Tight Reverse no shunt forward

Hi folks looking for a bit of advice on a near side reverse.
The area you are reversing trailer into isn’t the issue plenty of room and also a banks man helping you back, the problem is the area you are reversing back from there really isn’t much room the road dosent really allow you to bend the trailer much and there is a fence running along the side of the road to your left
I know it is possible to do the reverse because I’ve watched people do it previously but today I just couldn’t get around corner the fence on the left kept getting in the bloody way, thankfully it was only one pallet I was delivering and fork lift driver bailed me out by telling me to pull forward and took item off the trailer.
I was raging with my myself and I’m now dreading going back to this site, I literally had trailer almost in a jack knife position trying to get around corner,
I pulled forward and tried different angles with slight left and hard left turns on steering wheel but I had to quit each time because unit was about to hit fence on my left I appreciate no one can no the actual reverse onsaid site but put simply how the hell do you do a tight nearside reverse with no forward shunt.

If you imagine yourself already on the bay, could you drive out forwards and away? Then you do the exact same in reverse.

(This is completely theory as far as my abilities).
After a nights sleep, this only refers to the path of the trailer wheels - so not sure it’s any use at all.

But I think it still stands, the trailer will continue to bend even starting with very little, therefore you don’t need a lot of room on your left if the setup is right.

Wot no more answers!■■ FFS!

I don’t know if i’m picturing the situation as it really is, but if you don’t have much swing space with the unit as you go back I’d suggest getting further forward (or past?) the turn, starting with a little kick in the trailer to send it the right way and aim to have the trailer drop in almost without any input to adjust.

The angle on the headboard increases naturally as you reverse into the turn then just have enough space on your offside and put on lock in time to bring the cab round to square up as the trailer is parallel in the entrance.

If you don’t get the starting position right it can be near impossible to correct it though the move though so need to pull back to a slightly different starting position.

njl:
I don’t know if i’m picturing the situation as it really is, but if you don’t have much swing space with the unit as you go back I’d suggest getting further forward (or past?) the turn, starting with a little kick in the trailer to send it the right way and aim to have the trailer drop in almost without any input to adjust.

The angle on the headboard increases naturally as you reverse into the turn then just have enough space on your offside and put on lock in time to bring the cab round to square up as the trailer is parallel in the entrance.

If you don’t get the starting position right it can be near impossible to correct it though the move though so need to pull back to a slightly different starting position.

I know what you are saying pull forward a little more than my normal start position and with a slight bend on the trailer let it do the work for you before straighten the trailer.

Sometimes jackknifing it in is the best way to do it :stuck_out_tongue:. i.e max lock until your cab is almost touching the trailer.
Although can be tricky as you gotta try to do it in such a way that it straightens out at the right time.
You want your trailer wheels pivot point as close to the fence as possible (assuming that’s the bit your can see.) Almost touching. If you know you are tight as you can to one side then you know you are clear the other side. Again, assuming the trailer fits.
Generally the pivot point is the gap between the two wheels on a twin axle trailer or the middle wheel on a tri-axle trailer.

Well, I could be wrong. After a while you stop looking at the wheels so much for the pivot point and you just know what they trailer will do and when it will do it lol. But I am pretty sure that is correct :smiley:

Start far enough away, put some bend on and keep the unit parallel with the road. You may need a bit of room on the fence side to straighten up once you are going into the opening. If you are over cooking it (taking it too tight), then pull forward where you came from and “take it off” a bit sooner, by which I mean steer into the side you see trailer to straighten up your combination.
Hope this helps, best of luck.