Thousands of trucks off the A14

This doesn’t bode well for Felixstowe hauliers, good ol Europe! :unamused:

eadt.co.uk/news/ipswich_euro … _1_2276910

We’ve had some haulage work as a result of this moving plant in and out of the site.

Realistically it’s not going to take thousands of extra trucks off the road, the capacity of the line out of Felixstowe is not great enough for huge volumes of freight. I’m sure they could run the turnarounds more effieciently if they tried but it’s easier to use some EU money to alter the infrastructure.

This, on its own, will not make much difference. Alot freight trains go this way anyway.
All this junction will do is give the freight trains a DIRECT route North instead of reversing at Ipswich. saves a loco or two and saves blocking up Ipswich station.
As 8wheels says the biggest constraint is the line to Felixstowe itself (single track)

They pull into a yard just short of the station and run the loco around the train to reverse. I’m sure if they wanted to increase capacity they could have a fresh loco at the northern end in a siding ready to couple on the back as soon as the train arrived. The front loco would also uncouple and then proceed to take up station at the north end ready for the next. Probably not enough demand to have a loco standing around and crews to deal with it all.

I always wonder about when they talk about putting more and more containers on trains, isnt there a backlog of containers meaning those that go on trains just get replaced by more coming out of the port.

£11 million for 1,400 yards.

Jeez. I’m in the wrong game.

Ken.

Quinny:

Ken.

No, £41 million, £11 million is europes contribution

This is just smoke and mirrors, as has allready been suggested.

Anti lorry sells well, and there’s a pro europe agenda that doesnt sell well. Drip feed an ignorant public pro europe stories in the belief that it will alter how europr is perceived in this country. What the rail freight lobby groups wont tell the ignorant public is that every single containers has to be subsidised on the rail, to even bring its per mile costs, anywhere near road freight.

Still it give a warm feeling to believe that these horrible lorries will soon be taken from the road, and leave it free for the daily commute. :unamused:

eddie snax:
This is just smoke and mirrors, as has allready been suggested.

Anti lorry sells well, and there’s a pro europe agenda that doesnt sell well. Drip feed an ignorant public pro europe stories in the belief that it will alter how europr is perceived in this country. What the rail freight lobby groups wont tell the ignorant public is that every single containers has to be subsidised on the rail, to even bring its per mile costs, anywhere near road freight.

Still it give a warm feeling to believe that these horrible lorries will soon be taken from the road, and leave it free for the daily commute. :unamused:

Well said.

jkl508:

The destinations of those trains only have the capacity to service 1 a day, so this exercise to save a bit of shunting is a total waste of money!

Quinny:

Ken.

That’s nowt. My day job now is in public transport (unfortunately), and we had some dealings with network rail a couple of years back. You can’t ■■■■ near a railway without paying huge sums to NR for track access etc. The industry and its contractors/consultants have grasped this concept and run with it. If I install a shelter or an electronic display at a bus stop it’ll cost £x, install the same thing in a rail station and you can add at least one zero on the end. It seems to be a licence to print money.

weeto:

jkl508:

The destinations of those trains only have the capacity to service 1 a day, so this exercise to save a bit of shunting is a total waste of money!

trafford euro terminal maybe its closing bye the way and moving near to salford reds stadium to increase capacity Manchester freight liner terminal is only restricted by all trains having to travel through Oxford road meaning only two paths an hour but that will change

weeto:

jkl508:

That might be the case, but is some off that down too the traffic coming out the port, if the traffic from the port can be increased, then I’m sure most of these terminals would be able to increase a bit aswell.