Thinking of taking Class 1

Hi chaps,

Thinking of taking my Class 1 training and test. A few questions, if you pass the drive but fail on say the reverse and have to retake again, do you just take the reverse test again or do you have to do the whole thing again?

Secondly I would prefer to do the lessons in a semi-auto vehicle, are these quite common now in HGV 1 land? I know HGV2 they are. I suppose it depends on the training school?

Best Regards,

Paul

Anyone can drive auto. Go for manual.

Newbies section will give you all the answers and even some good case studies.
Although the ability to go straight for class 1 was dropped in the 90’s youl need class c test and shenanigans first (class 2) then once passed go for class c+e (class 1).

I believe you do have to take all the test again even if you fail just one part.

Autos vs manuals is a minefield of arguments, if it was me starting from scratch I would do me class one in an auto and if succesfull ask for some tuition on a manual. But thats just me.

And of course you will have to take the whole test again if you fail the reverse…

Do you already have LGV C ? - if not then that must be passed before going for LGV C+E

The old HGV classes ended in the early 90s

As said - the newbies forum is the best place to get all the info

You can also click the link in my signature below

If you already have a HGV class 2 (C) licence and you have had a it a while, you have a big advantage as you can do the 35 hours grandfather rights CPC bollox but if you are doing the lot from scratch then read the new drivers section as you need to do mod 2 mod 4 etc. etc. Minefield these days :unamused:

Hi,

Yes, already have Class C (passed 1992). I can drive manuals, just prefer autos these days.

Cheers,

Paul

pikieb:
Hi,

Yes, already have Class C (passed 1992). I can drive manuals, just prefer autos these days.

Cheers,

Paul

You can take C+E auto and get manual so no worries there

Do you already have a DQC ?

Yep have DQC.

pikieb:
Yep have DQC.

If you can find an auto C+E trainer that has their practical training dcpc approved then paying a little more will get you between 14 and 28 hours dcpc hours towards your next 35

No theory or medical etc needed to do C+E - just the on road/reverse/un-couple test

where in UK are you ?

Thanks chaps for the above. I am in Northants.

Check out LGVTrainers, passed C+E with them recently and it was a breeze. All their units are auto and you do the test from their yard, so you’ll do your reverse in the same place you do the test from.

If u fail the reverse exercise or the uncouple recouple u fail the whole test buddy

Thanks all, thanks Jav, will check them out.

Good to hear they have autos (not that I cannot drive a manual of course) - they are just so much easier now.

Until you go for an assessment in a geared truck and look a complete plank.

Assuming the test hasn’t changed…

The first thing you do is the reverse exercise in the test centre; if you fail it then thats it, bang it’s all over - however they (use to) give you the option to continue with the test anyway as a training exercise - after all you have paid for it. So take that option - its helpful to do the drive under test conditions and the examiner will mark the drive as normal so you get good feedback.

Then you book retest, and start over again - reverse, uncouple/re-couple, emergency braking, drive, questions etc.

I was going to say I am certain I done the reverse before heading out for the driving part of my test.

war1974:
I was going to say I am certain I done the reverse before heading out for the driving part of my test.

I did that as well.

Do it in the 3 pedal auto Scania if you can, because it’s got a clutch (that you only use for stopping/pulling away) it counts as a manual