Third time lucky

Finally passed my C+E and with a clean sheet. After my second fail I finally went out and did some agency Class 2 work. Just nine days but it made all the difference. Looking back I find it hard to understand why anyone would recommend going straight from Class 2 pass to Class 1 training. Those nine days were like extra lessons except I was actually getting paid for them. I understand the philosophy of not having too long a gap, but for me that short burst of independent driving turned me into a different driver and I regret not having done it before. To anyone considering making the jump immediately, my experience is don’t. It’s costly, demoralising, and an unnecessary risk. Of course some people may have a different experience, but for me that’s definitely how it worked out.

Congratulations on your pass!!!

I failed my first C+E test then did 16 Class 2 shifts took it again and passed, I didn’t plan it that way it was just the way things panned out at the time. I failed the first test with one serious; pulled onto a roundabout causing a car coming onto the roundabout to slow down, I did see the car approach but misjudged how long it would take for me to get moving, the approach to the roundabout was on a slight gradient which threw me out. I have never thought about whether the extra 16 Class 2 shifts helped or not, the initial training I received left me feeling ready for the test and despite the outcome I actual drove better on the first test than the second test and consider myself unlucky to have made one error in judgement and not passed first time around. I think it has a lot to do with confidence, a pass is obviously going to be more difficult to achieve if you lack confidence and if you can gain confidence by doing paid work then why not.

Anyhow, crack on drive, it’s all history now!!

wanderingstar:
Finally passed my C+E and with a clean sheet.

Thanks both. Interesting Micky - I have a feeling everyone is different and your story seems to bear that out. Awesome animations Rog - thank you - makes it all worth while, my final moment of glory haha! :laughing:

Congrats pal, now part of the VAN towing club! :smiley:
(I’m struggling to come up with something better than bender and it’s not working. :laughing:)

I agree that a bit of experience on VAN driving is like extra lessons, and think the few months I did it helped me pass C+E first time. Not all prescribe to this, but I know of one person who was lucky enough to pass one straight after enough, but he now looks back and says he was lucky, and if had to do it again would drive a van first for a while…

Best of luck moving forward pal, it’s the reversing that’s going to screw you for a while! :grimacing:

Well done! Got in before the new test subjects. With the out vote you`ll soon be needing lessons in T2s and Carnets De TIR.

wanderingstar:
… Awesome animations Rog

:grimacing: CONGRATULATIONS on passing your LGV “C+E” test :smiley:
:smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley: :grimacing: :smiley: :smiley:

:bulb: It was worth the wait. :wink:

The OP makes a very good, valid point about not going straight to CE. But, as said, we should also accept that everyone’s different. I’ve had hundreds/possibly thousands of folks go straight to CE with little difficulty. I had plenty who have gained experience on C then gone for CE. Some have succeeded straight away; some have had all sorts of problems.

The best advice, IMO, is to follow the route along which you feel most comfortable.

Congratulations, Wanderingstar, on your clean sheet. Another one on our score board!

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

So Pete, am I on the leader board of first time passes with the most minors? :open_mouth:

Thanks Evil and Franglais - and totally love those fireworks Dave! Pete I won’t argue with your numbers. There is definitely a personality and temperament element in all this. And luck. But I think it would be tough to argue that a couple of weeks driving in between wouldn’t boost most people’s chances.