This man is a fucking idiot. Discuss!

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … -cope.html

44 Tonne Ton:
Motorways to get 80mph speed limit despite claims they are 'not safe enough' to cope | Daily Mail Online

Backmarkers drive too close and too fast anyway, another 10mph would only cause more death and misery, variable speed limits and a bigger police presence in un-marked cars would cut fatalities, and also much more investment is required in our road network at a time when the government needs to get the economy moving again.

Another thread about cars going fast on a truck forum. Have you tried that sort of thing on a car forum? Because the only trucks it’ll affect don’t care about speed limits anyway!

I feel anyone who wishes to see an increase in speeds on motorways is a ■■■■■.
Drivers have difficulty driving to the prevailing conditions as it is, with lot`s of aquaplaning in the recent wet weather, so it will become more dangerous…Couple that with poor education, low skill levels and a general ignorance and lack of consideration of and to other road users and we have a recipe for death.

I hope I am wrong, but recent experience tells me otherwise.

In a car on motorways, most people go slightly over the limits because they think there is some leeway.
So where do you draw the line? Slightly over 80mph = nearly 90mph.

att:
Drivers have difficulty driving to the prevailing conditions as it is, with lot`s of aquaplaning in the recent wet weather, so it will become more dangerous…Couple that with poor education, low skill levels and a general ignorance and lack of consideration of and to other road users and we have a recipe for death.

Oh, yeah, that’s why Germans die bu hundreds every day in their speedlimitless autobahns :slight_smile:

Btw: recently they rised speed limit on motorway in Poland from 130 km/h to 140 km/h (about year ago or something). There were the same arguments, the same discussion and no increase in accident was observed.

orys:

att:

Oh, yeah, that’s why Germans die bu hundreds every day in their speedlimitless autobahns :slight_smile:

Btw: recently they rised speed limit on motorway in Poland from 130 km/h to 140 km/h (about year ago or something). There were the same arguments, the same discussion and no increase in accident was observed.

Horace, why do you try to derail every thread by bringing up the subject of life in other countries, no one is forcing you stay here,PLEASE RETURN TO POLAND if you wish and let us brits get on with life without you. Thankyou

bigvern1:
In a car on motorways, most people go slightly over the limits because they think there is some leeway.
So where do you draw the line? Slightly over 80mph = nearly 90mph.

Totally agree with ^^ However,to answer Orys–German drivers are well educated towards the fact that on the parts of their motorway system that are unrestricted,they have to be very aware of the dot in the mirror that could be a car doing 300 kph.Poland as far as I’m aware does not have the traffic volume of the UK or Germany,nor the amount of motorways,so-all credit if limit has increased and statistics haven’t.

green456:
Horace, why do you try to derail every thread by bringing up the subject of life in other countries, no one is forcing you stay here,PLEASE RETURN TO POLAND if you wish and let us brits get on with life without you. Thankyou

Yeah, because for Britain learning from experiences of others is below their self-respect. Who needs to check in other countries how something is done, when it can be done British way. It might prove disastrous, but at least it will be British. :unamused:

You know, some nation (:P) has this saying “wise man learns from other people’s mistakes”. My point was that there is no point in breaking open the doors that were already opened - just look into others experience and you can spare yourself the whole discussion.

I am sorry that I wanted to help Britain by providing examples that can make some decissions it has to make easier.

And if you don’t like that people from other countries leave and have something to say in the country you live, try changing the country. I think North Corea is still pretty much walled from outside interference…

orys:

att:

According to the World health Organisation which gathers this information Germany has a slightly higher incidence of fatal road traffic accidents than the UK with approximately >3,500 deaths and Poland is considerably higher. :stuck_out_tongue:

orys:

green456:
I am sorry that I wanted to help Britain by providing examples that can make some decissions it has to make easier.

How has you coming to the UK to study whilst working part time helped Britain.
If you really want to help Britain go back to Poland and study .

44 Tonne Ton:
According to the World health Organisation which gathers this information Germany has a slightly higher incidence of fatal road traffic accidents than the UK with approximately >3,500 deaths and Poland is considerably higher. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s because many of German motorways are not up to todays standards, being build in 1930s and Poland, well, Poland so far has in fact two incomplete motorways and most traffic is going through the roads of much lower standard. That’s why there is much more accidents and fatalities - you don’t have much head on crashes on motorways while on single carriage roads this is quite common.

But relevant data I quoted is concerning only difference in motorway accidents before and after the speed limit was raised, since there is over 1100 kms of motorways we can see that it is sufficient sample to draw a conclusion that higher speed limits have no influence on the motorway safety. And that data is relevant to the topic of this particular discussion.

Also, what is interesting, the raise of speed limit from 130 to 140 (which is defacto 150, as only exceeding speed limit by more than 10 km/h is punishable) did not really caused people to drive faster. Most of the people were travelling with speeds around 130 km/h, give or take 10 km/h, and after speed limit was raised, vast majority of them did not changed their habits. So the only profit is that now if someone drives 140 km/h is not punished by the police. (There was no 10km/h margin under the old law).

Some German research showed that 130 km/h is the most comfortable speed to travel for most drivers, as the modern cars are designed to travel with that speed, so the fuel consumption and level of noise is still acceptable, and over that speed it grows rapidly.

I sorry I don’t give you links, but I quote and translate from the paper magazin I have on my desk in this very moment.

green456:
How has you coming to the UK to study whilst working part time helped Britain.
If you really want to help Britain go back to Poland and study .

No arguments, so you go personal? :slight_smile:

orys:

att:

^+1

It’s not very often that I agree with orys but credit where it’s due.

orys:
Some German research showed that 130 km/h is the most comfortable speed to travel for most drivers, as the modern cars are designed to travel with that speed, so the fuel consumption and level of noise is still acceptable, and over that speed it grows rapidly.

But for anyone who doesn’t give a zb about the environmentalists or brake and to who a V 12 running flat out through open exausts is better than listening to the radio the unlimited sections of the autobahn are just fine thanks. :smiley:

Carryfast:
But for anyone who doesn’t give a zb about the environmentalists or brake and to who a V 12 running flat out through open exausts is better than listening to the radio the unlimited sections of the autobahn are just fine thanks. :smiley:

Or to someone, who has to hurry for his delivery (do you know that lightly loaded sprinter is capable to do 97 mph on the flat and over 100 when it’s slightly downhill?) :grimacing: :grimacing: And some Germans in their short sprinters were overtaking me!

I doubt raising the limit will make much difference to the accident rate. Those who would drive at 80+ are already doing so and I should think most rear shunt accidents happen at below the present legal limit.

Saying that do I think the limit should be raised?
Not really, I don’t think it will improve journey times. Therefore what the point except to pander to the car lobby.
What would be better would be trying to improve lane dicipline and how to use slip roads

muckles:
I doubt raising the limit will make much difference to the accident rate. Those who would drive at 80+ are already doing so and I should think most rear shunt accidents happen at below the present legal limit.

Saying that do I think the limit should be raised?
Not really, I don’t think it will improve journey times. Therefore what the point except to pander to the car lobby.
What would be better would be trying to improve lane dicipline and how to use slip roads

^^THIS!!

All this gvt ever does is look for easy answers, when what is required is teaching people how to drive on a motorway before letting them loose on them.

I’ve known people (strangely though, both were women??) who would drive miles out of their way to avoid roundabouts because ‘they was not sure how to use them’, this was AFTER passing their tests :unamused:

I told them what an instructor told me once, easiest way to remember where to give way on a roundabout is ‘if you ■■■■ up, it’s going to hit your side’ :sunglasses:

Anyway, I think at certain times, in certain conditions, on certain motorways, we don’t need a speed limit. I bloody hate gettin’ pulled by cops at 0330 on way to work for exceeding a number, luckily I’ve never been done for it and do appreciate that a copper then does checks that the car is legal, safe and I am who I claim to be, but a scamera would just post a ticket to my house.

waynedl:
Anyway, I think at certain times, in certain conditions, on certain motorways, we don’t need a speed limit. I bloody hate gettin’ pulled by cops at 0330 on way to work for exceeding a number, luckily I’ve never been done for it and do appreciate that a copper then does checks that the car is legal, safe and I am who I claim to be, but a scamera would just post a ticket to my house.

This ^

I think M74 at night could be completely safe with speed limit of 90.

orys:

waynedl:

This ^

I think M74 at night could be completely safe with speed limit of 90.

Bollox. I wouldn’t trust you with this Orys never mind at 90 on the M74!

liveleak.com/view?i=bb1_1337000312