Time and a half

Hello all,

I tramp monday to friday but there has been times where I have worked till Saturday or started the week on a sunday, I get paid a daily rate rather than an hourly,

My question is simple, should I expect a higher rate for weekend work?

Ta much.

This question is why us lorry drivers get called thick.

Common sense says work weekends get paid more.
Work nights get paid more.

Depends what your contract says. On the agency I’m with weekend work pays a bit more, but generally the days of time-and-a-half and double time for Saturday and Sunday work have long gone.

With many companies enhanced rates have long gone mainly due to 24/7 operations. Drivers at some point agreed a higher day rate, only getting enhanced payments for shifts like afternoons or nights,not w/end working, Its when "newbies"to a company who have been used to time n half double bubble etc but on a low “crap” day rate question the pay system. Not saying its the same in your query.

We get time and a half on Saturdays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I first…

Came across this ‘all days paid at flat’ rate years ago when I turned up in Spalding to tip a load of melons from Spain on a Sunday evening. I wandered onto the loading dock and said ‘why all the glum faces, it’s Sunday innit double bubble’. The grumpiest of them replied ‘nah mate we get flat rate all the way through here’.

Most contracts I hear about now dictate the flat rate 24/7, as well as when you can and can’t have holidays. ■■■■ that!

Getting extra money for Saturday Sunday and bank holidays is one of the few perks left. Having said that, I do feel that double bubble should be exactly that and not a percentage over the flat rate.

It ain’t complicated (and I know I keep banging on about it :blush: ) but 99 firms out of 100 that pay enhanced rates, and premium time after 40 hours and Sat and Sundays, are Union backed firms…(.despite all the bs usually stated on here about anti Union feeling . :unamused: )
It’s drivers themselves that are to blame for accepting same rate right through status in the past…so ■■■■ it up.

Where I work (Flogas) it’s X1:5 Sat & Sun X2 bank hols & +20% night rate & X1:5 after 45 hours.
At the moment work is flat out so very easy to be earning decent money, think most companies in the Cryogenic tanker area pay similar. I would never go back to working for a flat rate unless it was north of £20.

Im basic for 9 hours every day then anything after that its 1.5.Saturdays are 1.5 and sunday is double bubble.Also if any bank holidays are worked its double time day in lieu plus £30 for working it. So some drivers are think as pig jobbie.

I must be thick as pigs jobbie because I never had time and a half or double time. I am agency and its about £4hr sat £6hr sunday extra. Don’t know any agencies in the area which do it the other way (Northamptonshire).

independent.co.uk/news/uk/p … 48611.html

Looks like there is worse to come…

Darkside:
Boris Johnson could ditch promise to protect workers' rights and environmental protections after Brexit, No 10 suggests | The Independent | The Independent

Nah. The Tories are the vmthe new vote for the working class dont you know? :unamused: :laughing:

Yes in theory you should get more for weekend work, especially as you are on a 5 day normal week if i understand correctly.

Day rate is an odd thing, all depends on the rate and what your average hours are, the only way to compare is to divide your hours worked by the pay received (twit, other way round) which will give you a mean average hourly pay, then find out what other jobs are going in your area and how they are paid and do the sums, see which works out best for you.

If it appears you are being turned over then go see your gaffer and negotiate a better rate for your weekends for a starter, i’ve done this several times over the years and (in one place ignoring the union which was useless as the stewards were personally corrupt) have had success for myself and everyone else not in the steward’s clique of chums by presenting a decent well constructed case to the man himself and getting some worthwhile increases…this is not a pop at unions, they were the nasty exception in stewards not the rule.**
If he’s not interested you already know after your calcs that your future lies elsewhere.

I work an odd shift pattern and i’m salaried which effectively means i get a fixed day rate, but that rate is calculated to include proper payments for weekends, bank hols and early starts which would in better days have attracted dark money…as i said divide hours worked by pay (twit again, other way round) and see what the hourly rate really is.

**Years later i was offered a lucrative deal to go back there and start something they wanted to try out, shop steward wanted to know the ins and outs because…get this…people getting special treatment wasn’t on :smiling_imp: , one other bloke came on the new job with me and weeks later was boasting to the others how much we were earning :unamused: , not as it mattered as such it wasn’t any big secret because they expanded that side when it proved successful anyway, i was merely giving said stewards a taste of their own :sunglasses: which people like that don’t like :laughing:

Darkside:
Boris Johnson could ditch promise to protect workers' rights and environmental protections after Brexit, No 10 suggests | The Independent | The Independent

Surely you don`t believe what the Independent reporters write same goes for Guardian and Huff Post,they are so left wing they spout anything anti Tory

lolipop:

Darkside:

Surely you don`t believe what the Independent reporters write same goes for Guardian and Huff Post,they are so left wing they spout anything anti Tory

The Queen’s speech mentions new legislation to ban an all out rail strike? I guess she a left winger spouting anti Tory stuff as well?

Darkside:

lolipop:

Darkside:

The Queen’s speech mentions new legislation to ban an all out rail strike? I guess she a left winger spouting anti Tory stuff as well?

the railways run on overtime just stop that and same affect

mac12:

Darkside:

lolipop:

Darkside:

A thread on how drivers don’t get overtime, and you advocate stopping overtime…

[
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
A thread on how drivers don’t get overtime, and you advocate stopping overtime…
[/quote]
I meant railway workers can stop working overtime and no trains will run so same affect as a strike

Ah apologies for that I misread your post!

Asked the gaffer, the answer was a laugh…hmmmm time to look elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies tho.