This old chestnut!

I have always believd you can work up to 15hrs in a day,but a few other drivers are asking me why when the rules say :

Daily duty
In any working day the maximum amount of duty permitted is 11 hours. confused .com■■?

That is from UK Domestic Rules, not the EU Regulations which most of us drive under.

EU Regs - maximum working time/spreadover 15 hours in 24 hours, when a reduced daily rest is available.

Domestic rules - 11 hours duty in 24 hours.

yeah, for bin lorries etc? i knew i wasnt breaking the laws,they have misread!!!

I start at 07:30 Mon to Fri I finish at 17:00 (47 minutes for dinner break every day) but I need to finish at 16:00 one night a week to keep my hours down :grimacing: .

I done 200k one day last week thought I was going to get pulled by VOSE :unamused: .

I can ONLY do 8-12 every second Saturday I cant do every Saturday as it would take me over my hours lol.

Dont you love bosses who havent got a clue

Coffeeholic:

and that the word duty on domestic you can be at work for 23.59 hours but as long as you do not work more than 11 hours in that 24 your ok and if you drive less that 4 hours there no duty limit

Yes Del, the duty time is made up of periods of driving and work but does not include breaks or rest. you have to drive for less than 4 hours on each day of the week to be exempt from the duty limit, it also doesn’t apply on days when no driving is done.

jammymutt:
I done 200k one day last week thought I was going to get pulled by VOSE :unamused: .

Dont you love bosses who havent got a clue

200k? was that a half day then?? :laughing:

Coffeeholic:
That is from UK Domestic Rules, not the EU Regulations which most of us drive under.

EU Regs - maximum working time/spreadover 15 hours in 24 hours, when a reduced daily rest is available.

i learnt last week that if you drive a van for work as well as driving a truck in the same day you automatically loose the 15 hour day and can only do 11 hours duty :exclamation: :exclamation: never knew that.

i can see someone now saying that aint true…who told you hat blah blah :wink: :wink:

Cruise Control:
i learnt last week that if you drive a van for work as well as driving a truck in the same day you automatically loose the 15 hour day and can only do 11 hours duty

I think that if you are under EU regs then the EU regs take preference over domestic regs and not the other way around

Cruise Control:
i learnt last week that if you drive a van for work as well as driving a truck in the same day you automatically loose the 15 hour day and can only do 11 hours duty :exclamation: :exclamation: never knew that.

i can see someone now saying that aint true…who told you hat blah blah :wink: :wink:

Depends on the size of the van and weather or not it falls within the domestic rules I suppose :wink:

I’m not too sure about this, but the way I see it is that when driving under domestic rules if you claim exemption from the EU regs breaks/rest general tacho requirements ec’t then you would be expected to abide by the daily duty limit of 11 hours (domestic rules) even if you drive at some point in the day under EU regulations.

Page 27 - GV260
:
GB domestic limit (i.e. no more than 11 hours on duty) must always be obeyed. But when working under EU rules you must also obey all the rules on breaks, daily rest (only on those days when actually driving) and weekly rest.

However if you abide by the break/rest requirements of the EU regulations when driving the van then I can’t see why you would be limited to 11 hours duty time as long as any work done out of scope of the EU regulations was recorded as other work.

tachograph:

Cruise Control:

Depends on the size of the van and weather or not it falls within the domestic rules I suppose :wink:

I’m not too sure about this, but the way I see it is that when driving under domestic rules if you claim exemption from the EU regs breaks/rest general tacho requirements ec’t then you would be expected to abide by the daily duty limit of 11 hours (domestic rules) even if you drive at some point in the day under EU regulations.

Page 27 - GV260
:
GB domestic limit (i.e. no more than 11 hours on duty) must always be obeyed. But when working under EU rules you must also obey all the rules on breaks, daily rest (only on those days when actually driving) and weekly rest.

However if you abide by the break/rest requirements of the EU regulations when driving the van then I can’t see why you would be limited to 11 hours duty time as long as any work done out of scope of the EU regulations was recorded as other work.

The reason I learnt this is I was giving my dad a lift into town (he works in diff town and parked at mine to save on parking) who’s the TM for a haulage firm and the conference he was attending was about red routes and hauliers responsibilities on road safety etc etc something organized by VOSA/police and as we went into the town got stuck in slow moving traffic and we spent the whole trip discussing/talking about EU drivers regulations…as you do. And that’s when he mentioned about driving a van and truck in the same day. He also mentioned a few other things about how many days you can work if your week is like f-m but I forget the rest.

He came out of the conference and said it’s surprising really with the amount of legislation they have to comply with (hauliers) that people can actually make it work and make money at the same time.