Thursday will b my 1st time trucking abroad...Advise please

Alright people…got me first trucking trip out of the UK come Thursday…either Holland…Belgium or France…either for 4 or 6 days…Naturally a bit nervous…it ain’t just like going on holiday…so what tips would you lot offer…in reference to:-

a) What provisions to take (never normally do nights out…and if i have to…i just get the extras from a 24hr Tesco or Asda…

b) What to watch out for…basically the difference between our and their driving rules and conditions

c) Any tips on driving a lefthander…or driving a righthander abroad…(not sure what i’m getting…but only ever driven righthanders)

d) Where to park…where not to

e) The crossing

…basically any advise…to put me at ease…

Ta

a) Eat out. The restaurants, truck stops and even MSA’s are far superior to those on offer in the UK, so eating out and making the most of the experience would be my advice.

b) Most of the rules are the same but be aware of the many no overtaking restrictions, all the countries you mention operate them to one degree or another. They are signposted and if you are not sure if you are in a section or not don’t risk it, wait until you pass an exit becuae if there is a restriction the sign will be repeated there. Some are 24 hour bans and some are only for the times listed on a plate below the sign. In Belgium if it is raining there is no overtaking for trucks over 7.5 tonnes at all.

If you indicate to overtake and an approaching vehicle flashes you it doesn’t mean out you come, it means don’t even think about it as I am coming through.

If you are going out Thursday for 4 - 6 days this will include Sunday when there is no driving for trucks in France from 22:00 Saturday until 22:00 Sunday, except for the A16 between the Belgian border and Dunkerque, Calais or the train and only then if you are not carrying hazardous. Belgium and Holland don’t have Sunday restrictions that apply to you.

c) Driving a right hander just means a little more observation, especially when making a right turn but with a bit of deft positioning of the unit and trailer you can make life easier for yourself. The standard of driving is a little better in those countries than the UK, although there are still numpties. In general car drivers have better lane discipline and are far less likely to dawdle along in your blind spot, probably the main cause of left-hand drive and car comings together in the UK.

d) Exercise the same caution as you would in the UK and don’t believe all the stories you hear about gas attacks etc.

e) Depends on where you are crossing but if it is Dover or the Shuttle it is all well signposted and very straightforward.

Don’t forget your passport, you will need it. :wink: :smiley:

Just to add to coffeholic,when you eat at a MSA in France as you plonk your tray down to pay. Dont forget to say “Routier”,as this will get you a drivers discount.

And don’t forget to cross your sevens :stuck_out_tongue:

if you end up going to the benelux countries you will need to get vignette for each day you are there. if you have time pop into ashford truckstop to get it, or if your sailing on norfolk line, you can get it at their booking in booths or on their boats (well most of them)

Ta…not going now…doing round the uk instead…but will going on next run for this company…(don’t even know who they r…errrrmmm must ask agency)

Keep the info coming

That reminds me what about this WI-FI business…if i buy a card for me laptop…do the MSA’s offer this service■■?

Just to add my little bit, as obvious as it sounds roundabouts go anticlockwise and require a little thought as you must look to your left, and if approaching a ‘T’ junction (especially) when joining a dual carriageway LOOK LEFT FIRST. :open_mouth:

Good luck and enjoy it, it’s nothing like as daunting as you probably think it’ll be, just don’t try to rush. :wink:

Ross.

Little bit more.You will drive under CMR regulations on the continent.
You’re NOT in the UK,so this stands for “Chauffeur/Chauffeuse Must Rest”.
You are NOT obliged to offload your truck.
Give a hand & they may be impressed,fall off the truck,insurance wont be.
In case anyone wants to have a dig,my 1st job was as a chauffeur & now I’m a contucteur routier. :blush:
Think I missed the train somewhere :laughing:

Sorry conDucteur

And the Douane( Customs ) and Gendarmes are quite shy about accepting bribes so try to get them apart before offering them coffee money. Its best if you offer the younger officer a few euros round the back of the trailer.

Wheel Nut.
DO NOT TRY THAT HERE.(I live 1K from the port)
Popeye from Cherbourg was still in nick the last I was told.With the other guys from the Spanish border.
The “bung” now is a ticket to the nick,as they all speak English.
Give me the old days,T forms,or better TIR carnet.
“Where are you?”
“Stuck Boss”
“OK”.

DaveL:
Wheel Nut.
DO NOT TRY THAT HERE.(I live 1K from the port)
Popeye from Cherbourg was still in nick the last I was told.With the other guys from the Spanish border.
The “bung” now is a ticket to the nick,as they all speak English.
“Where are you?”
“Stuck Boss”
“OK”.

Well you started it by posting a silly comment :smiley:

Also in many French towns they still operate priority a droit , if there is no solid white line on a side road (stop line) they have priority even if you are on a main road.

Dave L
I thought Pinocchio at Cherbourg was killed in a M/C accident.

DaveL:

Don’t forget ‘carnet de passage’ for the trailer (when passing through an EC state) & permits or ‘EEC book’, the job’s a lot more straight forward now.

Ross. :smiley:

:laughing:

kerbut
Sorry you are correct, but still dont try to bung as the old days are gone.
As for our friend on the bike I was nowhere near :blush:

another handy hint if you can plan it for next week when you are on your way back, if you are shipping via calais dont park anywhere along the A16 in France to avoid the little [zb]s getting into the back of your trailer

dont frighten him too much i parked and slept very well with no passangers on board tuesday night at the dkv truck stop in calais Yes i was silly i know but it is as safe as anywhere in and around calais can be :laughing:

Spacemonkeypg:
another handy hint if you can plan it for next week when you are on your way back, if you are shipping via calais dont park anywhere along the A16 in France to avoid the little [zb]s getting into the back of your trailer

Belgium isn’t much better either. Last week I saw groups of about 5 or 6 of these people walking down the hard shoulder in the direction of Calais as far inland as Gent! Obviously the danger is greater the nearer Calais you get but always check your trailer when your across the water, even if you are hundreds of miles inland. We’ve even had them getting into our trailers at Tessenderlo on a few occasions and that is ofcourse right in the east of Belgium. The illegal immigrant aspect is the one thing that really scares me about going abroad, any driver who doesn’t posess crystal balls can fall foul of this despite their best efforts of checking.