Time for foreign trucks to pay

it is time for the foreign trucks to pay their share of the damage to the roads caused by their trucks clock them in clock them out pay per day plus top up duty on fuel they bring with them.when british hauliers are brought before the courts it is said they must obay the rules so we all have a level paying field. well lets have one then and get them charged its only fair

That sounds okay in principle but you will be heaping another cost onto the British haulier when you do this. Under EU law any road user charges for trucks have to apply to all trucks and not just foreign ones, which is why German trucks pay the Maut and trucks from those countries in the vignette system also have to buy it.

The government may scrap the Road Fund Licence for British trucks because of a new charge or way of paying for the roads but unless the daily or distance related charge, whatever is decided on, is so small as to be pointless most, if not all, hauliers will end up paying more. While it is a good idea in principle I can’t help feeling it would be a bit like turkeys voting for Christmas. :wink:

it is time for the foreign trucks to pay their share of the damage to the roads caused by their trucks clock them in clock them out pay per day plus top up duty on fuel they bring with them.when british hauliers are brought before the courts it is said they must obay the rules so we all have a level paying field. well lets have one then and get them charged its only fair

Whilst none of us foreigners (Im ex pat living and working out of Spain) would quibble about paying to use your roads - crap as they are, we could at least expect to be able to drive on them as well sit in endless queues wasting our allegedly cheap diesel.

We do have to pay in France, Benelux, Germany, Italy, Swiss etc, but we can actually travel freely without wasting hours in horiific traffic jams.

As far as “cheap diesel” its not our fault that you get ripped off. Its also worth noting that given the cost of diesel here in Spain and the differential between incomes, standards of living etc… our diesel isnt actually that much cheaper in “real terms” than yours - it just seems like it is.

It’s about time that nobody paid, anywhere in the EU, directly. Roads should be maintained through general taxation.
By enlarge they are still in the UK and used to be in Benelux and Germany. It was a backward step that the latter were allowed to introduce penal charges a few years ago instead of the EU concentrating on freeing up France and Italy to bring everybody into line.

well hombre i do not know what to say you have taken the wind right out of my sails hang on the roads are crap because they have been damaged by heavy foreign juggernoughts thundering through our villages. any one remember when the media aalways spoke of juggernoughts i have not heard that term for a pong time

Again Coffee,

you have hit the nail on the head, any scheme introduced will see us worse off its the way of this government :imp:

Now the blockade word is being used, at christmas the UK public would turn on the transport industry as they did the fire service. Face it we live in a country of lemmings who do what they are told when they are told(then moan about it afterwards) and the government know it.

Although she is a mad old bint!! you may have seen Vivian Westwood on the box saying that Democracy has been removed from this country by this government at the expense of all who have died to preserve it in the past. Personally I think she is right where is an efficient Guy Fawlkes when you need him.

Short of National anarchy and Civil war we will sit and grin and moan and that’s our lot unfortunately. I have just one simple wish and that is that Brown and his Darling are blown sky high by whatever extremist group wants to and soon!! :open_mouth: