Thirsk to malton

I’ve got to go between thirsk and malton tomorrow my choices are up sutton bank to pickering then A169 to malton or down to A64. Is sutton bank open to artics I seem to remember something about cars with trailers been banned.

Mr B:
I’ve got to go between thirsk and malton tomorrow my choices are up sutton bank to pickering then A169 to malton or down to A64. Is sutton bank open to artics I seem to remember something about cars with trailers been banned.

Not sure if artics are actually banned from Sutton Bank, but I’d recommend the A19/A64

TC

not banned but if the roads at all wet/ greasy give it a miss, has the mother of all off camber hairpins at the top and once you stop its a long way back down ! i,ll only use it empty {up} or light coming down

The_Catman:

Mr B:

Not sure if artics are actually banned from Sutton Bank, but I’d recommend the A19/A64

TC

Hell of a long way round. If it’s wet just use the caravan route, it’s well signposted, a bit narrow in places, but perfectly adequate for artics.

I do it a few times a year loaded with a couple of tractors, but I’m not going as far as Malton when I go up it, so for the sake of about five miles take the A19/A64, but you will miss one hell of a veiw!!!

And if you do decide to go up loaded,pay attention to what the signs tell you to do,ie:low gear etc,and if your empty,then the same applies,but don’t give it the full beans,or you’ll end up spinning the wheels and baulking.Feather the throttle if you feel traction breaking.

If you have an auto,set off and keep it in manual,or the gearbox will be up and down like a fiddlers elbow,and again,you risk the problem of baulking.

I do believe that the local constabules don’t take to kindly to trucks causing problems on the bank if they get into trouble.

If you do go up,it is one hell of an experience,and not for the faint hearted.

Ken.

renaultman:
Hell of a long way round. If it’s wet just use the caravan route, it’s well signposted, a bit narrow in places, but perfectly adequate for artics.

Depends what you’re driving. Even the caravan route has some pretty dodgy hills in the wet if you’re in a fully freighted artic tipper. Took me three goes to get up one of them once :wink:

Paul

Thanks for the advice. I know how bad it is, I came down in the car on sunday but on this occasion I think I’ll bottle it and go round.
Baulking is that when the drive wheels spin and start skipping?

Quinny:
If you do go up,it is one hell of an experience,and not for the faint hearted.

Ken.

you’ve won me over im going to divert over it this morning on my way from doncaster to south emsall :bulb: :laughing: :laughing:

renaultman:
If it’s wet just use the caravan route, it’s well signposted, a bit narrow in places, but perfectly adequate for artics.

tis a loverly route lol, plenty of places to stop off. I always used to find my mate parked near a certain shop eating ice cream in the summer.

As for Sutton Bank, its deemed a badge of honour if you can make it up without getting stuck

I just attach some wings to top of my truck and paraglide down, i got the idea when having a picnic and saw other people paragliding down, abeit not in trucks :sunglasses: :sunglasses: but the principle remains the same.

The views on clear day are amazing…but need to work on the landings, its a tad bumpy at present when landing and i spill my coffee :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . And the boss cant understand why my truck gets through so many shock absorbers and suspension coils and is getting a little suspisious to say the least, i just shrug my shoulders :exclamation: :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

TIP: works better when your empty. :open_mouth: :blush: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

Have used Sutton Bank lots of times in an artic…but use your head, ive seen a few six leggers stuck on the first hairpin ,lifting the axle too late and not having the grip to get restarted the favourite problem, and 4x2 s if not enough weight on the drive axle .The other problem is if you do get stuck and have to reverse when the road is wet ,slippery with leaves or mud, is the truck sliding when you apply the brakes trying to get back down the hill (something ive seen happen). I also recall there may be signs pointing out it is an offence if you proceed when there is a chance your vehicle may get stuck so be careful !!.

take that route lots of times , but needs some respect, eg if in auto switch to manuel. if you have four wheel unit lots of weight on drive axle. and the view matches anything the alps has to offer (on a clear day), but its that first hair pin that can be the killer

daf3300:
take that route lots of times , but needs some respect, eg if in auto switch to manuel. if you have four wheel unit lots of weight on drive axle. and the view matches anything the alps has to offer (on a clear day), but its that first hair pin that can be the killer

How do you aproach that first hairpin it looks evil! I’m guessing you have to be on the wrong side of the road almost entirely which gives you little chance to see what’s coming round the second.

Mr B:

daf3300:

How do you aproach that first hairpin it looks evil! I’m guessing you have to be on the wrong side of the road almost entirely which gives you little chance to see what’s coming round the second.

You do! You have to make yourself really big and be brave, hopefully someones coming down the bank has seen you, and stopped to give you some road.