Time to carry out checks?

hi i have had my class one for 20 odd years but not really used it that much, until recently when i have started doing a bit of agency work mainly asda ,the thing is when they hand you all the paper work with all the checks to carry out do they really expect you to do all of them …i have being doing it to the letter ,they even sent us an email stating all mots and licences must be double checked ,got handed my paper work the other day at 4,25 went and found my truck put card in had a look over for damage ect 15 mins later found trailer hooked up rear light was out so went to office to tell him this was about 4,50 he must have looked at the clock about 4 times while i was telling him the bulb was out, he came out fixed it (fuse had blown ) checked all the rest of the trailer ,then the planner guy says your a suppose to at your second drop by 6 am, :blush: i said that’s impossible, so are other drivers just ticking the boxes, cos i physically could not check it out any faster puts you under pressure from the start and that is one thing they said they would not do

Politely ask planner what his realistic solution is to the issue without compromising safety or the law

That puts the solution in their court and not yours

I always say it arrives just after I get there … they never answer back on that one

Where I work it’s normally a 45 minute process from clocking on until leaving the yard, unless the trailer’s on a red light.

If it takes you 10,20,30 minutes to check then so be it it’ll take longer explaining to a copper why you haven’t checked it. If its not your normal drive it will take you a while to look over it. It takes me all off 5-10 minutes to check mine but we have our own trucks. I spend all day giving it a quick check after I’ve tipped or after lunch etc and always wash it off and have a look before I park up so if there’s something wrong I know about it I don’t feel the need to spend 20 minutes in the morning checking every last corner off it. If I was agency or worked somewhere where I picked a set off keys to any truck then I’d say your 20 minutes or so is about right. In short just tell him to do one :slight_smile:.

Ive been under pressure before to get out and underway and then arrived to drop a trailer, gone to take number plate off and then realised that hadnt had it on in first place driven all way without it on trailer if I could miss something as obvious as number plate god knows what else I could have missed so now have a routine that I stick to and it takes me as long as it takes me to do my checks no one pressures me any more I wont let them !!

Jennie:
Ive been under pressure before to get out and underway and then arrived to drop a trailer, gone to take number plate off and then realised that hadnt had it on in first place driven all way without it on trailer if I could miss something as obvious as number plate god knows what else I could have missed so now have a routine that I stick to and it takes me as long as it takes me to do my checks no one pressures me any more I wont let them !!

hope the doors were shut not like the parcle wagon at jn 6 southbound m5 lastweek at 3.30 am