Third time unlucky

Twice at PSTT but as it’s too far I went for the nearest option.
Two days for 3 hrs training to get used to another vehicle (draw bar this time for a change). No problems on the road, just taking turns too wide as if I was driving an artic (almost running out of the road as it’s not just a cab that’s turning but a long vehicle and the smaller trailer is perfectly following you). The instructor had no major issues with me driving forward but when we got in the reversing area, then he got concerned as we didn’t have much time.
Finally on the second day I managed to save the reverse with a shunt or two. It was a bit messy but passable.
No issues with coupling, got that quickly. It’s probably more difficult than with an artic but the instructor wanted me to practice the reverse more as the rest was fine.

So today a couple of reverses, one went bad, second one ok. The instructor reminded me about a tug test as a guy before me just failed on that.
The examiner turned out to be a nice guy, not like some grumpy ones, asked me two questions, which on one I wasn’t able to answer :blush: (but he really wanted me to say what he needed to hear and with his suggestions it went fine).
Reversing: absolutely messy, two shunts (after the first one the examiner asked me not to panick and start thinking), but got there. Not a pretty reverse but he couldn’t have failed me (as the instructor said).
Then the easy part: coupling/uncoupling where it all went wrong. I couldn’t line up the lorry with the trailer. It wasn’t as it should be. And I was too far. In all that despair I put in reverse and hoping for the best smashed into the trailer missing the pin.
I started panicking that it was taking me too long to line up properly (not a problem during the training) and that he would fail me for unreasonable time it’s taking.
Lesson learnt.
I’ll come back anyway.

Sorry to hear it went wrong, got it done then that nagging voice in the back of your head saying go faster or your going to fail for… and it goes wrong, at least it closer to home all the best for next time

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk