Thinking of going for hgv training for a new career but

Hi all,
I am thinking training for hgv, I am 43. I have a clean license after my points were removed in April this year (ac10/ac20/cd10)Very unfortunate incident which I was not directly involved in but penalised, its a long story … .If I pass all the relevant stuff will I be able to get a job? Don’t want waste time and money.My crb will still show the offences until next year (5 years spent)
thanks in advance.

They’re not the type of codes that some employers will turn a blind eye to. You may find it very hard to get employment but not impossible.
The only thing is be wary of is that anyone who will employ you might not be the type of company worth working for.

If you have the money available and it’s something you’ve always wanted to do then go for it. If wasting that amount of money will cause you problems, probably best to save it.

Have a read of how other newbies fared in this forum and check what your local opportunities are like for newbie LGV drivers perhaps by getting the views of other LGV drivers and employers in your area

Do not believe what agencies say as many just want you on their books to increase numbers

Many think that getting the licence is the hard part but although difficult for some that is just the start of the journey to getting permanent full time LGV employment

You might be in the right place at the right time and land a full time perm job or you may spend months only getting one or two days a week on average with an agency until you strike lucky

The more effort you put into trying to get a start the more chances you will have

You have to get out there and get a job and be prepared for knock back after knock back

justin_case:
Hi all,
I am thinking training for hgv, I am 43. I have a clean license after my points were removed in April this year (ac10/ac20/cd10)Very unfortunate incident which I was not directly involved in but penalised, its a long story … .If I pass all the relevant stuff will I be able to get a job? Don’t want waste time and money.My crb will still show the offences until next year (5 years spent)
thanks in advance.

Your chances of getting a job driving trucks are slim to zero. And don’t believe what training companies tell you because they obviously have a vested interest. :bulb: You should focus your attentions on a different career path.

Rob K:
And don’t believe what training companies tell you because they obviously have a vested interest.

Besides brokers, which training schools state an unrealistic view of their local job market ?

Thanks for the input guys cheers !