Time overlap (tacho question)

Been driving trucks today, and when moving from one to another, I havent noticed that clocks aren’t exactly the same, when I put card in second one, I had a message “time overlap” as I had put it 3 minutes before I removed it from the other one. I pulled the card out, put it back three minutes later, but it already recognized that I put it before, so I made manual entry for rest for that three minutes…

Am I all right?

Yes you should be OK, I believe it’s legal to drive a vehicle with the UTC time up-to 20 minutes out so you could have left the card in, as long as anyone checking your records can see that you’ve changed vehicles (which they can) there shouldn’t be a problem.

It will be obvious now that the card was left out for three minutes so you will need to keep the printout with the written explanation on it in case you get stopped.

That happened to me once and it did stay on me card meaning every time I done a print out you could see it on there, 4 minutes in my case.

A ‘time overlap’ is defined in the legislation as a time difference between two VUs that a card is inserted into. The time on the VU that the card is inserted into second being behind the time of the VU that the card was originally inserted into. For example; VU 1 time is 15:30, VU 2 time is 15:25, a ‘time overlap’ of 5 minutes. Just as described by Orys.

As Tachograph said a ‘time overlap’ is nothing to worry about, provided that the time difference between the VU and ‘real’ UTC is 20 minutes (+/-) or less. If the difference is more than 20 minutes (i.e 21 minutes) then the vehicle must go to a calibration centre for the UTC to be adjusted.

The card will record full activity for both VUs. Strictly speaking it was wrong to eject the card and wait 3 minutes before putting it back in again. as the card will keep full records from both VUs just carry on doing the job, no printout needed as the ‘event’ record will keep a note of the vehicle registration number and the card insertion / withdrawal records will show what happened. Manual entry of ‘rest’ is not strictly correct, how can you be ‘resting’ when moving between vehicles? However, it’s done now and I really wouldn’t worry about it.

The card will retain six records for ‘time overlap.’ The record will remain on the card until overwritten by a later event.

Ah, OK then. Thank you, guys.

I had a 57 min overlap because one was set on BST and the other on UTC.

waddy640:
I had a 57 min overlap because one was set on BST and the other on UTC.

Same here, I had a one hour overlap. Spent 7 months defecting it too. :unamused: