Thinking of trucking

Hi all,

Been lurking here a while but thought I would post. I am possibly being made redundant over the next month or so and am thinking of getting into trucking. For some reason it really appeals to me, although I have no idea why really :smiley:

Not a stranger to driving as have been doing 30-35000 miles a year with work, also have some van/7.5t experience. My first 7.5t was trial by fire, picking it up in Manchester city centre at rush hour, driving to mid Wales then having to reverse 30 meters up a 45 degree incline through a gateway that was a foot wider than the truck.

My questions really are, as money hopefully shouldn’t be a problem (redundancy payout) should I go for the full C+E straight away or just the C licence and try and get work and experience that way.

Not sure what I need for provisional either, already have c1 as I passed my test 20 years ago.

Also how is business at the mo, see a lot on here saying here is no work, but then lots of ‘driver shortage’ messages too

Any help/advice gratefully received.

You can’t go for the c+ce until you’ve passed your c as far as i know

You will need a medical then need to do theory & HPT also 35 hrs periodic training before 2014

Find a training provider that you are happy with go for assessments at several before you decide

No driver shortage but there might be a job shortage just like every other industry :unamused: if you think about it you will see this

Depends where you live as to what jobs are available some areas are better than others & just because a job is advertised it may be through an agency & all of the agency in your area will be advertising the same job

Your 7.5 t or c1 as it is now / van work count as zero experience with your Cat C or CE sorry to say

Welcome to TNUK.

There are two schools of thought on it. You can do your C and then your CE a couple of weeks after, or you can get some C experience first and do the CE later. I personally did them back-to-back.
You will need to pass a medical to get your provisional entitlement (and send your licence to the DVLA) and you will have to pass the theory and hazard perception tests.

Your C1 gives you a ‘vocational’ licence so you will not need to complete the drivers CPC until 2014.

Reading the posts on here, work is hard to find right now, particularly before you have two years experience. Not impossible but difficult.

Hope that helps.
Alan

Oh btw a truck is an American phrase that they use for a pick up which is little more than a car :laughing: :laughing:

Yep I am old to me it is a lorry simple