This cant be legal can it

one of our lot was telling me the new tautliner fridges comming in have a number plate holder thats too small[or the number plates too big],so he says you have to put the number plate in at 90 degrees to normal :open_mouth: :open_mouth: [i.e instead of numbers running across as normall there running down].
now my first reaction was why not just get a number plate that fits, then i think hes on a wind up.
but low and behold when i get back to yard theres one parked up with number plate as he said, numbers,letters running down not across plate.
now ive no idea whether its going out like that,i really cant believe it is, but if it did it surely wouldnt be legal would it :question: .
just cant see why you wouldnt just put a large elastic band or bungee round it as weve always done or is that too easy

i’d agree it must be illegal because the police number plate recognition thingys wouldn’t be able to read them so they wouldn’t be able to fine you and nobody wants that!

ady1,

Saw exactly that a couple of days ago! And I guess it’s not legal . . . . .

I would guess it all comes down to the wording of the law. I saw a driver put his number plate on upside down on the trailer. When it was pointed out by one of his co workers, he just replied.

So what, all the law says is the numberplate has to be displayed…which it is.

I would guess that it would be illegal, since there are strict rules on the typeface, spacing of the letters etc

Mr B:
i’d agree it must be illegal because the police number plate recognition thingys wouldn’t be able to read them so they wouldn’t be able to fine you and nobody wants that!

I would have thought the same,but then what about when you see a British unit pulling a continental trailer and the plate is flapping about in the wind on a couple of chains?
I remember when I did my MOT tester training,they had a car with the front no.plate laying on top of the dash.We were asked if that was a pass or fail.Everyone said fail and that was correct. They then pulled down the n/s sun visor and attached the plate to it with rubber bands.pass or fail? We all said fail but its a pass.All the law said at the time was that plates must be clearly visible and legible front and rear. No stipulation on how or where they were to be displayed.This was 15 years ago.Things have probably changed since then,but can’t find anything on Google about it.

The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

I think it would fall foul of section 15 - 4(b)/(f) amongst other things.

I suppose the solution to the situation would be:

a) fit a number plate holder that can fit a plate of the correct dimensions.
b) if a) isn’t possible, have a plate made that fits the holder.

Stobart has got loads of them.

macplaxton:
The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

I think it would fall foul of section 15 - 4(b)/(f) amongst other things.

I suppose the solution to the situation would be:

a) fit a number plate holder that can fit a plate of the correct dimensions.
b) if a) isn’t possible, have a plate made that fits the holder.

Fixing of rear registration plates: vehicles registered on or after the relevant date
5. - (1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines, first registered on or after the relevant date.

(2) A registration plate must be fixed on the rear of -

(a) the vehicle, or

(b) where the vehicle is towing a trailer, the trailer, or

(c) where the vehicle is towing more than one trailer, the rearmost trailer.

(3) Where a vehicle (or, in a case where the plate is required to be fixed on a trailer, that trailer) has been constructed so as to satisfy the requirements of the relevant type-approval directive, whether or not it is required by law to satisfy them, the plate may be fixed in the space provided in accordance with those requirements but if it is not so fixed it must be fixed in the manner required by paragraph (5).

(4) Except as provided in paragraph (3) the plate must be fixed in the manner required by paragraph (5).

(5) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed -

(a) vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable, and

(b) in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (6).

(6) The diagonal length of the relevant area is -

(a) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is at least 57 millimetres, 22 metres,

(b) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 50 millimetres, 21.5 metres,

(c) in the case of a mark having characters the width of which is 44 millimetres, 18 metres.

Bit of a two bob company you work for if they cant sort that small problem out! :unamused:

ROG:
(a) vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable

That bit “vertical” means the plate in relation to the floor, so it is perpendicular to it. (For example if a plate was stuck on a saloon bootlid (or car bonnet) it would be heading towards horizontal. Not the plate being rotated at all. If the plate is rotated 90 degrees so the characters are on their sides, then each digit would be too wide, not tall enough and not easily distinguishable.

DVLA do a V796 about it too.

Carnt they just turn the plate holders round? and then your plate would be the right way job done.

How can anyone who works in the haulage game fit the holders in the wrong plane?

I have seen tankers with the orange plate like it, and then people moan and squeal when they get done for it

Wheel Nut:
How can anyone who works in the haulage game fit the holders in the wrong plane?

I have seen tankers with the orange plate like it, and then people moan and squeal when they get done for it

Maybe they had the plans the wrong way up :open_mouth:

Highlander:

Mr B:

I remember when I did my MOT tester training,they had a car with the front no.plate laying on top of the dash.We were asked if that was a pass or fail.Everyone said fail and that was correct. They then pulled down the n/s sun visor and attached the plate to it with rubber bands.pass or fail? We all said fail but its a pass.All the law said at the time was that plates must be clearly visible and legible front and rear. No stipulation on how or where they were to be displayed.This was 15 years ago.Things have probably changed since then,but can’t find anything on Google about it.

My son is a tester, he says it will not fail the MOT if the front number plate is on the dashboard as long as it can be seen and read from the front.

Stobarts tauts are the same but ive noticed at there Carlisle depot they have big A4 sheets on the wall in reception that they MUST NOT drive like this or be in trouble.

Mr B:

I have asked the question about the ANPR on a site that has plenty of traffic cops on it -
ANPR question asked here