Timber haulage in the uk

Heading for home

Not in the U.K. but i had to put this one on. Did’nt see this was on the thread earlier!!!

A%201.jpg

Come on lads more pictures !!

Tip top timber photos already! I spotted this beastie a few years back on the Chatsworth estate (in Derbyshire, as opposed to Manchester ala Shamless :slight_smile:

Port of Blyth

Hello!

Timber is heavy and I see it is most common use 3-axle Lorries and 3-axle trailers. Is this the ultimate vehicle combination hauling timber? I can see a Lorry as have timber crane (like we have in Sweden) on the back and seems alone. Are there any as use Lorry + pup trailer as can carry two piles of 5-6 metres timber?

In Sweden we began build ways by the wood overall in this country on 1950 decade. Thanks to them we can carry 60 ton (load and Lorry weight) because they are well build and have no asphalt on it as can crack. On the winter we have heavy frost deep down the soil and it allows our Lorries drive where they should otherwise get stuck. Then during the spring the frost will melt and at least timber Lorries is forbidden drive there because not destroy the land but also they can be stuck. We have both Lorries as has bogies who are double driven and them as is driven on only one axle and the other is of hoisted up type. No one uses 2-axle pup trailers. Everyone as haul timber have both 3-axle or 4-axle trailers and 3-axle trucks.

youtube.com/watch?v=oCv0YRkRXjI

Click on this link and watch the video. 90 tons and 66 tons of payloads need a powerful Lorry. You can notice the snow and ice on the ground. It made it easier swing rig when it swings lighter and wear on the tires is less than dry pavement. And to drive on such way is great even for cars. Perhaps many of you have been known of that rig?

Here a ling showing a Scania as have got stuck in mood and a Valmet 890.3 loader is helping out. Hope you enjoy what you see.

youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=IXqSpIKf6y4

Kind regards
Lars-Gunnar :slight_smile:

A hard working old one seen recently,still in daily use from Shropshire.

Some more from the Welsh Borders.

B & J Davies of Bucknell courtesy of John Jet Morgan.

Thanks Dave for helping me out with the pictures they are very good and the old ones great. Keep up the with the work you do . Tony

mercman123:
Thanks Dave for helping me out with the pictures they are very good and the old ones great. Keep up the with the work you do . Tony

Got plenty more Tony,will post them soon.
Cheers Dave.

FH13:
Hello!
youtube.com/watch?v=oCv0YRkRXjI

Click on this link and watch the video. 90 tons and 66 tons of payloads need a powerful Lorry. You can notice the snow and ice on the ground. It made it easier swing rig when it swings lighter and wear on the tires is less than dry pavement. And to drive on such way is great even for cars. Perhaps many of you have been known of that rig?

Here a ling showing a Scania as have got stuck in mood and a Valmet 890.3 loader is helping out. Hope you enjoy what you see.

youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=IXqSpIKf6y4

Kind regards
Lars-Gunnar :slight_smile:

Interesting videos :slight_smile: Wish we could run at those weights over here.

Some more from John Jet Morgan’s collection.

Hi Dave great pictures as ever you are like a dictionary of all things trucks !! keep up the good work . Tony

No problem Tony,just got a lot of pis that people have lent for the Welsh Border thread,they are all on there.Here’s a few more.
Cheers Dave.

John Jet Morgan seen loading the timber wagon.

John supervising the loading of a traxcavator onto his wagon which doubled as a lowloader.

Some from Roy Morgan.

Canada Dock Liverpool,BRS in abundance…I only went in there twice for standards of timber around 1968,got both the loads off L’Pool BRS Studholme Street depot and was in and out in under an hour.Talk about being surprised,had to have an hour on Woodhead to get over t’shock. :smiley:

Great pictures Dave . They must have worked really hard too get that timber down and onto the lorries. Its amazing it would be hard enough now with new machines . You have too take your hats for them doing that job. Tony

mercman123:
Great pictures Dave . They must have worked really hard too get that timber down and onto the lorries. Its amazing it would be hard enough now with new machines . You have too take your hats for them doing that job. Tony

They used heavy horses Tony to tush the timber out of the woods and block and tackle.As you say it must have been hard work,but timber still is hard and dangerous work.
Cheers Dave.