This takes me back......

To when i started out in this game. I passed my test in ‘95 and my first proper gig was with a firm that mostly ran scania. Almost forgot just how basic trucks were back then but they kept plodding on with no break downs due to over complicated electronics etc.
youtu.be/_ySJzRrj3Vg

Nice one. I’d rather be driving that now more than the boring modern rubbish and the idiotic auto boxes.

The workshop lads at my place buy the older (this age) trucks and do them up for shows. They’ve just bought one of these and it looks mint to start with.

It was…

Adequate for the time. I liked the trailer brake option you could really control things with it. LIke others, I used the hand throttle as a crude form of cruise control. They were comfy to live in if you had the twin bunk arrangement. All your kit went on the top bunk and the bottom bunk was just for kipping and putting your maps on. The later models came with a proper cruise control and A/C.

But yeh, I lost a battery cover somewhere in Belgium. I reckon for a time it was Scania’s best selling spare part.

So they were basic in '95 eh. You young whippersnapper you. :slight_smile:

I used to wrap my duster around the gearstick to keep the noise at bay. The main beam used to stick on, the indicator stalk was the problem so that was a regular replacement.

I liked the 112/113 range, had six different ones of them over the years, from a C reg 112 up to an F reg. I found them extremely capable and reliable, especially doing 43 trips to Italy a year in one, I, or my stablemates, never suffered a single breakdown.

Twoninety88:
I liked the 112/113 range, had six different ones of them over the years, from a C reg 112 up to an F reg. I found them extremely capable and reliable, especially doing 43 trips to Italy a year in one, I, or my stablemates, never suffered a single breakdown.

Damm right!!!

I drove a 112 on E reg for a couple of years and always got home.
My brother, a couple of years later bought its fleet sister and between us put stupid milage on it from which never missed a beat.

Don’t make em like they used to…

The company I worked for had P series 92-93 models, but the curtains are the same and switch gear, I liked the idea of the trailer brake just making sure they worked before setting off.
Even worse I that we also had Volvo f7 and fl7 pulling 38 Ton.

Now i drive coaches from this era, coaching is so far behind compared to you guys.

Superb trucks , the 3 series was very good to drive , nice driving position and only breakdowns were flat batteries and a fractured fuel pipe .
I would happily drive one today …I’m not joking either.
What a truck !.

peterm:
So they were basic in '95 eh. You young whippersnapper you. :slight_smile:

In 1995 I was driving a c series ERF with a day cab on general Haulage, doing 2-3 nights out a week in my owner driver days. Now that was basic and I used to dream owning a FL10 with a bed :grimacing: :blush:

I bet a good chunk of the drivers on the road today have never seen these before!
2.18 in the video

I was only on about taps on the suzies the other day. I still can’t think of a good reason why they disappeared. If you rip a red airline off these days you’re stranded where it happened whereas with a tap to cut supply at least you can move the unit at least.

I was going to buy that K reg 143 that was on eBay recently , but the Mrs said if I buy it she’s buying a Porsche 911 for weekends :open_mouth: ,

Punchy Dan:
I was going to buy that K reg 143 that was on eBay recently , but the Mrs said if I buy it she’s buying a Porsche 911 for weekends :open_mouth: ,

^^^^^^^^^^^
there could be a lhd one coming on the market soon? :confused:

nomiS36:
I was only on about taps on the suzies the other day. I still can’t think of a good reason why they disappeared. If you rip a red airline off these days you’re stranded where it happened whereas with a tap to cut supply at least you can move the unit at least.

Yep, they were good, until like me you hooked up to a loaded trailer and forgot to turn the bloody taps on. Luckily I only went a couple of hundred yards before think, christ this is taking some stopping. :blush:

Driver said to me years ago his brakes were poor, Scania 113 and a Feldbinder belly tanker, so I took it for a spin and yes they were poor as we shot by our turn off, the yellow tap wasnt turned on! He had driven from Derby to Paddock wood like that.