Thoughts please...

Hello everyone

Been offered a Class 2 driving job for a general haulage company in my neck of the woods.Also have been offered my Class 1 training through this company at their expense if everything goes well in the first 6 months of employment.
I currently drive for a foodservice provider which if i’m honest is not where i want to be long term.The money’s decent and i get home every night but on the other hand the handballs hard going and the customers can be ■■■■■■
I already know that Class 1 is the road i want to go down and i personally have my training booked in for December but the question i have is this…

Do you think it would be misguided to leave my current job where i’m home every night and that pays decent money for a job where i’m going to have nights out and have to work a few more hours to get the wage i was getting,all for getting my Class 1 licence and being able to get Class 1 work/experience straight away?

If it was me I would leave bit do CE my self but then I have nowt to keep my home at night so doing night out don’t matter to me this depends on your home life you may not have the money but be better off i.e. health as very little handball ( yep you sometimes get it ) & as you said you do want to go down the CE route but if you go in with it al ready then if the occasion arises you can easily jump into it

No, it’ s better - safer - more beneficial to do it by yourself, not buying into this company offer.

For example Knights Of Old offer Class 1 training for free after 6 month with them on Class 2 Multi-Drop - General Haulage 20 drops 5 collections 14h days up to 1000kg pallets by pumptruck and tail lift and some guys who work there I still see on road doing Class 2 after a year - they promise, but delay by various reasons and job they ask you to do untill training is usually tougher than other jobs you can find and do while saving for licence + even if they will pay for it you will have to sign something - some next year or so encarceration or pay up…

It’s the nights away from home that are stalling me from taking this opportunity.I’d much rather be in bed with the Mrs than sleep in a truck.
That being said the company that is offering me this opportunity have a contract with a well known German cut price supermarket that offers 4 on 4 off day and night work.So if i did get my Class 1 through them then that work would be available.

Hi mate, I agree with kyk… Additional to possible delays in the training, you will probably find that you will be tied into the company for 2 years, or have to pay them back for the training. I’d much rather pay for it myself and be free from any ties! :smiley:

Best of luck on what you decide…

Evil8Beezle:
Hi mate, I agree with kyk… Additional to possible delays in the training, you will probably find that you will be tied into the company for 2 years, or have to pay them back for the training. I’d much rather pay for it myself and be free from any ties! :smiley:

Best of luck on what you decide…

Thoroughly agree. You’ll have little to no control over your earning potential as you’ll be governed by what they tell you you’re getting and hours etc as they always have the get out of knowing you have that training to pay for should you want to leave them

Thanks for the replies [emoji3]

Yeah i believe i would be tied into this company for 2 years if i took up the chance with them.Looks like it’s one of them too good too be true opportunities.

BeakFreak81:
It’s the nights away from home that are stalling me from taking this opportunity.I’d much rather be in bed with the Mrs than sleep in a truck.
That being said the company that is offering me this opportunity have a contract with a well known German cut price supermarket that offers 4 on 4 off day and night work.So if i did get my Class 1 through them then that work would be available.

That means they hook you up to long term contract to do Class 1 in some of the tightest places with self tipping.

At this time - year/market situation - it is easy to find easier job then what they offer to you viw this scheme…

They want you to do hardish MultiDropish job just to give you a chance of doing Class 1 that many would not want to do, maybe not physically as hard as first half of slavery on Class 2 but still hardisher than average of options available in market currently even for new driver.

for example some say its hardish to get job as new driver - I’m new driver and got easieish tipper work when i was looking for it even though I didnt have much experience - so if you search at current situation its not as hard as you think to find not the worst option… maybe years ago you had to start from very ■■■■■■ jobs as new driver but now i see from my experience that its not that hard to get into more or less decent work avoiding that deep hard part of being new driver…

but it might as well depend on location and personal situation in life… flexibility luck etc…

Again along what kyk is saying. Pay for your own class 1, and then pick a firm (of your choosing) who has class 1 & 2 vehicles. That way you start with them on class 2, and the second they are stuck for class 1 drivers, you will be looking at you… :smiley:

You could also get a bit of reversing practice in the yard shunting! :wink:

Each to there own, but I don’t get why so many people are against companies putting you through your C + E.

I’m doing mine with company I currently work for after Christmas, to be honest there’s not a lot that puts me off, there are 3 other drivers that have had it done for them and been there years and not said any bad words.

Near enough everywhere we deliver to I already go in my 18 tonner. So I’m used to most places, a lot of the artic work is tanks too so no agro of multi drops. Basically load up, tip, get tank washed then back home.

I already do the odd night out as well so that’s no issue.

As I’ve already said I guess it’s each to there own and what the firm is like to work for.

Tied in for 2 years :open_mouth: even marriage is easier to walk away from in the first 2 years

nick2008:
Tied in for 2 years :open_mouth: even marriage is easier to walk away from in the first 2 years

HaHa i disagree…my short lived marriage ended up costing me a fortune [emoji57]