This 'quiet' spell

Last time (80’s-90’s) the same was happening with lenders, throwing money at people, house prices shot up…borrow borrow borrow…it got so out of hand that the BOE had to shoot the IR’s up to get it back, thus hitting people with huge repayments…But this time its not as dramatic, they are in control. Yes IR’s will go up but as much!

fingers crossed

Koop:

repton:
I think it is what is technically known as a recession.

Jeez…talk about doom and gloom, it will pick up you watch, only last week on the radio analysts reckon house prices will be up 25% in 5 years.

Dream on, house prices have been overvalued by 40 % for year, all we are seeing is a correction in prices to thier true value.

My advice to anyone looking for class 1 work is to move close to a supermarket distribution centre, if my phone rings one more time with offers of work in tesco’s i’m changing my phone, (my nearest tesco’s rdc is 55 miles away) :exclamation:

Economic slowdown■■? Tried to book a late deal holiday yesterday in Peterborough ( No, not to P’boro) we couldn’t get anywhere every where is fully booked up :open_mouth: :open_mouth: …well to the places we wanted to go to, Egypt, florida, India, so we booked for next year instead we are going to Mexico… :laughing: :laughing: Only 53 weeks to go…

Koop:
Last time (80’s-90’s) the same was happening with lenders, throwing money at people, house prices shot up…borrow borrow borrow…it got so out of hand that the BOE had to shoot the IR’s up to get it back, thus hitting people with huge repayments…But this time its not as dramatic, they are in control. Yes IR’s will go up but as much!

fingers crossed

You say that they are in control however, it is highly likely that interest rates should be and have been considerably higher than what they are and have been. They are too clever. They have an inflation target based on what they call the consumer price index. Of course, the government decide what goes into this index. Guess what? House prices weren’t. A member of the BOE recently said that House Prices should be included. How convenient now that they are falling. I can’t remember what their stated inflation rate is…around 3% whereas their target I think is 2%. I am so glad that the cost of living is only going up by such a small amount. :laughing: But there is a saying…You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time. …

tonysplodge:

Koop:

repton:
I think it is what is technically known as a recession.

Jeez…talk about doom and gloom, it will pick up you watch, only last week on the radio analysts reckon house prices will be up 25% in 5 years.

Dream on, house prices have been overvalued by 40 % for year, all we are seeing is a correction in prices to thier true value.

Dont shoot the messenger pal! I know, you (apparently) know, I’m just saying what the so called experts reckon.

Took a learner out Sat and did dual c work. A38 Lichfield I seen in the 20 minute session 7 tesco trucks all mercs and all doing 50. I know that Tesco have a rdc hear Lichfield. The only thing that was more common was caravans in which 15 were counted. All this in about 10 miles of dc work. jumping on and off and back round again on the same stretch.

A good opportunity for the learner to understand that supermarket trucks are usually slower than normal artics. Most of which a normal learner trainer would not know.

The caravans were of course driven by people who had no idea about the art of dc driving , the speed limit and the consequences of getting ot wrong

Do tesco drivers have to wear a hi viz vest when driving?

chippy:
Do tesco drivers have to wear a hi viz vest when driving?

nope. the only time you need one is at the RDC. even the shops dont make you wear one.

work was even slower at the beginning of this year than normal but now im turning work down. im only doing 5 nights a week.

Ader1:
I think…although I am not an economist, that we are entering a period at least as bad as the 80’s early 90’s.

Don’t agree. The recession of the early 90’s was one we slipped into slowly, and recovered from slowly. It encompassed everything and almost everyone.

This one is going to be the short sharp shock treatment, selective in the areas it attacks, and maybe a great help to some with money to spend.

It’s been interesting listening to the amount of people talking this country into a recession - and now they’ve got what they wanted, moaning and whinging that it’s here.

Stan

July is usually holiday time in UK
August is usually hols in “Europe”

so it will be quieter than normal

Quiet for everybody as quite a lot of the factorys and buisnesses go on shutdown at this time of the year

Agree with the above tho we arnt into a recession yet just a financial blip but im sure things will pick up

Deepinvet:
Economic slowdown■■? Tried to book a late deal holiday yesterday in Peterborough ( No, not to P’boro) we couldn’t get anywhere every where is fully booked up :open_mouth: :open_mouth: …well to the places we wanted to go to, Egypt, florida, India, so we booked for next year instead we are going to Mexico… :laughing: :laughing: Only 53 weeks to go…

Just booked 3 months in OZ leaving on Nov 26th going on one of those new :exclamation: a380’s :smiley: and i coundn’t give a toss if i work up intil then or not

Deepinvet:

Just a theory on the holiday front.

Yes work’s slowing down, yes you can feel the pinch, no you’re not sure what the future holds, but hey, the holiday’s booked and paid for, let’s go and have a bloody good holiday and see what happens when we get back. :question:

Just a thought.

Stan

Stanley Knife:

Ader1:
I think…although I am not an economist, that we are entering a period at least as bad as the 80’s early 90’s.

Don’t agree. The recession of the early 90’s was one we slipped into slowly, and recovered from slowly. It encompassed everything and almost everyone.

This one is going to be the short sharp shock treatment, selective in the areas it attacks, and maybe a great help to some with money to spend.

It’s been interesting listening to the amount of people talking this country into a recession

Stan

You must be a Labour party member or something…it’s just the kind of drivel they are coming up with.

As I said more or less said before…we have an economy which is largely based on consumption. When you have house prices falling…making people spend less because the feel poorer and people not being able to re-mortgage etc then you will see that the slow-down won’t be as selective as you claim. In the past, when housing bubbles have burst…they havn’t done so in months, but over a few years. I believe 3-5 is around average. Anyway, we will find out…[/b]

Ader1:
You must be a Labour party member or something…it’s just the kind of drivel they are coming up with.

No I’m not a Labour party member - never have been, never will be. In fact at present there isn’t a political party worth my vote.

And at present the government don’t accept that we’re in a recession, so don’t get their drivel mixed up with my comments.

Stan

doesnt help with all these east european drivers and other workers ,was talking to a warehouse manager who told me he interviewed some easternersoffered them 6pound an hour all hours no overtime rate same for weekend work,they took it!!! so what chance do we stand? its what the bosses want they dont care about giving us brits jobs as long as it gets done and as cheap as possible.there is a slow down in work but cheap labour doesnt help.i am not a big fan of uniuns as i just remember when they were to big for their boots but its gone to far the other way,toothless tigers now unless you work for public services…and drivers dont stick together,to busy trying to out do each other.

We have been very quiet for the last 3 weeks.

Into August now, should be busy with September registrations and been parked in Snodland for the last 6 hours waiting for a job. 4 trucks parked up in Bristol too. :cry:

Stanley Knife:

Deepinvet:

Just a theory on the holiday front.

Yes work’s slowing down, yes you can feel the pinch, no you’re not sure what the future holds, but hey, the holiday’s booked and paid for, let’s go and have a bloody good holiday and see what happens when we get back. :question:

Just a thought.

Stan

If I was playing devils advocate, I would be tempted to ask you what you are saving up for? You’re a long time dead :wink:

Sorry if it’s already been said, but I couldn’t read anymore without reaching for a rope or a whiskey bottle. In my, quite a few years in haulage, it has always gone quiet in the middle of July, often until well into September. It’s all to do with Holidays and Factory shut downs etc. I know things aren’t good at the moment, but to use this moment in time as a barometer for the way that the job’s going is being a bit pessimistic. In my opinion

Quiet here it is not. Yeesssssss. :wink:

with help from yodaspeak.co.uk/index.php