This is a prime example of why I hate my Tom Tom trucker

This morning I wanted to get from point A to point B. Only 20 minutes away.

Put it in the sat nav, then once it had given me a route I checked it against the map like always. I didn’t agree with the sat nav as I could see it was telling me to go through straight through a town when their was a by pass for said town that would bring me back to the same point.

So when I got to the point where the sat nav told me to turn off into the town I carried on. When it re routed me having passed the turn off I noticed the miles to destination was 1 extra. Yes only 1. And the arrival time was exactly the same.

As i came round the by pass I saw that at the next roundabout it would have been where I’d re join the by pass should I have followed my sat nav. As I went onto the roundabout I see 7.5t limit signs on that road. So my TRUCK sat nav was going to send me through a 7.5t limit to save me 1 mile.

Before any says it

Yes the by pass was in the sat nav maps. Not a new road.

No the 7.5t limit isn’t newer than the sat nav. (I could tell by how long those signs would have been there)

And yes my weight and vehicle dimensions in the sat nav are correct.

Waste of money. Should have got a snooper.

Weight limits aren’t always both ways, Thetford would be a good example of where it is only one way.

As said a thousand times before, Sat-Nav’s are not perfect and just an aid.
My TomTom 6000 truck is far from perfect, but I accept it’s just an aid, and therefore not an issue to me…

My Garmin DEZL 770LMT-D is also flaky. Can’t believe I spent 3 and a half ton on it. Poor buggy software, unintuitive and overly complicated, out of date maps.

■■■■■■ this is my first and will never buy a Garmin product again.

I only ever used my Garmin to find the front door. The route was always planned using a map.
Now it’s just used to give me an eta and my speed, because we all know sat nav speeds are more accurate!

SuperMultiBlue:
My Garmin DEZL 770LMT-D is also flaky. Can’t believe I spent 3 and a half ton on it. Poor buggy software, unintuitive and overly complicated, out of date maps.

[zb], this is my first and will never buy a Garmin product again.

I had a garmin car sat nav and it was a pile of ■■■■ as well. Very touchy and if I missed a turning it would keep telling me to “turn around where possible” before it eventually gave up and found another way. I chucked it in the bin when it was out of date and they wanted £90 to update the maps

Snooper is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I avoid problems like these by finding my own route using a map and memory.

Hope this helps.

A.

Am I the only one to have found Google maps on my phone? Free, and combined with the prudent use of a (approx) £10 truckers road map, almost fool proof.

Of course, I don’t get to have a 8"screen in my face telling me how to get from Bristol to Leeds, but so far I have managed to wing that bit…

Your preferences might be set for shortest route as opposed to fastest route/roads. Also, with some sat navs, you can select how strong your preferences are for motorways and A roads. I suspect were these preferences set up right it wouldn’t have tried to take you through the town centre. I’m not sure why it tried to take you through a 7.5 ton weight limit though. Are you sure you had it set to truck and not car?

I’ve noticed a lot of bridge heights are different by up to 6 inches from those in my sat nav. Sometime I notice a discrepancy between the height in the sat nav, the height indicated on my trucker’s map, and the actual height. I’ve had to lower my suspension once or twice.

That’s it just start the anti sat nav brigade off again :unamused:

xichrisxi:
That’s it just start the anti sat nav brigade off again :unamused:

Someone give Robroy a poke! :laughing:

the nodding donkey:
Am I the only one to have found Google maps on my phone? Free, and combined with the prudent use of a (approx) £10 truckers road map, almost fool proof…

Same. Google map on the phone, pick the best route, quickly check my new Phillips map that cost £15 and if it’s clear off we go.

During the war…

mrginge:

the nodding donkey:
Am I the only one to have found Google maps on my phone? Free, and combined with the prudent use of a (approx) £10 truckers road map, almost fool proof…

Same. Google map on the phone, pick the best route, quickly check my new Phillips map that cost £15 and if it’s clear off we go.

Me too. Not had a dedicated satnav for years and have never owned a truck one. Google maps has everything, traffic, satellite & Street view so you can suss out new destinations and nothing is a surprise when you arrive.

switchlogic:

mrginge:

the nodding donkey:

Me too. Not had a dedicated satnav for years and have never owned a truck one. Google maps has everything, traffic, satellite & Street view so you can suss out new destinations and nothing is a surprise when you arrive.

Yep agree with Luke and Ginger. Google maps, have a look the night before on the laptop good for traffic and street view etc :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
All mixed in with a decent map book, happy days :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

switchlogic:

mrginge:

the nodding donkey:

Completely agree, street view and satellite are excellent tools.

The traffic updates seem to be very accurate too.

A.

The-Snowman:

SuperMultiBlue:

[zb], this is my first and will never buy a Garmin product again.

I had a garmin car sat nav and it was a pile of [zb] as well. Very touchy and if I missed a turning it would keep telling me to “turn around where possible” before it eventually gave up and found another way. I chucked it in the bin when it was out of date and they wanted £90 to update the maps

I’ve got lifetime maps as well as traffic (which is also ■■■■■■

:frowning:

mrginge:

the nodding donkey:

Gets my vote. Even then the Phillips map doesn’t have all weight limits on because as far as I can remember apparently there is no central database of them unlike low bridges.

My Samsung phone has google maps, satellite or maps and navigation that works with both.