Time To Change.

Hi Everyone. Been on this forum for about half a year looking at all different things. From building up my knowledge to just having a laugh.

I am all smiles to be on my last shift at McDonalds today. I can’t really fault the place because it got me the money for my Class 1 & 2 Licences. I start my new job on Wednesday, jumping straight into a artic truck. I’ll be helped along by my dad to start off with but then next week I’m on my Billy.

I am excited about the change in career but as I was at McDonalds I ended up hating it. What I want to know is, the new guys/gals drivers with maybe half a year under there belt, have you still got the excitement you had when you first started and also do you more experienced people with 10+ years still enjoy the job. I understand the money isn’t amazing but do you go to work thinking this is alright.

Finally has anyone got any general tips when out in the truck. :slight_smile:

Great to hear you’re making a start in driving. I believe that driving is still a great job as long as you can learn to let stuff roll off you. By “stuff” I mean rubbish from transport office staff, forkies, etc. Personally I still love driving and set myself targets for superb driving. That makes it interesting and starts viewing driving as a profession rather than a job. I like to take a real pride in what I do and encourage others to do the same.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

great job as long as you can learn to let stuff roll off you. By “stuff” I mean rubbish from transport office staff, forkies, etc.

As long as you don’t take it personally… then its all good…learn to be sarcastic to plebs like that and enjoy the fun of ■■■■■■■ with them…Driving is stressful enough with out idiots like that putting you down :grimacing:

Well 24yrs in and I still enjoy the job as much.Been to countries and seen things a normal job would’nt give you.Not saying everyday is perfect.But I would’nt swap it for anything else.So all the best and enjoy your new proffesion.

No two days are the same.You meet people that you would not see if not driving.
If driving abroad,you get paid to go to places where people have to pay to visit.
You get to see some nice scenery.If working early in the morning,the air smells sweet,the sun rising,the birds singing.

Makes me even more eager to start. Great to see people still liking the job. I’ve took the advise on board and will make sure I enjoy as much as I can. Thank you.

Thinking about it, if you can cope with Mc Donalds customers, you’ll be fine fending off the crap merchants you’ll maybe come across!

Plenty of drivers now think this is a dreadful job - - but they carry on doing it! So, presumably, it cant really be that bad. Sure, the job has changed mainly with telecommunications spoiling some of the old freedoms. But, on the other hand, the trucks are sheer luxury compared to 40 years ago.

Don’t bother getting involved in arguments with folks; it’s a lot easier and better for your blood pressure just to go with the flow. But try and stay away from drivers who profess to hate the job. It will only get you down.

Take a pride in what you do - regardless of what others may think.

All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Lsands:
Finally has anyone got any general tips when out in the truck. :slight_smile:

Never ever rush very important.

Good luck in your new venture.

Paul :smiley:

Don’t be tempted to visit your old mates at McDs in the lorry coz it will not fit in the drive-thru :smiley:

Thanks for the comments.

Haha ROG I’ll turn up, think, I can fit that through there… Oops.

I’m sure I will have a good start if I keep in mind everything I’ve been told.