a 440 according to their salesman.much better on fuel blah blah-i’d prefer a 440 obviously.and they are really plugging a “Greismann” body.i don’t know much about them but they are going to supply us with a Volvo fmx as a demo with one fitted.
I still feel a 440 daf with Thompson loadmaster is going to be hard to beat.thats my preffered choice at the moment.
it is nice to be able to have some input though :sunglasses:

Never heard of Greismann before.

Muckaway:
Never heard of Greismann before.

Neither have I -I hope he didn’t mean “Gleeson”-they have these on mv commercials site,they’re bolted together ffs!! Deffo don’t want one of those!!

Turns out it is a gleeson body-half round tube type thing
Very light-they are quoting a tare weight for an eight wheel daf cf 400 with epsilon m125 crane as 15.400 - My current cf( with the 12.9 litre engine) is 16700 odd !!!
They are sending us a demo next week.apparently they are mounted very low down for a lower center of gravity-10 inches lower than a Thompson .i’ll put some pics up when I get hold of it…