Times are 'ard

Well I Asked the gaffa for a pay rise today as everyone except drivers and the secretary are getting one, don’t ask you don’t get an all that :laughing:

His reply: why should you get a rise? You get a good wage for what you do and times aren’t as good as they were

Couldn’t talk to him long as he’s hired a team building consultant (google it, they actually exist :unamused: ) for two weeks so the office bods are working in the local pubs function room this week and the local sports centre next week I think. :laughing: :laughing:

I wish times were as hard for me as they are for him :unamused:

What have your bosses fobbed you off with while using the 'times are '‘ard’ line

Team Building for Tough Times

Building high performance teamwork and collaboration is essential for getting results in tough economic times. Whether your team has been through a merger or acquisition, a reduction in force, works in a stressful high demand environment, or is challenged to implement aggressive business growth plans, you can be successful though an integral approach to:

Effective Teamwork: higher levels of interpersonal communication, teamwork, accountability and trust;
Business Focus: a laser-sharp focus on business strategy, specific business goals and results, and effective organizational communication; and
Human Performance Engagement: practicing personal engagement strategies like visioning and goal setting, optimism, emotional intelligence, and human performance practices that keep you productive, energized, and out of negative mental and emotional states and behaviors

:open_mouth: Just copied a bit off one advert !! Reading that crap is enough to put you in a “negative mental and emotional state” ! :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: I’m sure my lot will all be tucking into their pub lunch in the beer garden soon. Maybe I just jealous :smiley:

I work for a fairly big company with several depots nationwide and the whole workforce was told no pay rise this year, right fair enough then even the bosses don’t get one.
But i’ve recently found out the warehouse staff at our depot have been giving one purely because they’re scared of losing them as there are a few new places going up locally one of them an Asda but they’re obviously not worried about losing drivers some of whom have been here for years, makes me mad. :imp:

Team building consultant AHA!!! Next month they go BUST. Eddie.

Team building,mmmmm,I think we’ve long gone past that stage,even one of our t.o bods said I’ve asked,and I’ve asked and there not interested,but as long as the wages go in the bank ,who cares :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:

Look for another job that pays more and when you find one leave. :smiley:

A friend of mine is a very successful business consultant, he started doing that when he went bust! :stuck_out_tongue:

Think yourself lucky!
We have had this year along the following:
Team Building/Time & Motion/Safe Working Practices consultants come through the door.
We mostly laugh & then get told to get on with our job.
The pencil pushers must be laughing all the way to the bank! :open_mouth:

the reason drivers get fc uk all is that theyre ■■■■■■■■ and yes men who ■■■■ it up for everyone, i turned full time job down yesterday as 8.00 phr right through then he said oh you have to do saturdays as well err so when im on me break do i wash your car think im daft yer wanna see our kid stick up for yourselves

thats why the country is zb"d, consultant this n that, nothing but leeches in pointy patent leather shoes theyll be a new one out soon arse wiping consultant its all bull shhiiittt rant over

my nice boss has given us all a £500 bonus today :laughing: :laughing: so glad i dont drive lorrys anymore

bald bloke:
I work for a fairly big company with several depots nationwide and the whole workforce was told no pay rise this year, right fair enough then even the bosses don’t get one.
But i’ve recently found out the warehouse staff at our depot have been giving one purely because they’re scared of losing them as there are a few new places going up locally one of them an Asda but they’re obviously not worried about losing drivers some of whom have been here for years, makes me mad. :imp:

I sometimes wonder if you and I work for the same company as there have been many comparisons in the things you post.

If you’ve been on a four year pay freeze like me then we do :slight_smile:

anisboy:

bald bloke:

I sometimes wonder if you and I work for the same company as there have been many comparisons in the things you post.

If you’ve been on a four year pay freeze like me then we do :slight_smile:

2 yrs out of 5 we’ve had a pay freeze so roll on next year.

Its always the same isn’t it? The problem being is that drivers are currently very easy to replace and will be for years to come - Eastern Europe is full of them as we all know. Drivers are never invited to take part in team building because they are not seen as part of the team - just a small whinging cog in a bigger machine. It is forgotten that with truck, trailer and load you easily often have half a million quids worth of goods in your control but are thought less of than turd.

Sooner or later haulage bosses will realise that their vehicles will not go out on the road without someone to drive it !
In defense of the hauliers they are up against the wall with haulage rates being poor, and other outfits undercutting them to get the work.

erfguy:
Team building consultant AHA!!! Next month they go BUST. Eddie.

There speaks an experienced man.

I’ve seen that a few times myself, next they’ll change fuel suppliers, then a different tyre firm, then finally a different padlock on the gate…

In one of my previous jobs the drivers had no pay rise for five years due to “times being hard in the industry”.
In the sixth year we were actually asked to take a pay CUT “to avoid redundancies”. When we refused, life carried on as normal, the only change being that the boss’ Bentley was replaced with a new model within a month.

The reason that we don’t get pay raises anymore is simple, from their point of view…there is NO NEED :bulb: . They know that there are too many drivers so if you won’t do it for £x per hour there are always those that will, and as somebody just said they prefer Yes Men to those that would dare to stand up to them when they treat you like school boys, so crap pay with little or no resistance, and more money available to upgrade the BMW :sunglasses: .
Then you get the stars that balls up any remote chance of an increase that you may have had anyway, by agreeing to things like trading holidays for bloody light bars etc :open_mouth: , while the boss is secretly laughing his knob off at them safe in the knowledge that he must be paying them enough/too much if they are stupid enough to agree to this, and at the same time his co. profile is being raised by being seen to be running showpiece motors for the same expenditure as needed to run standard.
In the recession in the late 80s you could see who it was hitting by the kit that was used, but today more new trucks are on the road than there ever was at that time, so it looks like the state of the economy is a convenient excuse also to justify poor wages and so it goes on.

As others have said, the problem at the moment is ‘if you don’t do it, someone else will’.

BUT, that doesn’t mean you should do it.

I worked for a firm a few years ago, and was on a day rate + night out money as a tramper, he decided to get night work for the truck, so I had to be back in the yard everyday no later than 18.30 which was great even though I was over a hundred quid per week down + putting 5 times as much fuel in the car, then 2 weeks later he said “I need to drop your day rate by £10, you’re not doing the hours you used to and the truck’s not earning as much”, I told him to ■■■■ off, 15hr days for a day rate replaced by 12 - 14hr days for same day rate, but now he wants to drop the day rate?? NO CHANCE. If he wanted it to work like that, he should pay hourly.
Anyway, he left my wages alone, but all the others took a pay cut, so 2 weeks later he was back at my cab door, so I quit on the spot.

I think, because the others took the pay cut, he thought he could replace me for the same money as he was paying them, but he couldn’t, lads took a pay cut because they already worked there, but when advertised at the new rate there was no takers, phone calls to me 3 times over the next 2 weeks and then company went bump 5 weeks later after 2 of the other drivers left.

If you’re happy with what you’re earning great, if you took the job knowing the wage then great, you can’t complain, but if they start attacking your wages and you bend over and take it, then you’re a muppet.

I know we’re all effectively having pay cuts by not having pay rises and the cost of everything going up, but that’s still not the same as an actual pay cut at the same time as everything going up.