Tiny tesco trailers

I know tesco have those smaller trailers for expess/metro stores but saw one the other day and it was even smaller than the ones they use for the metro stores :exclamation: , normal size unit but the the lengh of the trailer was about the lenght of a sprinter van :exclamation:

i’d hate to think what access points they have been specially designed for must be a pig to get into if even those other smaller trailer cant be used. anybody use them on here :question: they cant take much weight surely as it only had 1 axle (I think)

I have one of those, 5M long and an absolute ■■■■■ to reverse on a dolly.

We have 10m rear steer jobs, brilliant in a tight space but try to go straight back onto a bay you’ve got no chance lol

I guess it’s cheaper and more flexible to run one of these little trailers than have a rigid do the same job?

i hoped the day would never come, but told some of our ev/night shift lads had to do some shop deliveries[didnt know they were open at night],seeing where some shops are i hope i deliver with a sprinter van, not a trailer the size of a spinter van, hopefully that day wont come

I’ve pulled those little 6m Tesco trailers, both the tandems & the single axled ones, they looked really silly behind my 540 Stralis :blush:

A few of the stores in London are only just big enough to reach, like the one at Portobello Road for example, that’s really a 4 wheeler job as are many others, the thing is it’s all about costs, the 4 wheelers need tipping & loading everytime they get back to the RDC, the trailers can be pre loaded so the lorry can be back out on it’s second run 15mins after arriving back, much more efficient :wink:

I saw one of those little 8m single axle trailers on the back of a hi cab Man TGA 6x2 not so long ago, just can’t remember who’s it was, it was the convenience store that has red livery.

We all see a lot of trucks from 3663 about,and they have a big range of trucks from rigids to artics,for any combination from 2 axles to 6.
On more than one occasion I’ve seen what I thought was a bit of a miss match by having a 6 X 2 unit pulling a 28’ single axle trailer!You could get more on a 4 X 2 rigid.
Is this poor planning?Or the only combination left in the yard to deliver a carton of frozen peas?

we have a single axle 8m fridge and as twin axle 8m curtainsider up at tesco livi, ive pulled both of them and are an absolute nightmare to reverse.

thing is they cant be pulled by a 6x2, rear axle is too close to the trailer legs, as scanny77 will tell u

another good mismatch is when we’re using a 4x2 fm for shunting and it’s on a 45ft double deck trailer. Looks soooo wrong.

tofer:
another good mismatch is when we’re using a 4x2 fm for shunting and it’s on a 45ft double deck trailer. Looks soooo wrong.

tesco send the 4x2s out on runs with the 45ft double decks which is a bit weird and it does look wrong

i had a 6 x 2 axor last saturday and ran past that silly wee thing 4 times before i looked at the number on the trailer. the jaws wouldnt lock and the rear of the unit was only a few inches in front of the trailer legs so i went into the office to point these things out and i was told to change my unit. the run was taken off me anyway but both drops that were on it are accessible with a 45 footer. workington and carlisle town centre although the latter is an early morning front door delivery in a 45 footer. the delivery bay is too restricted for the bigger trailers.

last night i discovered that the 4 x 2 DAFS are not to be used with the stobart rail trailers as the pins MAY be too deep for them. the only reason i found out was due to the fact that i spent 6 hours as the gopher. tipped half a dozen trailers at the RSU plus another 6 or so as drivers came in then the ran out of work so i took the minibus to lothian DAF so swap a wrong part. i hate sitting around doing nothing but even the shunters couldnt give me anything to do :confused:

scanny77:
i had a 6 x 2 axor last saturday and ran past that silly wee thing 4 times before i looked at the number on the trailer. the jaws wouldnt lock and the rear of the unit was only a few inches in front of the trailer legs so i went into the office to point these things out and i was told to change my unit. the run was taken off me anyway but both drops that were on it are accessible with a 45 footer. workington and carlisle town centre although the latter is an early morning front door delivery in a 45 footer. the delivery bay is too restricted for the bigger trailers.

last night i discovered that the 4 x 2 DAFS are not to be used with the stobart rail trailers as the pins MAY be too deep for them. the only reason i found out was due to the fact that i spent 6 hours as the gopher. tipped half a dozen trailers at the RSU plus another 6 or so as drivers came in then the ran out of work so i took the minibus to lothian DAF so swap a wrong part. i hate sitting around doing nothing but even the shunters couldnt give me anything to do :confused:

u shunting last night? yea the rail trailers are tight even on the tugs so would probably hit the back of the cabs on the dafs not that we`d want to pull them anyway. as for asking the shunters for stuff to do lol thats a stupid idea since half them dont do anything and fresh comes to a standstill after half an hour of shift changeover due to running out of trailers.

i started at 23.45 last night and a shunter was in the office asking for RSU to get tipped. that was my job. 21 kms on site running around tipping RSU and trying to occupy myself since the transport office couldnt find anything for me. then this job came up to nip across to DAF for a part. i didnt even put my card in last night :laughing:

21kms a night, thats more than i did some of my full 12 hour shifts shunting. think the least i did was 17kms in 12 hours lol.

though if you work at the fresh end shunting you obviously do a lot more,

did you drive like a shunter round the yard? sideways round the corners while ignoreing the no entry signs because it says shunting units only :laughing:

57 plate DAF. i wasnt shunting, just tipping abandoned trailers. i went to the shunters looking for work to do but they didnt have anything for me to do :confused:

What size of trailer goes into tesco on argyle street in glasgow, think the back door is on miller street? That shop looks an absolute ■■■■ of drop :confused:

probably a 10 metre, be a taillift drop aswell which are a nightmare

i have done 2 shops on argyle street, 1 either side of the motorway. the one towards the city centre is a back door delivery parking across a car park entrance. its a split load, i did glasgow cross and was meant to go back for the RSU but i picked it up while i was already there and just shifted things around at the next drop

i hate city centres deliveries :imp: