Thinking of giving up the search

dcgpx:

ProudNewbie:

dcgpx:
What did they say last time you went looking ?

Must be some clue why they’ve not given you a chance .

I’ve just been chased for 2 jobs today by agency for temp to perm.

One I’m interest in based at Euroway so jobs are available and that wasn’t even applying just they got my CV off CV library apparently

Something must be stopping you, and it’s not just experience, age? Attitude test?

Clearly an obstacle somewhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I’ve said before, I have no idea where I’m going wrong? I phoned Couple of places I’d been to for assessments for feedback they told me it wasn’t my attitude, it’s purely down to lack of experience, their words not mine.

What experience do you have?

Not much driving experience, plenty of warehouse and customer service experience, I have done some container work out of Leeds through a subbie in Bradford but he only calls me if one of his drivers calls in sick which isn’t very often.

ProudNewbie:

dcgpx:

ProudNewbie:
Not much driving experience, plenty of warehouse and customer service experience, I have done some container work out of Leeds through a subbie in Bradford but he only calls me if one of his drivers calls in sick which isn’t very often.

I’d be tempted to rephrase your experience

For the “some container work “ …

It’s now “ I’ve done container collections and deliveries to various customers premises and shipping ports”

You’ve not lied and it’s open ended, no only done some that highlights your inexperience.

You can highlight that you can load unload, can check delivery/collection paperwork accurately , have excellent customer focus and can work to timescale under pressure etc

Tell them what you can do . If it’s not exactly on a truck then be vague but never lie

Does your warehousing work have any interaction with trucks ?

If so you could say have experience of tail lifts, curtain sides etc

dcgpx:
Something must be stopping you, and it’s not just experience, age? Attitude test?

Agreed.
I suspect it is something very obvious as to why your not getting jobs.
From what you’ve said your willing to commute, you will do any work and you have no points on your licence.
You mentioned a few times about companies unwilling to insure you so dunno if there might a issue in there somewhere.

From everything you have said you should be getting jobs easily. So I can only think there is something your not telling us that is impeding your search for jobs. E.g. maybe your morbidly obese as I’ve seen overweight people discriminated against or maybe your transgender as I have seen discrimination based on that as well. I don’t think your race whatever it is would of made it this difficult for you to find a job.

I’ve had my licence about 6 months less then you and I’m getting at least 2 emails a day with offers for work and have had countless texts/calls with agencies trying to sign me up.

adam277:

dcgpx:

Agreed.
I suspect it is something very obvious as to why your not getting jobs.
From what you’ve said your willing to commute, you will do any work and you have no points on your licence.
You mentioned a few times about companies unwilling to insure you so dunno if there might a issue in there somewhere.

From everything you have said you should be getting jobs easily. So I can only think there is something your not telling us that is impeding your search for jobs. E.g. maybe your morbidly obese as I’ve seen overweight people discriminated against or maybe your transgender as I have seen discrimination based on that as well. I don’t think your race whatever it is would of made it this difficult for you to find a job.

I’ve had my licence about 6 months less then you and I’m getting at least 2 emails a day with offers for work and have had countless texts/calls with agencies trying to sign me up.

I’m phoning/emailing agencies on a daily basis with whom I’ve signed up they promise a call back after speaking to the company about my lack of experience but like I said I don’t hear owt back. The race thing did cross my mind Tbh but surely companies out there are no longer so prejudice about one’s color of skin rather than their merit. But that’s a different tpoic/post. Maybe because I work night shifts in my current warehouse job so when I get up usually late afternoon all offices are closed in regards to speaking to someone directly. I know ow long shot but just a thought

Loads of jobs going in Bradford area…

Shipley transport advertising…
DHL on the Marks & Sparks contract…
Mark Lee…
Maritime in Leeds…

You are either being picky or not trying hard enough I’m afraid.

When I passed my test I was working nights in a warehouse like you.
My job hunt was severely impeded by the fact I was extremely reluctant to leave my current F/T work in order to do agency work which is obviously not guaranteed. I tried for a bit to try and do the hgv work in my spare time/days off but the agencies weren’t willing to accommodate someone with zero experience.

In the end I found a FT job but maybe your situation is similar if so I can understand why as you no doubt have financial commitments so you can’t just leave a FT job for agency.

Stop going on about your skin colour ffs. As most have said, it’s a piece of ■■■■ to get work round that area.

Get your arse down to about 6 agencies and sign up with them. Take any class 1 crap work/shifts offered and start gaining some experience.

Otherwise, dry your eyes and man the brush.

Pink link in Hudds are advertising for drivers on back of their motors

The thing is, you don’t need two years’ experience and never have. You just need to have had a full licence for two years. Many of the larger logistics companies prefer new drivers to experienced drivers with their ingrained habits anyway.

Harry Monk:
The thing is, you don’t need two years’ experience and never have. You just need to have had a full licence for two years. Many of the larger logistics companies prefer new drivers to experienced drivers with their ingrained habits anyway.

Even that goes out the window when they need drivers. I’ve had my Class 1 less than. 2yrs and not been short of offers

dcgpx:

Harry Monk:

Even that goes out the window when they need drivers. I’ve had my Class 1 less than. 2yrs and not been short of offers

I agree. I passed my test last year and applied for 5 jobs and was offered 3. I will not say they were great jobs, 1 certainly wasn’t. However they were experience and having got 6 months on my card companies that state 2 years are quite happy for me to come in and have a chat. It is just getting that initial start that can be hard depending on the area

adam277:
When I passed my test I was working nights in a warehouse like you.
My job hunt was severely impeded by the fact I was extremely reluctant to leave my current F/T work in order to do agency work which is obviously not guaranteed. I tried for a bit to try and do the hgv work in my spare time/days off but the agencies weren’t willing to accommodate someone with zero experience.

In the end I found a FT job but maybe your situation is similar if so I can understand why as you no doubt have financial commitments so you can’t just leave a FT job for agency.

I’d like to say you’ve nailed it, as regards to agency. its not guaranteed hours. I did make the mistake of leaving my permanent job to do driving work with an agency (won’t mention name) and four weeks later got a text saying “we’ve lost the contract so won’t be needing your services any longer” and that went for their other drivers as well, more experienced ones. So I had the pleasure of phoning up my former boss to ask for my job back, luckily he gladly took me back on.

Don’t downtown have a depot round that way?

vikingpete:
Don’t downtown have a depot round that way?

Yes at Morley … strange one though, if you are a brand new driver they want you out with one of their lads for a couple of weeks. But one of their lads is always out with someone else. However if you will take nights, Thurs-Mon I think its a case of there’s the keys drive.

Another couple for the OP …

Moran logistics either direct or through ARM personnel I think it is
Londis/Booker again the agency is Talstaff. They are at Elmsall so a little out the way but run class 1 & 2 and if you can’t get a run out for them, its definatly time to give up

A Davies are moving to Ossett soon by the looks of it. They were advertising for Class 1&2 recently.

Poundstretcher in Hudds are advertising too. I went to an interview there back in 2012 when I’d just got my class 1. They offered me a start, but I turned it down in the end as it would be on the wagon and drag.

Give Farsley transport a ring. Good trucks. Decent fella. Money not the best but they are will to give people a go if you’re straight with them.

Failing all the companies thats been mentioned…AGENCY is the way forward…not ideal…but you will gain valuable experience…and 2 years is way too long to be looking for work…are you sure your looking hard enough !!

In my experience…Since 2009 when I got my class 1…I started in a permanent job the day after, no agency, straight in, that was Advanced, based in Bradford but operating out of Newhaven in Sussex, close to where I was living.
I quit that after 18 months to move north to Lincs. Had no trouble getting jobs on a casual basis since then, always seemed to be a driver shortage in my mind, so coming by work was easy.

I gave it all up 2 months back and have to say that my mental health is the best it has ever been, no silly o`clock starts, no putting up with knobhead drivers, no rubbish food, no stress basically…Not being treated like dog muck is the best though…Silly H&S rubbish is a memory, billybigbollocks drivers are a thing of the past…It is a thoroughly unhealthy industry in every way, if you have any sense, you will go and find a proper job…

att:
In my experience…Since 2009 when I got my class 1…I started in a permanent job the day after, no agency, straight in, that was Advanced, based in Bradford but operating out of Newhaven in Sussex, close to where I was living.
I quit that after 18 months to move north to Lincs. Had no trouble getting jobs on a casual basis since then, always seemed to be a driver shortage in my mind, so coming by work was easy.

I gave it all up 2 months back and have to say that my mental health is the best it has ever been, no silly o`clock starts, no putting up with knobhead drivers, no rubbish food, no stress basically…Not being treated like dog muck is the best though…Silly H&S rubbish is a memory, billybigbollocks drivers are a thing of the past…It is a thoroughly unhealthy industry in every way, if you have any sense, you will go and find a proper job…

Thoroughly unhealthy and UNFAIR industry too in my opinion. And I’m saying so from personal experience since having my class 1 for 2 years and still no job. Like I mentioned earlier everywhere I was going just got told to bugger off basically despite being fully qualified, OK no experience but how does one get experience without that first opportunity. I can only say the industry has lost a another good driver