Three Switch Position Automatic Analogue Tacho Questions

right, something that has been bugging me… and I do apoligise, but I have searched and can’t quite get what im looking for

the tachos in our vehicles have three switch positions;

1. square with a line through it (dunno what you would call it, POA?)
  2. crossed hammers (other work)
  3. bed (rest)

:arrow_right: if its an automatic tachograph, then when you move the switch to the square-with-a-line-through-it position, then it will automatically record the difference between drive and other work, is this correct?

other questions;
:arrow_right: do I ever need to use the crossed hammers switch position? if so, when? and most importantly why?

:arrow_right: does it record other work when the vehicle is stationary but with the engine running or is this recorded as drive? i.e. if the engine is running, is this always recorded as drive?

:arrow_right: if i get in after a break, start the engine and move off, then realise say 30 secs or so after, that i havent flicked the switch to drive, is this going to be recorded as an error by an analysis person, with an analogue tacho chart surely their cant be accuracy to more than a couple of mins?

:arrow_right: how do you remind yourself to stop forgetting about the switch :laughing: :unamused: , im guessing i’ll get used to it

thanks for any points, and as always your patience :slight_smile:

[edit] I was promised tachograph training at some point, but so far i’ve only managed to grab a quick brief about the common centre field mistakes and not a lot else. I’m sure it all seems elementary after a period of time using them, but it does annoy me how much my formal driving training cost, and how much they really needed to teach for general usefulness rather than just focusing on the test and nothing else. Its so backwards that after I passed my test, I spent an afternoon with a fleet driver training blokey, who was basically telling me the opposite of what I had been taught by driving instructors and DSA handbooks, tends to leave the newbies between a rock and a hard place I feel.

It doesn’t matter what position the switch is in, when the vehicles moves it will automatically record driving. Technically you should put it to the Other Work position (crossed hammers) before starting to drive but it isn’t the end of the world if you don’t.

The square is indeed POA.

You use the crossed hammers position for everything that isn’t driving, break/rest or POA. For example - loading, unloading, fuelling, vehicle checks, sorting paperwork etc. Why? Because it does exactly what it says it does, it records Other Work. :wink:

With the vehicle stationary and the engine running it will record whatever the mode switch was at before you stopped, which is why it is best to keep it on other work when driving as you are unlikely to go straight from drive to break/rest or POA. It will only start to record driving as soon as the wheels start to turn.

WildGoose:
:arrow_right: if i get in after a break, start the engine and move off, then realise say 30 secs or so after, that i havent flicked the switch to drive, is this going to be recorded as an error by an analysis person, with an analogue tacho chart surely their cant be accuracy to more than a couple of mins?

Further to Coffeholic’s reply:

• When the vehicle is moving, irrespective of the mode switch position, the tacho will record “driving”. That’s what it means by “automatic”. When the vehicle is stationary, the tacho records whatever the mode switch is set to.
  • Crossed hammers records “Other Work”.
  • Box records PoA.
  • Bed records rest or break.

When driving, you should have the tacho on crossed hammers. It doesn’t make any difference to what is recorded whilst you are moving, but it does make a difference whilst you are stopped (at traffic lights, in jams, etc.).

WildGoose:
:arrow_right: how do you remind yourself to stop forgetting about the switch :laughing: :unamused: , im guessing i’ll get used to it

When you find out, can you tell me? :blush: :wink:

Not wishing to be pedantic,but I believe the analogue tacho is described as “semi automatic”,in as much as whatever position the mode switch is in,when the vehicle moves,it is recorded as driving,which is as has been stated.
On the job I do,night trunking,I have not up to now had a POA,so I only use the break,(bed symbol)or other work,which includes driving,(crossed hammers).
When the card is checked,it can clearly be seen by the trace the diference between other work and driving.

how do you remind yourself to stop forgetting about the switch

As another member remarked,if you find a way,tell us all.I think there must be the ocassion when all of us at sometime have forgotten to change the switch for some reason.And don’t forget guys,this is an offence!OK so they’d better lock me up!

bestbooties:
Not wishing to be pedantic,but I believe the analogue tacho is described as “semi automatic”,in as much as whatever position the mode switch is in,when the vehicle moves,it is recorded as driving,which is as has been stated.
On the job I do,night trunking,I have not up to now had a POA,so I only use the break,(bed symbol)or other work,which includes driving,(crossed hammers).
When the card is checked,it can clearly be seen by the trace the diference between other work and driving.

how do you remind yourself to stop forgetting about the switch

As another member remarked,if you find a way,tell us all.I think there must be the ocassion when all of us at sometime have forgotten to change the switch for some reason.And don’t forget guys,this is an offence!OK so they’d better lock me up!

I’d go with that - also night trunking so no POA. Leave it on other work all the time except when you are taking a break. Put it to break at the start and back to other work when your break ends. It becomes automatic after a while. Mind you, I do still forget sometimes!

thanks for the points peeps!