This must be wrong

I spotted this the other day on my travels, and thought it was a bit odd

Basically its got a FULL load on the top deck and nothing on the lower surely this isnt going to be very safe with it been so top heavy?? :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

And he wasnt hanging about in it either :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Maybe he was hoping for a mention on Sally Traffic where she tells you that the A?? is blocked because a car transporter has gone over. :wink: :smiley: :smiley:

Dunno, but itā€™s a good ā€œwhere the [zb] am I?ā€ donā€™t you think?

Iā€™m not sure, but is it the M1 just before Leicester Forest northbound?

Rob K:
Dunno, but itā€™s a good ā€œwhere the [zb] am I?ā€ donā€™t you think?

Iā€™m not sure, but is it the M1 just before Leicester Forest northbound?

Would be if i could remember myself :unamused: :unamused: :blush: :blush: :blush:

well itā€™s not ideal is it. Basically heā€™s droppd the bottom ones and is too lazy to lower the top deck down.

Daft really because itā€™ll be the first job at the next drop. Itā€™s not an uncommon sight though.

I saw a similar one a while ago with 3 transit size vans up in the air with nothing on the lower deck, like someone says i bet its just sheer laziness.

Well, on the grounds that ā€œOnly a fool breaks the two second ruleā€, I reckon heā€™s a double-fool.

Not only is it daft, but it is also dangerous to everyone on the road. Q. Who is it that suffers if heven forbid he had turned turtle? A. Other road users and the family of anyone who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Minimum would have been a lot of mess and delays.

Rant over.

Also uses more fuel with them up there too :wink:

To be honest, he ainā€™t doing nothing wrong.

I done 5 years on transporters & if you only had 4 or 5 to load & where you were going had no height restrictions that is the way to to go. With the cars up there, thereā€™s less chance of damage from things thrown up off the road.

A car transporter is very heavy. All the weight is in the chassis, the decks are alloy & the cars are very light. He could take a sharp bend just as easily as any other part loaded trailer. The centre of gravity is still very low.

Unless the cars are reversed on they are very aero-dynamic so it wonā€™t use much more fuel. Even if it did use a gallon or two more, thereā€™s so much money made out of moving cars no one would notice.

Itā€™s also easier to load the top deck because itā€™s much wider than the bottom deck. Less chance of doing damage & easier to get out of the cars. You can also strap the cars from underneath which is easier than strapping when theyā€™re low down.

Something else you may not of considered is that he may of had hydraulic problems & the deck may be stuck up there.

Thereā€™s at least half a dozen reasons for him to travel that way.

Lifeā€™s a Gas:

He is driving at over 50mph, less than 15 feet behind the vehicle in front.

Lifeā€™s a Gas:

I done 5 years on transporters & if you only had 4 or 5 to load & where you were going had no height restrictions that is the way to to go. With the cars up there, thereā€™s less chance of damage from things thrown up off the road.

A car transporter is very heavy. All the weight is in the chassis, the decks are alloy & the cars are very light. He could take a sharp bend just as easily as any other part loaded trailer. The centre of gravity is still very low.

Unless the cars are reversed on they are very aero-dynamic so it wonā€™t use much more fuel. Even if it did use a gallon or two more, thereā€™s so much money made out of moving cars no one would notice.

Itā€™s also easier to load the top deck because itā€™s much wider than the bottom deck. Less chance of doing damage & easier to get out of the cars. You can also strap the cars from underneath which is easier than strapping when theyā€™re low down.

Something else you may not of considered is that he may of had hydraulic problems & the deck may be stuck up there.

Thereā€™s at least half a dozen reasons for him to travel that way.

Nice one, Didnt know myself thats why i asked the question as i have seen a few around like this and just thought it ā€œlookedā€ unsafe :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

It might not be ā€˜unsafeā€™ but would certainly be ā€˜betterā€™ to have them lowered.

Iā€™m pretty sure it actually says something about it in the DSAā€™s Driving LGVā€™s book, cant be bothered to look though.

Harry Monk:

Lifeā€™s a Gas:

He is driving at over 50mph, less than 15 feet behind the vehicle in front.

How do you know the curtain sider in front isnā€™t going 10 mph faster & just been flashed in? You donā€™t.

That was beside the point anyway. The main topic of the thread was the way the vechicle was loaded & I gave you many reasons why it was loaded correctly & was perfectaly safe.

Unless youā€™ve been trained on & experienced car transporters itā€™s best not to assume anything as many people in this thead already have.

Lifeā€™s a Gas:
How do you know the curtain sider in front isnā€™t going 10 mph faster & just been flashed in? You donā€™t.

I can see that he is about a car length behind the vehicle in front.

I made the assumption- since he is in lane 2 of a motorway- that he was travelling at around 50mph.

That is NOT a safe distance to keep.

Donā€™t defend a dangerous driver just because he drives the same class of vehicle that you do.

dennisw1:
It might not be ā€˜unsafeā€™ but would certainly be ā€˜betterā€™ to have them lowered.

The peak deck (the one above the cab) & the second stage (the one behind it) are as low as they will go. That means there is little point in lowering the main deck behind it.

Harry Monk:

Lifeā€™s a Gas:

I can see that he is about a car length behind the vehicle in front.

I made the assumption- since he is in lane 2 of a motorway- that he was travelling at around 50mph.

That is NOT a safe distance to keep.

Donā€™t defend a dangerous driver just because he drives the same class of vehicle that you do.

Keep up mate. If you read what I wrote I said that I done 5 years on them, as in packed it in 6 years ago.

As you said, you are making assumptions about the picture. Iā€™ve been in lane 2 many times & been stuck at less than 10 mph as we all have. A car length is safe then. Why not assume the traffic is only just moving.

Iā€™m not defending anyone here but I ainā€™t going to slaughter the bloke either because apart from whoever took the photo, none of us were there.

Lifeā€™s a Gas:
Why not assume the traffic is only just moving.

All right then.

Harry Monk:

Lifeā€™s a Gas:
Why not assume the traffic is only just moving.

All right then.

But you still donā€™t have all the facts. You are still making assumptions.

If that was youā€™re evidence of a dangerous driving in a court of law it would count for nothing.

Whose to say there isnā€™t a police car doing a rolling road block in front of the curtain sider.?
Whose to say there not only moving at 20 mph?
Whose to say heā€™s not just been overtaken & is in the process of backing off?

I agree that if they are doing more than 50mph then itā€™s not to safe to do what the transporter driver is doing. Iā€™m not defending his driving, only the way his vechicle is loaded, as I mentioned earlier.