Time for a change?

Hello
Ill try to cut a long story short.I decided at the age of 16 that I wanted to drive trucks for a living,but thought I would get a trade behind me before I reached 21 so became a car mechanic.Im 39 next week,and still a mechanic,albeit in my own garage but still up to my armpits in oil,grease etc.Don’t know where the times gone really.Anyway ive been saying for years now I don’t want to be doing it when im 40 which is approaching fast,so I think I should seriously look into a career change this year(not the best time I know).I got my C+E in Sept 08 and just applied for digicard and my licence is as clean as a pin.
I would appreciate any advice you could give me before I approach any firms or agencies.I live down the bottom end of Cornwall so if anyone knows of any local companies that take on newbies,please let me know.I appreciate you’ve been asked this a million times before and it’s the no experience issue,but could do with securing a job before doing anything drastic.Its like my old man always said to me “Don’t jump boy,before you’ve found somewhere to jump to”
Many thanks

daz0-1:
Hello
Ill try to cut a long story short.I decided at the age of 16 that I wanted to drive trucks for a living,but thought I would get a trade behind me before I reached 21 so became a car mechanic.Im 39 next week,and still a mechanic,albeit in my own garage but still up to my armpits in oil,grease etc.Don’t know where the times gone really.Anyway ive been saying for years now I don’t want to be doing it when im 40 which is approaching fast,so I think I should seriously look into a career change this year(not the best time I know).I got my C+E in Sept 08 and just applied for digicard and my licence is as clean as a pin.
I would appreciate any advice you could give me before I approach any firms or agencies.I live down the bottom end of Cornwall so if anyone knows of any local companies that take on newbies,please let me know.I appreciate you’ve been asked this a million times before and it’s the no experience issue,but could do with securing a job before doing anything drastic.Its like my old man always said to me “Don’t jump boy,before you’ve found somewhere to jump to”
Many thanks

It would probably be best to keep doing the cars and use the money you’ve earned to run your own wagon as a subby.That way you could pick and choose the type of work and you’ll by pass all of the catch 22 of experience.But wether it would earn as much as fixing cars for a living is another question.If it was me it’s a no contest as I’ve worked on plenty of cars of my own and driven plenty of trucks and driving trucks wins every time even if the pay sometimes is’nt as good as being a professional mechanic could earn.

daz0-1:
Hello

I would appreciate any advice you could give me before I approach any firms or agencies.

It would help to know what type of work you want, particularly whether you want day work or want do do nights away. If it’s the latter, then I would suggest you put all of your night-out gear in your can and then drive around on a Monday mid-morning,call in at any haulage yard which has a tractor unit parked in it (it should be out at work) and tell them that you are available to start NOW.