Threatend with 3 points and fine

Hey All,

I just wanted to check something, today was delivering in Glasgow in a very busy city centre street the loading bay was full of parked cars circled round 3 or 4 times trying to get on the bay then ended up double parking. I ran into the shop came back out and saw cars had moved so put tail lift up to move into the bay just as the police turned up saying there had been a complaint about my parking I had only been there a few minutes explained I was moving to pull into the bay and that it had been blocked etc. and all I got was threatened with 3 points and a 100 quid fine for obstruction Can they legally do that for double parking. I do know that I should have double parked but the street was full of vans doing the same so I did it as a last resort

in short yes, why didn’t you just park behind or in front of the parked cars that were in the loading space.

steelviper:
Hey All,

I just wanted to check something, today was delivering in Glasgow in a very busy city centre street the loading bay was full of parked cars circled round 3 or 4 times trying to get on the bay then ended up double parking. I ran into the shop came back out and saw cars had moved so put tail lift up to move into the bay just as the police turned up saying there had been a complaint about my parking I had only been there a few minutes explained I was moving to pull into the bay and that it had been blocked etc. and all I got was threatened with 3 points and a 100 quid fine for obstruction Can they legally do that for double parking. I do know that I should have double parked but the street was full of vans doing the same so I did it as a last resort

tell them FOXTROT OSCAR :grimacing:

there wasn’t any space to do that the whole road was bumper to bumper with parked cars didn’t think it would be an issue as was only there a few mins and the whole street had vehicles double parked doing the same thing think it was just my unlucky day as other drivers have done it in that location and never had any issues

You only got threatened with a fine and points, you didn’t actually get them so no drama. Glasgow Police are in the main knobs. It’s why Police Scotland was invented so the Weegie Polis could be sent out to other, normal thinking, forces and spread their knobbishness. :smiley:

tell them FOXTROT OSCAR

Listen to this fool and you will instantly fail the attitude test., yes you are legally in the wrong, but with the right attitude and explaination you would probably be given a lot of leeway. most coppers will listen and hear what you say, and even try to help, fail the attitude test and they have the law on their side

Fatboy slimslow:
tell them FOXTROT OSCAR :grimacing:

Great advice, and I’m sure you’d follow your own? Yeah right, you’d be stood there nervously ringing your flatcap giving it the puppy dog eyes with lots and lots of “Yes Sir- Sorry - No Sir”

Disassociated “hard manism” at its finest :unamused:

Basically yes they can. It’s also doubtful that someone complained as they are not usually that fast arriving at the scene of a crime :smiley: . Traffic police are usually the worst. I got a £60 fine for parking with wheels on the kerb in Prestwick.
Same as you , doing a delivery and no space anywhere. Main road through Prestwick is narrow so not wanting to cause an obstruction I put drivers side wheels up on the kerb. I was less than 5 minutes in the shop, came out and traffic police parked behind me.
Gave me a ticket for parking an HGV on the kerb. I stayed polite, explained where I had been but they were not interested. I said can you not just give me a warning but no use?
Our company pays 2 fines every 6 months for the drivers so its not too bad, anything over that and its yours to pay.
We have 3 trucks in Edinburgh and 3 in Glasgow daily doing deliveries and tbh the amount of fines we get in relation to illegal parking is nothing. Unless you get a total asp we get away with a lot.

I’m pretty sure it’s the same in Scotland, but in England & Wales there is no endorsement/penalty points for an offence of causing unnecessary obstruction. The fixed penalty is only 50 quid, too.

Probably one of the drivers who parked in the loading bays complained about you. :frowning:

Fine yes but points for dodgy parking. That’s a new one. Be just some mini Hitler copper throwing his / her weight about.

Marcelleke:
It’s also doubtful that someone complained as they are not usually that fast arriving at the scene of a crime

That’s what I thought. I used to drive buses in Glasgow and a P-ed up chav was kicking windows and shouting abuse at everyone. I pulled over and told him to get off. I then became the subject of his attention and he started kicking and head butting the security screen. I radioed for the police to come. I sat there as he kicked,spat,head butted and punched the screen as well as trying to open the cab door.I was STILL waiting 20 minutes later when he gave up and wandered off.I sat for another 10 and still no police. This was 8yrs ago and I’d probably still be waiting now
So to say they have had a report about a vehicle causing an obstruction and were there within a few minutes sounds a bit fishy to me. Its one of two things
1 - They wanted to deflect any potential argument from you against them by inventing a phone call or
2 - They have basically provided cast iron proof that the police are more focused on dealing with driving misdemenours than criminal activity

I thought you could double park to unload? I used to do it a lot (not in London obviously) but quite often in tourist towns. I blocked in a BMW in Lytham St Annes one day, traffic warden came over and told me to take my time and make the driver wait.
Honiton’s another place where blue badge holders park in the loading bay even when the disabled bay is empty. Blocked an ignorant old bat in there once, PCSO/traffic warden or whatever told me I was right and she was abusing her blue badge. Oh sorry that sounded rude. :blush: :laughing:

The-Snowman:

Marcelleke:
It’s also doubtful that someone complained as they are not usually that fast arriving at the scene of a crime

I then became the subject of his attention and he started kicking and head butting the security screen.

Since when did a service bus require the driver to be protected behind a screen…i give up, this country is lost and all hope with it.

Juddian:

The-Snowman:

Marcelleke:

I then became the subject of his attention and he started kicking and head butting the security screen.

Since when did a service bus require the driver to be protected behind a screen…i give up, this country is lost and all hope with it.

99% of stagecoach buses in Hull have security screens, having said that NONE of the EYMS buses do

That’s a damning indictment of modern Britain and imo a Godawful way to make an honest living if you need to be protected from your cargo.

The only “complaint” made was most likely from the ■■■■ watching the city CCTV.

Juddian, where have you been for the past 30 years, security screens were built into all London buses when they went OMO, thats one man operation, as against driver/conductor, and i am sure most of the buses were also fitted with security screens around the country, with some exceptions national express for example, but they are coaches and not buses.

truckyboy:
Juddian, where have you been for the past 30 years, security screens were built into all London buses when they went OMO, thats one man operation, as against driver/conductor, and i am sure most of the buses were also fitted with security screens around the country, with some exceptions national express for example, but they are coaches and not buses.

Well the last time i went on a service bus (one short trip, Wolverhampton) was in roughly 1990 when i had to go trade plating for a while, last time previous to that must have been early 70’s.

From the sounds of it i haven’t missed much.

Stagecoach up here are the same, although I assume these days the screens will be built in at factory no matter where the bus is going.

I guess it’s less hassle to have the screens and not need them, then not have them and regret it